You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ball, Harvey, Kendall

Hermes

Just been described by the Everton PA announcer as the greatest midfield in the history of English football.

Harvey 1 international cap.

Kendall none.

They`re right....on a par with the great Blackburn midfield of Warhurst, Flitcroft and Atkins.

On a serious note; frighteningly deluded the bitters.

It was a great midfield trio (doubt it was the greatest though), and they played in a time when England caps weren't handed out to practically anyone.

Is the number of international caps a player earns a mark of how good they are?

Not for England at this time, no, fucking hell Keiron Richardson gets a game!

But then, yeah defo, but if England caps mean fuck all, how many championships/cup winners medals have they got between them?

They are Everton's best midfield. I wouldnt say that they were the best midfield in English football. The international caps thing doesnt mean anything. Phil Neville has over 50 England caps, so does that make him the greatest Albert Steptoe look-a-like in the history of English football?

how many championships/cup winners medals have they got between them?

....and they were so great that Everton finished 14th the season after winning the league with those 3 in the midfield. Ball was class, the other two were mediocre.

If you earn none and one, I'd say so.

So by that logic then Tommy Smith wasn't that good because he only had 1 cap.

What about Ian Callaghan with 5 caps or Chris Lawler with only 4 caps were do you draw the line on England caps, how many do you need to be recognised as a great player.

What about Ian Callaghan with 5 caps or Chris Lawler with only 4 caps were do you draw the line on England caps, how many do you need to be recognised as a great player.

Who has ever described those 3 as being "the best in the history of English football"?

It was a great midfield trio (doubt it was the greatest though), and they played in a time when England caps weren't handed out to practically anyone.

Is the number of international caps a player earns a mark of how good they are?

If you earn none and one, I'd say so.

Who has ever described those 3 as being "the best in the history of English football"?

No one but that is not the question. FortressAnfield simply asked is the number of caps a player recieves a measure of how good he is.

You replied that if you only recieve none and one I'd say so.

So again I ask you do you not consider Chris Lawler, Tommy Smith and Ian Callaghan great players simply because they didn't win many international caps?

England caps don't really give a good indication of how good someone is. I'm sure Howard Kendall and Colin Harvey were better players that Geoff Thomas and Carlton Palmer.

In my opinion Chris Lawler was the best Liverpool full back ever, the fact that he won only 4 England caps is immaterial. How much would an attacking full back be worth now who could score 61 goals without needing penalties or free kicks? He could also play centre back equally as good. Alves is rated at about 17M so how much would Chris Lawler be worth?.

With regards to Ball Harvey and Kendall, I think Everton are OTT calling them the best midfield ever, but then again Bill Kenwright did say once that they invented the beautiful game and not Brazil so nothing should really surprise us.

I might have mis-heard, but I thought they were being described by everyone as "the greatest English midfield trio..." not "the greatest midfield in the history of English football."

That would narrow it down a bit. I hear David Beckham offered to do the tribute speech at Goodison. He said "I'm a dead ball expert".