You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Referees

Truered

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

This is,again,the pointless nature of that VAR nonsense. It has contributed to the modern football's anaesthetic nature. The people most excited by this numbness are the numbskulls in studios commentating and sitting on panels in those studios.

I wouldn't blame VAR for this. The rules need to be understood and correctly applied by the ref on the pitch.  "Peter" in the above clip and the MOTD pundits were all able to call it correctly; the cunt on the pitch failed to do his job.

Watching Match of the Day back, Crystal Palace were awarded a goal in exactly the same circumstances. Ward was offside when the ball was played in. It then ricocheted off a Fulham defender into his path. The defender was deemed to have played the ball deliberately and the goal stood.

Edit: Just watched it again and he wasn't off when the ball was played in. Bollocks.

3 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Watching Match of the Day back, Crystal Palace were awarded a goal in exactly the same circumstances. Ward was offside when the ball was played in. It then ricocheted off a Fulham defender into his path. The defender was deemed to have played the ball deliberately and the goal stood.

And therein lies the rub , absolutely no consistency from the shower of shite in the middle. I guarantee next season will be no better . Fuckin show ponies.

What I dislike above all else, whether it is real or not, is this idea that the officials are keeping us on a very short leash to teach us a lesson. I know that human emotion and unconscious (or maybe even conscious) bias can never really be eliminated from the officials' decision making, but they should be arbiters of the events of each match afresh and in accordance with the laws of the game, and not be dictated by previous events and a very loose interpretation of those laws. Allowing the latter means they can 'shape' a match with their handling of it to suit a pre-conceived narrative while also trying to not make it as obvious as possible. The 'death by a thousand cuts' idea.

15 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What specifically did the ref get so wrong today? Apart from the Mings one? I don't feel he changed the game myself.

Personally I thought it was the single worst refereeing performance I have ever seen. I was ready to leave after 30 mins because I don't want to be watching shit like that. He allowed them to time waste, fake injury, gave them free kicks for falling to the floor,  yet they'd come in hard on our players and that was fair game. That's before we talk about the big decisions. As has already been posted, in the Taylor & Tierney school of refereeing with death by a 1000 cuts. Then when we got to the pub later, we find out who the ref actually was. Payback time. 

As I posted on here when they appointed Taylor after the klopp incident, it was a giant piss take from Webb, so was that yesterday. 

I have never been one for believing in the refs cheating, I've mostly assumed they're just shit and maybe sometimes you get beat by them because an unconscious leaning not to let the crowd or occasion get to them and it ends up going the other way. But there's been a notable change in fairness since Webb has become the boss, and I assume he's managing it mostly by selecting refs he knows will fuck us over. 

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

If it continues into next season someones at the club is probably going to have to start asking questions.

I think we have to now. No point waiting till the fuck next season up.  

PL refs are deliberately incompetent,which is necessary for VAR to be 'needed' yet VAR is looked at by more of the incompetent idiots rather than an independent panel. It's also naive to think or believe that these 'top' refs in the PL are there on merit. Like everything else they have played the politics game and greased a few poles to get to the top level. When your refs are not given World Cup appointments in favour of colleagues from the likes of Namibia or Outer Mongolia then you know how bad it has become.

The PL exists within a bubble and match officials are parts of that world.

20 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

PL refs are deliberately incompetent,which is necessary for VAR to be 'needed' yet VAR is looked at by more of the incompetent idiots rather than an independent panel. It's also naive to think or believe that these 'top' refs in the PL are there on merit. Like everything else they have played the politics game and greased a few poles to get to the top level. When your refs are not given World Cup appointments in favour of colleagues from the likes of Namibia or Outer Mongolia then you know how bad it has become.

The PL exists within a bubble and match officials are parts of that world.

The people in front of the VAR screens are the same useless fuckers in the middle . For me there should be somebody who has at least played the game at a pro level . One of them in the studio and that is a goal  (excluding Agbonlahor from this).

18 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Personally I thought it was the single worst refereeing performance I have ever seen. I was ready to leave after 30 mins because I don't want to be watching shit like that. He allowed them to time waste, fake injury, gave them free kicks for falling to the floor,  yet they'd come in hard on our players and that was fair game. That's before we talk about the big decisions. As has already been posted, in the Taylor & Tierney school of refereeing with death by a 1000 cuts. Then when we got to the pub later, we find out who the ref actually was. Payback time. 

As I posted on here when they appointed Taylor after the klopp incident, it was a giant piss take from Webb, so was that yesterday. 

I have never been one for believing in the refs cheating, I've mostly assumed they're just shit and maybe sometimes you get beat by them because an unconscious leaning not to let the crowd or occasion get to them and it ends up going the other way. But there's been a notable change in fairness since Webb has become the boss, and I assume he's managing it mostly by selecting refs he knows will fuck us over. 

I think we have to now. No point waiting till the fuck next season up.  

Yup, this was the same match I was at. I would be sorely disappointed if there’s not some serious head scratching going on right now as to how to address this blatant bias against us from certain referees. The performances over the last few weekends from the usual suspects and now Brooks have been the most brazen Fuck You imaginable, both in terms of the constant soft, laughable free kicks given as well as some major decisions.

• Upvote 1

The refs in the Premier league are fucking awful. 

We've all got access to watch other football, I personally watch alot of serie a on BT, and we all watch European refs in the European competitions. 

You just don't get this level of incompetence from European refs, you just don't. 

I don't know whether it's an unconscious bias, but the English refs, or at least this new batch of refs, are quite simply. Fucking shite at their job

19 hours ago, Trumo said:

What I dislike above all else, whether it is real or not, is this idea that the officials are keeping us on a very short leash to teach us a lesson. I know that human emotion and unconscious (or maybe even conscious) bias can never really be eliminated from the officials' decision making, but they should be arbiters of the events of each match afresh and in accordance with the laws of the game, and not be dictated by previous events and a very loose interpretation of those laws. Allowing the latter means they can 'shape' a match with their handling of it to suit a pre-conceived narrative while also trying to not make it as obvious as possible. The 'death by a thousand cuts' idea.

No doubt this has happened after the incident in the Spurs match. The match against Brentford was a complete joke, they got a free kick every time we won the ball. Ref was heavily influencing the game.

Earlier today, I told my non-Liverpool supporting brother that Brooks was the 4th official who Klopp shouted at in the Spurs game and he was astounded that he was given a Liverpool game to referee, so soon afterwards. 

It's mad

Liverpool have asked Professional Game Match Officials Limited for an explanation on two decisions during Saturday's 1-1 draw with Aston Villa.

The Reds have queried why Villa defender Tyrone Mings was not sent off for a challenge on Cody Gakpo, and why the Dutch forward had a goal disallowed for offside.

Substitute Roberto Firmino scored an 89th-minute equaliser for the Reds.

Defeat would have ended Liverpool's hopes of reaching the Champions League.

Here's Dermot Gallagher's take on Cody's disallowed goal. Bear in mind that the "genuine attempt" by the defender aspect of the offside rule has not actually changed since before 2017/18. In that season's home game against Spurs, Kane was already in an offside position when a through-ball was played towards him. Degsy was adjudged to have played the ball after sliding in and failing to intercept. The dribble-chinned gonk ran through and ensured he was upended by Karius to win a penalty (which he missed):

"A block is a block. A genuine attempt to play the ball is to take the ball under control, clear it for a corner or to clear it up field."

Therefore that incident should have been offside, which would make the call in Konsa's favour on Saturday OK. Gallagher does however go on to add that Mings should have seen red for his clumsy challenge on Cody.

31 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Here's Dermot Gallagher's take on Cody's disallowed goal. Bear in mind that the "genuine attempt" by the defender aspect of the offside rule has not actually changed since before 2017/18. In that season's home game against Spurs, Kane was already in an offside position when a through-ball was played towards him. Degsy was adjudged to have played the ball after sliding in and failing to intercept. The dribble-chinned gonk ran through and ensured he was upended by Karius to win a penalty (which he missed):

"A block is a block. A genuine attempt to play the ball is to take the ball under control, clear it for a corner or to clear it up field."

Therefore that incident should have been offside, which would make the call in Konsa's favour on Saturday OK. Gallagher does however go on to add that Mings should have seen red for his clumsy challenge on Cody.

That explanation from him is absolute bollox . A block is an attempt to play the ball. Cunt has probably never kicked a ball in his life , like that kid in Kes.

10 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

That explanation from him is absolute bollox . A block is an attempt to play the ball. Cunt has probably never kicked a ball in his life , like that kid in Kes.

He was actually a half decent ball player to be fair. 

He does be on Irish radio a bit, because he's from Dublin. Funnily enough, even has an Irish accent when he's on the radio here to. 

But his definition of a player blocking a ball is not actually controlling the ball, is something I'd expect from someone that has never even watched a game of football. By the way of thinking, when a defender clears it, he's not actually playing to do that, he's just aimlessly putting his leg out, and hoping, somehow, that the ball doesn't go towards his own goal. 

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

He was actually a half decent ball player to be fair. 

He does be on Irish radio a bit, because he's from Dublin. Funnily enough, even has an Irish accent when he's on the radio here to. 

But his definition of a player blocking a ball is not actually controlling the ball, is something I'd expect from someone that has never even watched a game of football. By the way of thinking, when a defender clears it, he's not actually playing to do that, he's just aimlessly putting his leg out, and hoping, somehow, that the ball doesn't go towards his own goal. 

Ties himself up in knots trying to back up the ref. The two videos of Haaland and Jota and his explanation tells it all. Didn’t know he was Irish btw.

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Ties himself up in knots trying to back up the ref. The two videos of Haaland and Jota and his explanation tells it all. Didn’t know he was Irish btw.

I guess his name was a clue to his nationality!!

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

I guess his name was a clue to his nationality!!