You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israeli FA wants tie to stay in Israel

Section_31

THE Israeli FA is stepping up pressure on UEFA to keep Maccabi Haifa's Champions League third qualifying round second leg tie with Liverpool in their country.

The association has already decided to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport over UEFA's decision to switch two UEFA Cup qualifying ties from Israel to neutral ground next week, claiming the governing body is "bowing to pressure from big clubs."

And they are set to take similar action if the Liverpool game, as expected, is moved away after UEFA originally suggested Tel Aviv as a likely option.

Liverpool will be backed by the English FA in their opposition to playing in war-torn Israel and a UEFA spokesman yesterday said that the UEFA Cup tie switches were a "good indication" of what the decision will be on Monday.

But Israel FA chairman Itche Menahem said: "This (UEFA Cup) decision implies a bow before pressure imposed by Europe's big clubs, a surprising fact in light of UEFA's policy of equality and fair play."

Meanwhile, Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is hoping to seal the signature of Dirk Kuyt with a renewed bid this week.

But if Feyenoord's resolve over the £10milion asking price for the player can't be broken, Benitez is prepared to play the waiting game in his bid to get a fourth main striker.

He said: "We're continuing to work. Maybe it's too late for the Champions League qualification round, but there is one month left and that gives us the time to sign the player we need."

Are they taking the piss??? Lets just switch the final to Baghdad while we're at it!

Guest ISeeThroughYou

It's a painfully transparent attempt to effect some "normality" on the whole Middle-East bloodbath, and won't work.

Israel are fully aware of this. It won't be played there.

It's a painfully transparent attempt to effect some "normality" on the whole Middle-East bloodbath, and won't work.

Israel are fully aware of this. It won't be played there.

The pomposity and needlessly flamboyant language, coupled with unnecessary melodrama points toward Brendan. See the irony?

Guest ISeeThroughYou
The pomposity and needlessly flamboyant language, coupled with unnecessary melodrama points toward Brendan. See the irony?

Oh, I thought I was Momo. Oh well. Can I be both? Perhaps G Haase is Brendan?

Do you have nothing better to do than clownishly follow new posters around, neanderthal brow all furrowed as you try and work out if new posters are actually the same as some old ones?

Rhetorical question.

Oh, I thought I was Momo. Oh well. Can I be both? Perhaps G Haase is Brendan?

Do you have nothing better to do than clownishly follow new posters around, neanderthal brow all furrowed as you try and work out if new posters are actually the same as some old ones?

Rhetorical question.

Whoever you are, you are a cock. No need for a witty, well thought out reply to this post. Your use of pompous language means I wouldn't understand it.

Whoever you are, you are a cock. No need for a witty, well thought out reply to this post. Your use of pompous language means I wouldn't understand it.

He's an ubercunt, like Jessie Wallace's sweaty, hanging, over mayo'd kebab.

Guest ISeeThroughYou
Is it just me who has a dread feeling that UEFA are going to shaft us on this one, and make us play in Tel Aviv?

Or am I just over here by myself in paranoid corner?

There is no chance whatsoever of that happening.

Problems like this one could easily be avoided by just kicking Israel out of UEFA. The country isn't even in Europe for christ's sake...

True, but no-one else (or majority) in the Middle East region will play Israel. Cos FIFA want every country to be able to play in international competition, they get put into Europe. No point arguing about the merits of that now, as it has happened.

True, but no-one else (or majority) in the Middle East region will play Israel. Cos FIFA want every country to be able to play in international competition, they get put into Europe. No point arguing about the merits of that now, as it has happened.

Let them play in the Americas.

Then they would just have to make peace with them...

It's a winner!

Please engage the brain before you post again, it was not funny in any shape or form whatsoever, people are dying there everyday

I know your in major rant mode at the minute, it was a flippant remark and I apologise if I offended anyone.

I did actually make that point further on in the thraed, or did you not see that?