You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James McConnell

Thought he deserved his own thread as the other young lads all had one.

His performance in extra time on Sunday was exceptional. I'd go as far as to say I thought for that 30 minutes he was the best player on the pitch after a slow-ish start when he first came on.

There was a stat floating around about how he touched the ball twice as many times as both Enzo and Caicedo in that time and the things that stood out to me where that he was always available for the ball and that he used it really well. He just brought a calmness that was way beyond what you'd expect of someone that age.

Time will tell on his level but there's definitely potential there.

• Upvote 6

McConnell and Bajcetic will be competing for time. Clark will be involved regardless, unless he elects to take the loan route next season - I think he's pretty close to Elliott in talent level. 

No idea on Danns. Looks excellent talent, but might need more time to fully develop. Could easily see him fit a niche in our attack though. Going to be a proper centre forward.

7 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Is he the one that cynically stopped Chelsea when they were about to break and was rightly booked?

I like him.

Yep. A blue card for sure, nice one James. 

We can't get too carried away, I remember thinking our centre midfield duo when we beat Everton in the Cup with the youth team would go onto the big stage but last I heard they were playing in Scottish league. 

Is McConnell ahead of Morton in developing to the first team? We will see but let's enjoy the moment for all these lads 

1 hour ago, aws said:

I think Morton is a fair way ahead in development as he’s nearly had  a season of proper football and seems to be getting good reviews.  

He'll be nearly 22 before he can even kick a ball for us in a competitive match. Over the hill.

3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

He'll be nearly 22 before he can even kick a ball for us in a competitive match. Over the hill.

Already played nine games for the first team before going on loan, but sure.