You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

About 8 episodes in and it's pretty good, I would definitely recommend it. It's clearly a grower, though. Some really good music, which brightens up every episode, I love the intro song. Characters from around the way, so far: Prezbo, Waylan, cool Lester smooth, Bunk and, much to my pleasure, Slim - although he seems to have gotten a lot bigger, does that mean I can't call him that anymore? - Charles.

Homocide the book is fucking boss. 10/10, best book I have read, hard going in parts at the beginning due to the complexity of it, you are introduced to so many characters and police politics. When it all comes together though its well worth it. I read nearly 200 pages in a day.

About 100 pages in now from one sitting and I wouldn't have it written any other way. His eye for detail is amazing. The babe is a legend, proper police as they would say. Not up to date on the character names just yet, I know who they all are and what they are about but not their names which is quite annoying. The fella that leads the team has one of the most macabre sense of humours you could ever hope to find.

About 100 pages in now from one sitting and I wouldn't have it written any other way. His eye for detail is amazing. The babe is a legend, proper police as they would say. Not up to date on the character names just yet, I know who they all are and what they are about but not their names which is quite annoying. The fella that leads the team has one of the most macabre sense of humours you could ever hope to find.

Not criticising the way he penned it, just more of a warning to anyone who might get disillusioned with it early on. The detail sinks in, and is needed to fully understand the actions and beliefs of some of the characters.

Some proper laugh out moments in that book, very dry sense of humour needed though.

Landsman is quality in it

Not criticising the way he penned it, just more of a warning to anyone who might get disillusioned with it early on. The detail sinks in, and is needed to fully understand the actions and beliefs of some of the characters.

Some proper laugh out moments in that book, very dry sense of humour needed though.

Landsman is quality in it

I've tried a couple of times to get into it but have never got past 30 or so pages..will have to give it another go.

David Simon is known for rewarding the reader and viewer if they stick with it. Personally I have no problem with how he starts as I realise it is as integral to the story as the middle or the end.

Quite simply, if you don't like David Simon, you are a massive cunt and I hope you choke on a dick. No other way to dress it up

Homicide: Life on the Killing Streets is a work of art, I read it in five or six days, just couldn't put it down. There is a lot of stuff that was worked into the Wire from the book also, even quotes put in verbatim. Reading the passages about the Latonya Wallace case was so gripping, and the affect it had on Pellegrini quite traumatic. Great book.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Very late to the party but I finished watching The Wire boxset at the weekend and it really was amazing. I enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing people getting excited at a lot of the same moments that I did, I'm glad I stayed pretty much spoiler free before watching it, I don't think it'd of had the same impact on first watch otherwise.

A bit of a tie between series 3 and 4 as to my favourite season, seeing the kids story go through 4 and 5 was so heart breaking, it effected me a lot more than I thought it would. As a story The Wire was pretty standard but the characters and acting elevated it to a totally different level, I'm gutted that I've not got any more episodes to come but at least I can start on The Sopranos now.

It's definitely up there, I've not seen The Sopranos, Mad Men or Deadwood yet but it'll be difficult to beat the quality of The Wire.

Couldn't get in to Mad Men, Deadwood and the Sopranos are quality but the Wire is just that cut above. Beautifully written and the depth of even "lesser" characters is amazing. Just ask anyone who their favourite character is and you'll get about 20 different answers probably at least.

Bubbles

Omar

Rawles

Bunk

Marlo

Bunny

Bodie

Snoop

Chris

Stringer

Michael

McNulty

Daniels

Freamon

Prez

Avon

Cutty

Slim Charles

Prop Jo

The Greek

Maury

Clay Davis

and on and on, I've heard them all given as possible favourites, I couldn't even begin to pick mine because they are all fucking superb characters.

It has quotes for all time that only mean anything to people who've watched the whole show.

"Come at the king yo, you best not miss."

"We like them bald headed bitches on the chess board, the game's rigged yo."

"We had to let him play, this is America."

"We used to do shit in this country, build shit."

"You got the briefcase, I got the shotgun."

"What? Money ain't got no owners, only spenders."

“Don’t matter who did what to who at this point, fact is we went to war and now there ain’t no going back. I mean, shit, it’s what war is you know, once you’re innit, your innit.. If it’s a lie, then we fight on that lie, but we got to fight”

and on and on.

Pure fucking genius.

Edited by WrongIslander

Isn't it still £50 on Amazon? Seriously tempted. It's been nearly a year since I finished it and I still have to fight the urge to say "What up, yo?" whenever I pick up the phone.

I just have to try and remember that I have episodes of boardwalk piling up on Sky+ and Treme has just started (fucking loved the first episode).

Need to give Deadwood and Sopranos a proper go at some point.