You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Shield

Section_31

How does it compare with the Wire?

I've never seen the wire so I'd be interested to hear recomendations. But my attention span being vitually zero these days, a programme has got to be pretty special to get me watching. The Sopranos & the Shield are the only shows that can keep me glued lately. The Sopranos went downhill after season 2 IMO though, whereas the Shield seems to be getting even better.

The wire is more of a slow burner not as hell bent, corrupt as the shield but still very good.

The Shield is filmed on 16mm and all hand held to give it that dirty grainy look. Some of the crimes they look into are just mad as fook, mixed in with corruption, drugs, prositution, gang warfare, shaggin, basically think of a crime or a vice and it's in there in it's lowest form.

The shield series 1 just finished on 4 or 5 but you should be able to download them using bit torrent from mininova.org

The wire is more of a slow burner not as hell bent, corrupt as the shield but still very good.

The Shield is filmed on 16mm and all hand held to give it that dirty grainy look. Some of the crimes they look into are just mad as fook, mixed in with corruption, drugs, prositution, gang warfare, shaggin, basically think of a crime or a vice and it's in there in it's lowest form.

The shield series 1 just finished on 4 or 5 but you should be able to download them using bit torrent from mininova.org

The first scene in season 2 with the 'flaming necklaces' is a real attention grabber! You don't see shit like that on the Bill!

Breaks my heart at how bad UK television is as a rule now, watching shows like this drives it home even more.

I'm struggling to think of anything decent to come out of the UK in recent years drama wise. We seem to be stuck with either the tried and tested soap, bullshit reality tv or, absolute shite footballer wife type tv.

Off the top of my head you cold go

The Shield

Prison Break

Lost

All have some kind of failings (bar the shield) but walk over on anything to come out of the UK

Is season 3 out on DVD? Mackey: What a TV creation.

I borrowed them off me mate, they're both American but i just unlocked my player with a code off the net.

Michael Chiklis' backstory is interesting, he was struggling to get any decent roles so his wife and him wrote a script especially for him about a dirty cop! He lost some weight, went the gym and shaved his head to present a different image especially for that role, and out of the blue he ended up reading for the Shield. He reckoned he created the anger in the audition by imagining how pissed-off he'd be if he got knocked back, class act!

I'm struggling to think of anything decent to come out of the UK in recent years drama wise. We seem to be stuck with either the tried and tested soap, bullshit reality tv or, absolute shite footballer wife type tv.

Off the top of my head you cold go

The Shield

Prison Break

Lost

All have some kind of failings (bar the shield) but walk over on anything to come out of the UK

Spot on, its a shame too because the interest is out there. All it would take is one producer with balls to put his faith in a decent up and coming writer rather than sticking with the old La Plante style shite (ooh woman cop in a mans world fuck you! Cagney and Lacey??? Hello!!!)

Once people start raving about one good show, interest in the rest of the shite will fall away and rival production companys will be forced to up the bar.

I hope thats the right take on things anyway, and that we're not just a nation of idiots.

I borrowed them off me mate, they're both American but i just unlocked my player with a code off the net.

Michael Chiklis' backstory is interesting, he was struggling to get any decent roles so his wife and him wrote a script especially for him about a dirty cop! He lost some weight, went the gym and shaved his head to present a different image especially for that role, and out of the blue he ended up reading for the Shield. He reckoned he created the anger in the audition by imagining how pissed-off he'd be if he got knocked back, class act!

I love the way from the very start they show you why you shouldn't love his character, when he kills a fellow cop, even though it is impossible not to.

I love the way from the very start they show you why you shouldn't love his character, when he kills a fellow cop, even though it is impossible not to.

Its mad that really, because he never quite goes that 'low' again! (so far anyway)

I think the writing for Mackie's character is spot on and reflects the programme on a whole of people caught up in a world which they can't control and how it drags them all down.

Asaveda in series 3 (think its series 3 maybe 4) goes right off the wall. Mad mad stuff he gets into (she is fit mind)

I think the writing for Mackie's character is spot on and reflects the programme on a whole of people caught up in a world which they can't control and how it drags them all down.

Asaveda in series 3 (think its series 3 maybe 4) goes right off the wall. Mad mad stuff he gets into (she is fit mind)

Holy shit, see what you mean about Aciveda getting into bad situations, watched the first four eps of season three last night, the bit where he got cornered by those two spics made me wrech!

Holy shit, see what you mean about Aciveda getting into bad situations, watched the first four eps of season three last night, the bit where he got cornered by those two spics made me wrech!

thats not the half of it!!!!

• 3 months later...
Hi Mr. M. A. Smith,

This message is to inform you that your order has been processed successfully and is being shipped to you via the United States Post Office.

Items Processed Today

Item: The Shield: Season 4 (REGION 1) (NTSC) [DVD] (2005) Michael Chiklis; Glenn Close...

Woooohoooo!!! Come to daddy!

As you were..

I have a sideline business importing DVD's from Canada into the UK.

Season 3 and 4 of the Shield is out over there and i think only upto Sheild season 2 is out in the UK.

the full season of Prison Break is out at the moment as well over there. Not the latest shit over here where they split a seaosn boxset into 2 and charge full whack for each half.

I get a shipment once a week from Canada and my prices are ok.

If anyone wants The Shield (or the Wire i've just bought Seaosn 1 to get into it but Season 3 has come out in Canada) PM me and i'll get brand new GENUINE region 1 verisons for anyone who wants them.

I have a sideline business importing DVD's from Canada into the UK.

Season 3 and 4 of the Shield is out over there and i think only upto Sheild season 2 is out in the UK.

the full season of Prison Break is out at the moment as well over there. Not the latest shit over here where they split a seaosn boxset into 2 and charge full whack for each half.

I get a shipment once a week from Canada and my prices are ok.

If anyone wants The Shield (or the Wire i've just bought Seaosn 1 to get into it but Season 3 has come out in Canada) PM me and i'll get brand new GENUINE region 1 verisons for anyone who wants them.

Hiya Mate,

how much do you charge?

Cheers

Dave.

Hiya Mate,

how much do you charge?

Cheers

Dave.

For the Shield Season 4 it would be around £34-£35 delivered to your door!

i normally palce an order on a Tuesday and get the stuff from Canada on a Thursday. i would then mail it out to you on a recorded or Special delivery on the Friday or Saturday.

And unlike alot of DVD imports there is no UK VAT or import taxes to pay.

Payment would be either cash or Paypal.

• 11 months later...