You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where's our famous atmosphere....

an tha

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

In my experience as an ex STH, I always thought the daytrippers brought the most enthusiasm and atmosphere. Maybe that's different now, I don't know. 

If you want a really good, loud atmosphere, you need a load of young lads with a drink in them. Doesn't matter an awful lot where they're from but most of them are going to be local for various reasons.

Enthusiasm doesn't mean an awful lot if you're not singing & shouting.

Banging my usual drum here but VAR has played its part too, goals aren't worth getting particularly excited about because you need to wait two minutes to find out if it counts. A lot of the tension & release has gone so people are less worked up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jennings said:

A lot of the folk in the section of the main stand where I sit, don't even raise their scarves and sing YNWA.

They just sort of stand and look. I've never heard them belt a song out.

I think it looks a bit phoney anywhere but the Kop to be honest. Even then it now looks stage managed for the telly.

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Far too many people in anny rd upper today strolling up steps 5 mins into 2nd half with armfuls of fucking hotdogs and coke..

Certainly not the only reason I stopped going, but definitely one of them. It’s not the fucking cinema. 

11 hours ago, Code said:

Do people honestly think that if camera phones and social media existed in the 70’s and 80’s that people would not use them at the game?

If so, you are fuckin deluded, they did not use them cause they did not exist. 

You don’t see many of these at the games these days.

IMG_0589.jpeg

There's an old fella a couple of seats from me has one of them! And a pair of massive over ear headphones! 

8 hours ago, Arniepie said:

It's spot on.

Without getting into a wools v scousers debate upto,I'd say the mid 90s,the ground was a majority of localish working class fans and out of towers who knew what it was like to support the team 

Its now filled with people from all over the globe who treat it as a day out and probably spend about 5 grand in liverworld each visit.

Making the ground bigger and filling it with that 2nd group certainly hasn't helped. 

And these tourist fans are only interested in singing songs that's on Jamie Webster's Spotify channel. To @an tha point about the food. I don't really notice it (hot dogs & chips etc) from the regular seats, just those hospo ones at the front. The big one is the chips in the little fucking tubs. And going for a piss about 5 times a game. 

• Like 1

England fans have usually been a reactionary bunch for as long as I can remember, this is the 1 obvious area where we fall behind compared to the French, Italians, Germans, Greeks or whoever. They want to be entertained, if they feel they're not witnessing the excitement which they expected when buying a ticket, guess what? They're going to be sat with their arms folded with the expression of a smacked arse.

Throw other elements into the mix such as Arab ownership ruining football, throw in VAR.....kills any excitement there was left, killed any competitiveness the league had.....people are generally falling out of love with the game. 

16 hours ago, johnsusername said:

People have paid their money, they can do what they want. 

The millionaires on the pitch should be able to perform whether joey from west derby is there or not.

Joey's a cunt anyway, used to drink in the Sefton.