You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

Cheers for the heads up Omar. Looks like a good show.

Not gonna remember summer 09 as the one where I bagged loads of gash, but as the summer where I sat down every evening to watch The Wire. Cracking show.

Always gets the tag of "best ever" but it just is. Ask Charlie Brooker:

sZ2iGYwdEi8

Not gonna remember summer 09 as the one where I bagged loads of gash, but as the summer where I sat down every evening to watch The Wire. Cracking show.

Agreed, Robot. I wrote my MA dissertation during the summer of '09 -- a huge, neverending slog that consumed my entire life, EXCEPT for the fact that I watched The Wire at the same time. I honestly think I learned more about this world and did myself a life-altering service by watching the series. Should have saved my grad school money and just watched the show...

Always gets the tag of "best ever" but it just is. Ask Charlie Brooker:

sZ2iGYwdEi8

Charlie Brooker first got into The Wire by reading my posts about it on The GF about eight years ago (or whenever it was that it first aired on FX in this country). He subsequently appropriated my assertion that it is "The Greatest...blah, blah, blah".

I think we can all agree that the moral of this story is that I am ace.

ok, after that list of the top 50 was posted I decided to watch all of the sopranos after having only seen a couple of episodes.....I'm just starting series 4, it's a very watchable show, love the dialogue which makes up for nothing at all happening.

The Wire is easily the better show, by a big distance.

I'd put Sopranos, talking heads and the singing detective all above the wire too. I've only seen the first series of the wire but it left me a little cold. I'll watch it all soon as everyone series it kicks off mid way through series two. If a series takes 18 episodes to 'really get going' it doesn't beat the sopranos which got going from episode 1 and never ceased.

To me Sopranos is the best. It has everything.

And Buffy is better than the bleeding x files.

The Wire hooked me in the fourth episode, when Bunk and McNulty investigate an old crime scene and just say "fuck" at everything. I thought that was a genuis rip on CSI.

and Hush and the musical episode means I agree on Buffy. Although the first couple of series of X-Files were pretty damn good too.

ok, after that list of the top 50 was posted I decided to watch all of the sopranos after having only seen a couple of episodes.....I'm just starting series 4, it's a very watchable show, love the dialogue which makes up for nothing at all happening.

The Wire is easily the better show, by a big distance.

[YOUTUBE]zFON1IE13Lg[/YOUTUBE]

On this subject, sort of.

I am on the last series of homicide. Whilst the first few series (esp) the first were outstanding it has disappeared up it's own arse and should have finished after the 5th at the latest.

Yep. I was hooked after the first season back in the day, but it definitely did peter out. I've read that Simon was forced by NBC to make creative changes that just ruined to original brilliance.

The Adena Watson interrogation scene in the first season might be one of the finest television scenes ever.

Idris Elba starring in a new BBC cop show, from the looks of it the script was pitched as "Stringer Bell is a cop". Surely no bad thing.

[YOUTUBE]olSKmVsjFxg[/YOUTUBE]

He was on Johnny Ross last week (he came across as a bit of a dick I thought... but he's still a leg), looks alright that show.

• 2 months later...

Two episodes left to watch in the final series and have to say I'm gutted it's coming to an end. Have loved every fucking minute of it, and can't wait to see how things pan out for McNulty as his little bullshit trick is spirally way out control. Fucking ace, and thanks to those on the GF who pointed me in its direction.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for another series?

Does anyone know if there are any plans for another series?

There won't be. David Simon planned the 5 season arc from the start. There's an interesting book I'm reading called The Wire by Rafael Alvarez which covers all 5 seasons and contains the email David Simon sent to the HBO executives pitching the show, which is an interesting read.

David Simon did want to do another season, didn't he? In between 3 and 4, exploring the Latin American influence on the city? I think it was in the same Alvarez book (or mentioned on here) but said he'd never do it now but would have liked to have at the time.

David Simon did want to do another season, didn't he? In between 3 and 4, exploring the Latin American influence on the city? I think it was in the same Alvarez book (or mentioned on here) but said he'd never do it now but would have liked to have at the time.

Yeah but I think he said neither he nor Ed Burns had enough knowleged of the subject and that the research would be too much. In typical Simon style though he started to weave some Latin American characters in there - just in case IMO, such as Omar's fella and his mates, and the gang of gardeners Cutty was working with.

Section_31 has beaten me to it. As much as I love the show, I'm not sure another season would be a good idea. I thought it all wrapped up pretty perfectly. Simon seems to have moved on anyway, with Generation Kill and Treme, neither of which I've seen much of yet.

• 5 weeks later...

The Wire is simply immense. To watch a show that ecompasses so much truth and yet entertains so magnificently, it really is a masterpiece.

I haven't seen Generation Kill or The Corner but both are on my list.

That quote about Thatcher and Reagen is just brilliant.

Anyone know what that thing on Channel 5 set in New Orleans is called?

The Wire is simply immense. To watch a show that ecompasses so much truth and yet entertains so magnificently, it really is a masterpiece.

I haven't seen Generation Kill or The Corner but both are on my list.

That quote about Thatcher and Reagen is just brilliant.

Anyone know what that thing on Channel 5 set in New Orleans is called?

Kevin does.

If you're talking about Treme.

Which I'm guessing you are.