You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mo, The Vote - time to go?

Mo the poll - stay or go?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Mo this summer, assuming we take it out of the hands of the new manager

• Offer a new deal and keep him till the end of his career
    • Let him see out his contract
    • Sell him for any type of market value fee
    • Sell him but only for a massive fee

Although this reads like he’s staying, I think the wording is interesting. 

We expect him to start and have been given no indication he wants to leave.

Sounds to me like if he is to leave, the club are making everybody aware it’s his choice. 

IMG_1387.png

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Although this reads like he’s staying, I think the wording is interesting. 

We expect him to start and have been given no indication he wants to leave.

Sounds to me like if he is to leave, the club are making everybody aware it’s his choice. 

IMG_1387.png

Sounds like a public negotiation to me. They knew standing strong last summer made the saudi's bid more and more. So they're not going to just say we want him to go. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Antynwa said:

As for if he should go, I don't fear it because this always happens and we always find another gem.

This, alot of this.

The tiresome defense of Salah saying "Look at the 15 golas he has scored" is just that, tired.

Somebody is going to make up a good bit of that difference if they play. Period. It might not be a 1 for 1 return but the idea that our RW will score nothing if it is not Mo is silly. 

17 minutes ago, Binomial said:

Fuck sakes. Fuck off David.

That'll soon change once they see the results of this poll. We're not RAWK you know, we carry a lot of influence behind the scenes.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Mudface said:

That'll soon change once they see the results of this poll. We're not RAWK you know, we carry a lot of influence behind the scenes.

I don't doubt it.

Why do you think I ditched that shithole for TLW? 

• Upvote 2

He's not going to leave, why would he? He's in the final year of his contract, the manager he just fell out with is going In 4 weeks time, Saudi will wait 1 year and still pay him the same wages.

If people think we can just push him out the door now and force him to play in a league with attendances of less than 1000 people sometimes, they are mad.

Salah won't go to Saudi yet anyway, they'll literally take him whenever he wants. He holds all the cards and lots of clubs in Europe will take him on a free and pay him huge wages. He'll still want champions league football for another 2 or 3 years (he's only 31 years old)

• Upvote 2

I keep on flip flopping on this. I initially thought sell at a market value. But, I’ve just looked at his goal figures over the past 2-3 seasons (this current one included). And, I’ve looked at that graph that Code posted too. 

Then I’ve took into account the stop/start season he’s had with international games and the travel and time away from our training regime and team that that involves. And the injury that has hindered his season too. 

Despite all these factors, he’s still on for a 25+ goal season for us. Not to mention the assists. And that’s all while not quite being at the top of his game. 

His statistical history shows a player who pretty much guarantees goals. And, while Code’s graph shows decent figures for Nunez, he represents a cautionary tale when it comes to Salah. It’s all good selling a player who is on a bit of a downward trajectory, performance wise (are there temporary causes for this though?) but does their big money replacement (because, if sold, he’d need replacing with a new signing) offer a guaranteed replacement of those goals? Nunez hasn’t offered the expected goal return and has been abysmal at times. Who says that wouldn’t happen with any hypothetical Salah replacement? Or that they’d need a couple of seasons to settle? 

I'm like that fella in the pub on the Fast Show. I just don’t know and keep on changing my mind. 

At the moment I’m back to keep him, but maybe try him in the number 10 role or centrally. 

• Haha 1

And when we say "Saudi can get him whenever they want" we seem to be forgetting that there are different clubs in that league as far as I know. You go after a player with one year left because next year you may still face competition for his signature.

Unless, obviously "Saudi" buy for all clubs and then just distribute the players through a lottery system.

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

And when we say "Saudi can get him whenever they want" we seem to be forgetting that there are different clubs in that league as far as I know. You go after a player with one year left because next year you may still face competition for his signature.

Unless, obviously "Saudi" buy for all clubs and then just distribute the players through a lottery system.

They own the 4 biggest ones already don't they and PIF decide which club takes the player? The only real competition in my opinion would be if Mo lets his contract run out so he becomes attractive beyond Saudi. This is why it's important for Saudi, if they want him now, they probably need to force it through now. Messi has shown there's a pathway to other retirement leagues. And of course there's probably a few major clubs in Europe who could become interested in Salah if there was no fee to pay. So sure, for Mo the Saudi league is probably available for years. But for Saudi, this might be the time they are in the best position to turn his head. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They own the 4 biggest ones already don't they and PIF decide which club takes the player? The only real competition in my opinion would be if Mo lets his contract run out so he becomes attractive beyond Saudi. This is why it's important for Saudi, if they want him now, they probably need to force it through now. Messi has shown there's a pathway to other retirement leagues. And of course there's probably a few major clubs in Europe who could become interested in Salah if there was no fee to pay. So sure, for Mo the Saudi league is probably available for years. But for Saudi, this might be the time they are in the best position to turn his head. 

I don't know, but I would expect there would be some competition between the clubs and different patrons and sponsors, otherwise what's the point? And even if they are only one collective buyer for that market, as you say, it's probably not that easy for them globally, so it makes sense to get him as soon as he is available.

I don't know, but I would expect there would be some competition between the clubs

Now they own the majority  stake in the top 4 clubs. This coming season I believe they take full control of those.

The point is to grow the league as a whole, "competition" is secondary. The top two sides (both PIF) are 30 points clear of the field.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't know, but I would expect there would be some competition between the clubs and different patrons and sponsors, otherwise what's the point? And even if they are only one collective buyer for that market, as you say, it's probably not that easy for them globally, so it makes sense to get him as soon as he is available.

As @TheHowieLama says, I think it's about getting big names in the league and that's all PIF care about to legitimise their country in the western world. I think their view is they will grow the leagues popularity globally via big names on social media, while this normalises Saudi as a state. They allow the players to post their own stuff from games, so people consume individual moments rather than games and the competition. Many individual players have more social followers than any club in the world - for instance Messi has 502m followers on Instagram alone, Ronaldo 626m - where as Barca and Madrid have "only" 391m and 415m across all social platforms. 

In my opinion the Saudis would be more interested in having a premier league or la liga game in Saudi than anyone knowing who wins their league. But they only make that happen by making Saudi the centre of world sport. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Sounds like a public negotiation to me. They knew standing strong last summer made the saudi's bid more and more. So they're not going to just say we want him to go. 

As Stirling Archer would say…… phrasing. 

39 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't know, but I would expect there would be some competition between the clubs

Now they own the majority  stake in the top 4 clubs. This coming season I believe they take full control of those.

The point is to grow the league as a whole, "competition" is secondary. The top two sides (both PIF) are 30 points clear of the field.

I seem to recall Gerrard saying his club should invest more, and someone sacked Igor after a string of bad results (how he managed to land such a (presumably) lucrative the job is a mystery to me) so there seems to be some competition and fans and different actors trying to push their own clubs ahead. I would expect there are competing princes and groups behind some clubs.

But as I said, I don't really follow Saudi football.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Gerrard saying his club

They are one of the clubs on the outside looking in. There is no competition for top players, they all go to one of the PIF four - Gerrards club is @ .500 and 40 points off the pace.

OK, so there is absolutely no chance anybody from the Saudi league outside the top four would even try to get somebody like Salah, which would prompt the top four owner into action, rather than waiting for him to fall into their lap, safe in the knowledge there is no possibility of competition whatsoever?

I'd offer him a new 2 year deal, if he doesn't accept, then sell him rather than letting him walk for free next summer... I think the spat has been blown up because of who he is and because Jurgen is leaving, this shit must happen all the time.. Remember Sadio kicking off when he was subbed (think it was against Burnley) when Mo never passed to him for a tap in....