You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa (Aston): Match thread

Who the fuck says we(myself and other fans) are willing to accept mediocrity? I've accepted that we ONLY HAVE A CHANCE at winning the Champions League this season. Period.

You can be negative all you want and bitch about fucking spilt milk but why waste the time or get angry over something that simply cannot be changed untill next season?

exactly and come next season the manager and the players will be under real pressure to deliver, up until now there has been a reality check that were not good enough to compete for the title and that just wont be the case next season

So lets enjoy the season and our underdog chance of winning number six in athens come may

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying to mates of mine that I'm more excited about the summer transfer window than I am about the Champions League because this coming year already has so much anticipation built up for me.

It's like when you were a kid and december was just around the corner and you wanted someone so bad and you've asked your parents over and over and you can't wait to see if it's waiting for you under the tree.

Who the fuck says we(myself and other fans) are willing to accept mediocrity? I've accepted that we ONLY HAVE A CHANCE at winning the Champions League this season. Period.

You can be negative all you want and bitch about fucking spilt milk but why waste the time or get angry over something that simply cannot be changed untill next season?

So you`r saying that performances like today can`t be improved until next season? sorry but I`m expecting a major improvement in the next match.

And wanting us to play winning attacking football and a strong finish to the League campaign is a positive thing surely? You all but writing off the final 8 games is the negative point of view.

Guest Jay W
I've been saying it in a lot of threads and I know I sound like a broken record.

Thats because it's always so obvious we need more from wide posistions and from midfield. Hopefully it'll be addressed in the summer, we have to understand though it's not easy.

So you`r saying that performances like today can`t be improved until next season? sorry but I`m expecting a major improvement in the next match.

And wanting us to play winning attacking football and a strong finish to the League campaign is a positive thing surely? You all but writing off the final 8 games is the negative point of view.

No you daft bastard... but I'm saying that those last eight games don't mean anything so why risk injury or wearing our key players down for nothing? Sure we ALL want the team to start finishing and playing better but as long as we are solid at the back and pressing forward there isn't much we can do but finish our chances.

That brings us to the rub of the hour... Our lack of a real finisher. Which can only be remedied in the summer transfer window.

Thats because it's always so obvious we need more from wide posistions and from midfield. Hopefully it'll be addressed in the summer, we have to understand though it's not easy.

Wide positions? Yes. Our center of the midfield? Not really. They are doing their job... shutting down possession for the other club.

We have the building blocks for a title run at the moment(our defence and possessive football). Our wide positions have been a serious issue for a few seasons now and we've finally started addressing that issue.

Guest Jay W
Wide positions? Yes. Our center of the midfield? Not really. They are doing their job... shutting down possession for the other club.

Alot more has to come from the middle of the park, wether that be a "hole" type of player who can unlock the defence or Gerrard in the middle as the runner, IMO there will more than likely be movement in the middle. Xabi going, switching formations to suit players or trusting xabi/Mascherano and stevie in the middle, either way we have to have more coming from the centre because there fuck all there when Gerrards not there. The partnership of Momo and Xabi is effective, but only in one direction for me and it's not forwards...

My analysis:

Bollocks

I honestly can't fathom how two managers can be so negative. One must have thought "these are shite and are here for the taking," but fuck all happened from both camps.

I never thought I'd say this but I really think we should be refunded for the cost of the match ticket. I did not pay £32 to see us play for a draw from the first whistle with no ambition to go for a win whatsoever.

Alot more has to come from the middle of the park, wether that be a "hole" type of player who can unlock the defence or Gerrard in the middle as the runner, IMO there will more than likely be movement in the middle. Xabi going, switching formations to suit players or trusting xabi/Mascherano and stevie in the middle, either way we have to have more coming from the centre because there fuck all there when Gerrards not there. The partnership of Momo and Xabi is effective, but only in one direction for me and it's not forwards...

The only alternative I can see... if Gerrard/Momo or Gerrard/Mascherano in the middle and Alonso shifting out to the Right flank.

Our best players in the midfield are all CENTRAL players. What can we do? We need four class players with the ability to play centrally because it's the most important position in the field for our tactics. We HAVE to control the central mid.

All this performance showed is that we NEED Alonso on the pitch. He is by far the best distributor of the ball in our whole club.

He needed his rest today and it's no fault that rafa played a defensive minded squad today because let's be honest... we can't do anything in the league but finish fourth or third.

I want #6, Rafa wants #6, and Rafa will do his best to make sure we get #6 even if that means finishing fourth instead of third. I'd rather finish fourth and have it than Third and miss out on it.

Thats not a good excuse.

Plus why does he need a rest when we last played 10 days ago.

Plus how come Gerrard never gets a rest?

Thats not a good excuse.

Plus why does he need a rest when we last played 10 days ago.

Plus how come Gerrard never gets a rest?

Well... Alonso is going to playing for Spain during our crunch of games. We can't rest him against Arsenal. We can't rest him against PSV, either leg.

Gerrard won't stand for being rested. His book he says that he goes absolutely batshit crazy when being rested for a match. Hell... Taking him off at the 80th minute shows clearly that Rafa wants these guys to be fresh and ready for PSV.

Wathing United tear Bolton a new one I said to a mate I fucking hate them but they play boss football, I can hold my hand up and say that truthfully because as a Liverpool supported ive been brought up to recognise good football when you see it.

Yesterday was not good football, far to often we break and have one player on the ball and one will make to the edge of the 18 yard box before we lose possession. If you look at United on saturday they have 4 or 5 players breaking there neck to get in the box and more often than not they not only get there they score. Folwer's header was our one real chance yesterday.

This summer is so vital, I know we say that every season and we have done since the last time we won the league. We need to make big signings who'll go straight in the team, fuck the cups next season we have to sustain a real threat and get out the traps straight away. You get 8 or 9 wins in the first 12 games and your away.

Houllier esque signings are nots what is needed I just hope Rafa and the new board realise this. If squad players leave like Zenden leave then replace them with a youngster we already have, as 3rd choice in position if we got down to the bear bones you give them a go, and as kids they get a lot of slack. there is no point spending money say on a midfielder when we have a massive numbers of them. We HAVE to spend money on first teamers, players who will appear week in week out.

As for a starting eleven next season god knows who we will get but the following players we have now could be in a championship eleven or sixteen:

Reina, Finnan, JC , Agger, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Garcia, Kuyt, Crouch , Garcia (probably missed somone off this list so dont hang me)

This summer is a summer off, tiredness wont be an excuse, lets hope we pull it off because if we dont despite the success in Istanbul and possible success in Athens it will all be for nothing. The League should be our absolute number one priority.

I agree that the match was boring, one of the most boring matches I've seen in a very long time. It reminded me of one of those "0-0 will get both teams through" - games in the WC in the 80' and 90'. I also agree that Liverpool was one of the teams to blame for the crap match. We couldn't pass and we couldn't cross. Pennant was our best player in my opinion, and that says alot when he got 10 minutes or whatever.

That said; how often are we playing away against a team with a more destructive tactics than many of the teams playing at Anfield? No wonder they don't win games and have 100 draws or so this season.

I just remembered something else; I watched the pre match press conference by Rafa and he got asked something like "When you talk to Carra, do you understand what he is saying?"...................

Are they still asking him that? Every time I read an interview with a new player, they ask them that question. Rafa must've got that question 50 times (at least), and the moron interviewing Rafa before the Villa away-match in 2007 ask him THAT question!! What the fudge, as NR would've said.

Walton... I disagree strongly about Crouch and I think, so far, that Mascherano has been boss in both appearances. He did what he was brought to do today well, with a few clever little possesion dips and doos with the ball, and he was MOTM for me against Sheffield.

I think he could easily be in a winning 16.

Im surprised to see some people saying Macherano had a good game i thought he was woeful, lots of under hit passes and passes to the opposition. The passes that did go to Liverpool players were often lobbed balls which were difficult to control and gave defenders time to close the player down.

I'm not gonna wade through the thread. Having seen every Liverpool game live on cable over here that ranks by far as the worst performance this season. Players were just going through the motions. Rafa has to take his share with the selection and his strange use of substitutes. The game was crying out for Pennant and Fowler way before he made the change. Can you imagine the Mancs sitting back and accepting a 0-0 ??

Guest Jay W
Im surprised to see some people saying Macherano had a good game i thought he was woeful.

I think you have to take into account his lack of mins not only in a red shirt, put playing full stop. I thought he did quite well considering, he got stuck in and read the game excellently at times. You can see the ability and potential he has.

I think its best I dont post on a match thread yet, I am still fuming and certain of my views on certain players may offend! (Although they are true IMO).

I'd like to hear them, rant and all. I think there needs to be some straight talking about the quality of the team, both collectively and as individuals, because I think we've been kidding ourselves for many, many years now about how good we are - or nearly are, that is. Everyone seems to think that it's the Liverpool Way not to criticise players. That's nonsense, in my opinion. The players (and manager) should be criticised, as long as it's fair and well-argued.

This lot have had plenty of time to show what they can do and that appears to be not much that's very impressive, as far as I can see. We play a very prosaic style of football that relies upon organisation and effort: great if you're facing Barcelona away as the underdog; utterly soul-destroying if you're facing one of the many poor and struggling teams in the league.

We can play great attacking football, but don't have the players or tactical approach to sustain it over the course of a single match, nevermind an entire season. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about what the summer holds: Rafa has shown genuine talent for the defensive, organisational side of the game, both in the transfer market and with his tactics. What we need now is for him to show an equal flair from an attacking perspective. However, after three years, I haven't seen enough to leave me without doubts. I really rate him and believe he can do it, but there needs to be a massive improvement in our attacking football next season.