You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Players Should Cough Up For Nurses

Jay Glover

Who here would genuinely consider giving a fair chuck of money to charity on a regular basis if they earn't an extreme amount of money?

If I was Gerrard earning 90k a week I'd be looking at giving out £20k per week at least to good causes, probably far more. I don't think i'd feel comfortable in doing nothing for those less fortunate than me.

Do you currently give a regular payment to good causes?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liberal Democracy is just fascism for fannies. Discuss.

If you want people to discuss something like that, you have to propose justification for your point of view so people can rebut it.

Otherwise it could be seen as just trolling ;)

Bad Dirk.

I'm a relatively regular giver to charities yes. I give as and when, and what I can afford.

Would I be buying cars or giving 100k to a Hospice. I'm pretty sure it'd be the latter.

I only asked because there seem to be plenty of people who would give a chunk to charity if they won the lottery but don't seem to think that they could easily spare a tenner for Oxfam a month to try and get people some clean water.

Although Reo-Koker has his heart in the right place, he could have picked perhaps a more worthy course in asking his fellow Pros to cough up with a weeks wages.I say this having discussed the matter with my missus who has been a nurse for over 30 years.Where do you draw the line here ? There are care workers on minimum wage with little hope of progression for the most.As for the publication of who is in and who is not, then this is not really good practice. People should give because they wish to give and those who choose not to, should not be judged.'Feed the World Reo' and perhaps you and your fellow Pros may be seen in a better light off the field.

Who here would genuinely consider giving a fair chuck of money to charity on a regular basis if they earn't an extreme amount of money?

If I was Gerrard earning 90k a week I'd be looking at giving out £20k per week at least to good causes, probably far more. I don't think i'd feel comfortable in doing nothing for those less fortunate than me.

I think most people would. But 'lesser mortals' can make a huge difference if they choose to do so and hold the value to do so.

If a person thinks they can only be generous in giving money away to causes dear to them when they are wealthy, then it will likely never happen.

Many people seem to live off 105% of what they earn, be that £20K or £50K per annum. If some lifestyle choices are made and people arranged their finances such that they could live off 90% of what they made (very possible if you want to do it) then your chosen charities would benefit greatly, through planned and systematic giving, all from the average man in the street.

Not that it's here nor there, but we've been doing this in our house for a long time and it has been very fulfilling to sponsor children in poor parts of the world, help to fund orphanages etc. There's other ways you could get involved besides money of course (time, free professional help etc.) Still, this is a bit of a tangent, but I suppose my main point is that most people can make a real difference if they choose to, and the campaign to go after Prem footballers to give to nurses is a bit misguided IMO.

I think most people would. But 'lesser mortals' can make a huge difference if they choose to do so and hold the value to do so.

If a person thinks they can only be generous in giving money away to causes dear to them when they are wealthy, then it will likely never happen.

Many people seem to live off 105% of what they earn, be that £20K or £50K per annum. If some lifestyle choices are made and people arranged their finances such that they could live off 90% of what they made (very possible if you want to do it) then your chosen charities would benefit greatly, through planned and systematic giving, all from the average man in the street.

Not that it's here nor there, but we've been doing this in our house for a long time and it has been very fulfilling to sponsor children in poor parts of the world, help to fund orphanages etc. There's other ways you could get involved besides money of course (time, free professional help etc.) Still, this is a bit of a tangent, but I suppose my main point is that most people can make a real difference if they choose to, and the campaign to go after Prem footballers to give to nurses is a bit misguided IMO.

I'd agree mate. Too many people will come back with the idea that charity starts at home or that they shouldn't have to give money as it should be sorted higher up; in a way it's correct they shouldn't, but it's not a perfect World. Give a tenner and you've probably just saved lives of people who are the earth's misfortunate; it really is that simple.

Although Reo-Koker has his heart in the right place, he could have picked perhaps a more worthy course in asking his fellow Pros to cough up with a weeks wages.I say this having discussed the matter with my missus who has been a nurse for over 30 years.Where do you draw the line here ? There are care workers on minimum wage with little hope of progression for the most.As for the publication of who is in and who is not, then this is not really good practice. People should give because they wish to give and those who choose not to, should not be judged.'Feed the World Reo' and perhaps you and your fellow Pros may be seen in a better light off the field.

This is not a Reo-Coker charity. It's some mad doctor woman who's started it. She's just using Coker as her mouth piece as his mum's a nurse.

Has anybody heard of the mayday for nurses appeal, basicaly it asks people to donate a days wages (peanuts to premiership footballers) to a fund set up to help trainee nurses who get into financial difficulties in the first few years of their careers.

Nigel Reo-Coker has (uncharactaristicly) launched the appeal and asked all 556 Premiership players to donate, many havnt yet and not a single liverpool player so far!!!!

We should follow suit with the Reading squad whom every member of has donated a days pay.

I along with many thounsands of others (less well off folk) have allready signed up so whats wrong with these greedy footballers!!!!

I won't be either. Why the fuck should they?