You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roll On Tuesday

Red Nick

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably his most important game since Benitez became manager. Nobody gave us a prayer in 2005 but we are now amongst equals.

Really?

Chelsea - Played 35 - Points 80

Liverpool - Played 36 - Points 67

Liverpool spent about 80 million since Rafa took charge

Chelsea spent about 170 million in same period.

They've averaged 13 points more than us over those 3 years.

Really?

Chelsea - Played 35 - Points 80

Liverpool - Played 36 - Points 67

Liverpool spent about 80 million since Rafa took charge

Chelsea spent about 170 million in same period.

They've averaged 13 points more than us over those 3 years.

The point I am making is that we are not the underdogs as we were in 2005. This is Cup Football and in that respect, we are as good as any in the last 4.

Come on you mighty Reds

Were gonna win Tuesday so lets keep it positive in here at least till Wednesday.

Even Dirky boy is going to take every chance that comes his way

The whole team will play an absolute blinder

The team saw Rafa's bad side at HT v Chelsea and I can assure everyone they dont want to see it again

We will win

YNWA

Have you ever entered an empty stadium? Try it. Stand in the middle of the field and listen. There is nothing less empty than an empty stadium. There is nothing less mute than stands bereft of people.

At Wembley, shouts from the ‘66 World Cup which England won still resound, and if you listen very closely you can hear groans from 1953 when England fell to the Hungarians. Montevideo’s Centenario Stadium sighs with nostalgia for the glory days of Uruguayan football. Maracana is still crying over Brazil’s 1950 World Cup defeat.

At Bombonera in Buenos Aires, drums boom from half a century ago. From the depths of Azteca Stadium, you can hear the ceremonial chants of the ancient Mexican ball game. The concrete terraces of the Nou Camp in Barcelona speak Catalan, and the stands of San Mames in Bilbao talk in Euskera.

In Milan, the ghost of Giuseppe Meazza scores goals that shake the stadium bearing his name. The final of the ‘74 World Cup, won by Germany, is played day after day and night after night at Munich’s Olympic Stadium.

The stadium of King Fahd in Saudi Arabia has marble and gold boxes and carpeted stands, but it has no memory or much of anything to say.

Eduardo Galeano, Football in Sun and Shadow, 1995

On Monday evening Chelsea will train in an empty stadium. The loudest empty stadium in the world. It’ll whisper to them of Liverpool’s five glorious European Cup victories. Kopites now long departed will take up their specs again and invoke visions in the Chelsea minds of St. Etienne, Inter Milan, Auxerre, Roma, Barcelona, Olympiakos and Juventus.

The stands will echo to songs of triumph and glory, of the dignity of Elisha Scott and Billy Liddell, the heart of Ian St John and Emlyn Hughes, the strength of Tommy Smith and Graeme Souness, and the brilliance of John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish.

And when the Chelsea players look around, nervously, to see where these evocations are coming from they’ll see no one there. They’ll return to their hotel and struggle to sleep as their minds are filled with thoughts of Reds coming up that hill once more, victorious and glorious. They’ll toss and turn to painful memories from two years ago.

And on Tuesday evening it is up to us, today’s fans, to do our footballing ancestors proud at Anfield once again. Tuesday night is a chance for Glory, both on and off the pitch.

Do your best Reds, for there’s nothing more you can do, and Rafa’s team will have the chance to emulate the great teams of yore in Athens.

This can and will be OUR year.

..............Reina...............

Finnan Carra Agger Arbeloa

.........Chief......Xabi.........

Jermania...Stevie......JARgh

.............Crouch..............

Would be my preferred team.... Who was it we twatted with that formation earlier this year? The Arse?

Have you ever entered an empty stadium? Try it. Stand in the middle of the field and listen. There is nothing less empty than an empty stadium. There is nothing less mute than stands bereft of people.

At Wembley, shouts from the ‘66 World Cup which England won still resound, and if you listen very closely you can hear groans from 1953 when England fell to the Hungarians. Montevideo’s Centenario Stadium sighs with nostalgia for the glory days of Uruguayan football. Maracana is still crying over Brazil’s 1950 World Cup defeat.

At Bombonera in Buenos Aires, drums boom from half a century ago. From the depths of Azteca Stadium, you can hear the ceremonial chants of the ancient Mexican ball game. The concrete terraces of the Nou Camp in Barcelona speak Catalan, and the stands of San Mames in Bilbao talk in Euskera.

In Milan, the ghost of Giuseppe Meazza scores goals that shake the stadium bearing his name. The final of the ‘74 World Cup, won by Germany, is played day after day and night after night at Munich’s Olympic Stadium.

The stadium of King Fahd in Saudi Arabia has marble and gold boxes and carpeted stands, but it has no memory or much of anything to say.

Eduardo Galeano, Football in Sun and Shadow, 1995

On Monday evening Chelsea will train in an empty stadium. The loudest empty stadium in the world. It’ll whisper to them of Liverpool’s five glorious European Cup victories. Kopites now long departed will take up their specs again and invoke visions in the Chelsea minds of St. Etienne, Inter Milan, Auxerre, Roma, Barcelona, Olympiakos and Juventus.

The stands will echo to songs of triumph and glory, of the dignity of Elisha Scott and Billy Liddell, the heart of Ian St John and Emlyn Hughes, the strength of Tommy Smith and Graeme Souness, and the brilliance of John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish.

And when the Chelsea players look around, nervously, to see where these evocations are coming from they’ll see no one there. They’ll return to their hotel and struggle to sleep as their minds are filled with thoughts of Reds coming up that hill once more, victorious and glorious. They’ll toss and turn to painful memories from two years ago.

And on Tuesday evening it is up to us, today’s fans, to do our footballing ancestors proud at Anfield once again. Tuesday night is a chance for Glory, both on and off the pitch.

Do your best Reds, for there’s nothing more you can do, and Rafa’s team will have the chance to emulate the great teams of yore in Athens.

This can and will be OUR year.

Isn't that a revised version of a piece that was written two years ago? I was looking for it on here but I couldn't find it, maybe I read it on another forum.

I understand where you're coming from, losing away without scoring a goal is far from ideal. I still feel this tie is very much in the balance, it can definately go either way.

Of course it can, doesn't mean we're not the under dog though. Frankly I'd prefer to be the underdog than favourite we seem to thrive on it.

Couldnt give a monkeys what the media or forum say after the match, Rafa has led us to 4 trophies in his time (community shield counts cos we batterted those cocks) Tuesday will be tough but this guy knows his stuff, realistically stamford bridge was not the worst result and there is no need to panic come second leg he will choose and direct our team to Athens - why? cos he must! mancs and chelsea in champions league final would be and is worst nightmare - summer of 2005 and 2006 were class this one would be fn disgusting - id bin my sky for a start!

Rafa will play cautious. We will sit back, get a clean sheet and get a fluky goal. I think that will be his gameplan. And it might even work. And if it does work he will be worshipped like a god. On the other side, if we play defensively at Anfield and dont win he will get slaughtered in the papers and on the forums for not playing gerrard in the middle and attacking more.

eh! what you saying , make up your mind its positive or negative.O_o

eh! what you saying , make up your mind its positive or negative.O_o

Im just saying how Rafa could be slaughtered or worshipped for doing exactly the same thing:)

Im definitely positive, it's only half time and they only have a 1-0 lead. This is Anfield, I was there for the Barca game and the atmosphere was great, you could just feel how the crow spurred the players on, against Chelsea I cant even imagine the sound levels. Come on reds