You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Back To Basics?

Good point , there was no cohesion or imagination at all in the second half we totaly lost our way and resorted to the ale house ball, no matter how you dress it up tonight was simply not good enough and our total inability to put the ball in the net has caught up with us and has bitten us on the arse, it's a pity because our defence and midfield is as good as anybodys but the strikeforce is truly awfull.

We had two big strikers and that was the game plan, I didn't mind it at first and things would have been different if we didn't miss sitters.

Another factor is that we had two wide players that contributed next to nothing. Kewell`s crossing was abysmal, and Garcia clearly lacks match fitness and form. Too many players make too many stupid mistakes. Carra missed to open goals, and that header in the second half, totally unmarked was just poor. Seeng that you just knew it was`nt going to be our day.

With that useless twat Traore, any surprise?

Yeah... And it was also Traore`s fault that Carra missed two open goals, and an easy header totally unmarked. In fact it was Traore`s fault that Crouch misses that easy chance today and the even easier one against Charlton. In fact Traore is to blame for the Bird flu as well, and that beer prices in Norway are extremely high. It`s even his fault that we hardly have any snow here in the middle of the winter!

Good it feels good when we know who to blame.

Yeah... And it was also Traore`s fault that Carra missed two open goals, and an easy header totally unmarked. In fact it was Traore`s fault that Crouch misses that easy chance today and the even easier one against Charlton. In fact Traore is to blame for the Bird flu as well, and that beer prices in Norway are extremely high. It`s even his fault that we hardly have any snow here in the middle of the winter!

OI! I warned you!

Not at all. Just saying that Traore and Warnock unsettled and weakened our back four, that's all. Finnan and Jamie have been our best two consisent performers for fuckin yonks now. Their presence probably unsettled them

Not at all. Just saying that Traore and Warnock unsettled and weakened our back four, that's all. Finnan and Jamie have been our best two consisent performers for fuckin yonks now

Off course losing two regular defenders on the eve of the game unsettles the defence, but it still doesnt mean Traore is to blame for Carra`s mistakes...

And how many times has Jamie got us out of shit? Our strikers/attackers are too blame for tonight, not Carra or Stevie F

Did i say otherwise?... Carra and Finnan will play bad games occasionally, sadly both had an off day today. The only thing i challenged was your assumption that Carra`s bad game was down to Traore. Traore is perfectly capable of making his own mistakes, so there is no need blaming other players mistakes on him.

Tonight’s game hinged on two incidents: Crouch’s miss; and Carragher’s mistake. Although my heart was in my mouth every time the ball was at Traroe’s feet, I feel it’s extremely harsh to give him too much criticism. Yes, I agree he’s not up to it, that’s not in question, but I don’t see why he should get so much abuse for today’s loss.

Crouch on the other hand deserves some flak. We all know his primary function is to be the link up man, bringing the midfield into the game, but in the situation we found ourselves in, his miss is totally unacceptable.

I’m seriously worried about the strike force now, and in the future. We need pace up front, but I don’t think Cisse is the answer. We need a speedy forward who can make intelligent runs to give Gerrard and Alonso a passing opportunity. When playing in the middle Cisse doesn’t do this, instead waiting for the midfielders to launch the ball forward so he can have a race with his marker to the ball.

Morrientes has had enough time to demonstrate whether he is going to cut it. He hasn’t, and wont, in my opinion.

As for Crouch, I was initially dead set against him. Then I changed my mind. Now I think my opinion is veering against him again.

As I don’t have access to an international scouting network, I don’t know what the answer is, but I’m not very optimistic that our troubles will be solved in the summer transfer window.

Hate the long ball and yes tonight we were quilty of it. If anyone noticed one player hit one and got a mouthful of Raffa, probably cause he had options left and right but went for the hoof. It does my head in.

One thing that really fucked me off tonight was our persistence with the long ball and aimless crosses that Benfica dealt with comfortably (even before they scored)

Whatever happened to keeping the ball on the ground and opening them up with quality passing and moving?

And how many times has Jamie got us out of shit?

Imo that doesn't come into it. I blame Carra for that goal. I do not blame him for the defeat, nor do I think he's shit.

We played two games without scoring a goal. Last year we scored 6 at this stage of the tournament.

Rocket science it ain't.