You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Union Saint-Gilloise 0 (Oct 5 2023)

tlw content

matchreportheader.jpg

Well this will be short and sweet. Sometimes these reports are difficult because there’s so much that needs to be covered that I don’t really know where to start. The Spurs game last weekend for example. Then there’s this, which is equally difficult for entirely different reasons. 

Hardly anything happened, it was dull as shit but we won the game so there’s not even any reason to be pissed off. There’s not too much to be excited about either, it’s just basically a big whole of nothing really. And we need to get used to that because this is the Europa League experience. I think many of us had forgotten that as it’s been so long. 

When we think back on previous campaigns, we remember the Alaves final or the craziness of the Dortmund game. I couldn’t actually tell you who we played in the group stages of any Europa campaign we’ve ever had. Shit, I barely remember who we played in the Champions League groups last season. I think Ajax was one, but I wouldn’t put any money on it.

The point is, while we often think these games are going to be goalfests against teams we’ve never heard of, the reality is different. Look at our last game against Lask. Look at how Villa and Brighton have struggled to beat teams they should be dealing with easily. The Europa League is fucking shit unless you win it. Hopefully we will win it, but get used to uninspiring games like this. We might have one game where we smash the opposition but generally it will be like this.

The mad thing is that Klopp is actually picking strong teams and we’re still making hard work of it. I suppose there are two choices. And understrength team playing in fifth gear and being really up for it while maybe struggling to get over the line, or a strong team playing in second gear and struggling to get over the line.

Starting Mo Salah shocked me. I didn’t think we’d see Mo starting any of these group games. I know he only played a half, but it’s still surprising to me. Alisson too, although his selection was kind of forced upon Klopp due to Kelleher’s injury and Adrian not being registered.

Trent needs the minutes, Konate is currently behind Matip in the pecking order and Nunez had to play because of the injury to Gakpo. So I can see why all of those played, but Mo being involved and Doak not even getting on the field is strange to me. It’s not like it even worked. We weren’t good even with all of them on.

It might have been different had we taken some of the early chances we had. Maybe then we’d have got the big scoreline we wanted. We didn’t take the chances though and my boy Darwin missed an absolute fucking sitter. Incredible miss that, and a massive shame as it was a lovely move. He didn’t sort his feet out though and screwed his shot wide. Awful. Much better he does it in this one though than when it actually matters.

It was just a low key performance all around, except for Gravenberch who started brilliantly, disappeared for a bit, then came back into it again. I like what he brings to the table. He’s not like a Szoboszlai who is at the heart of everything, he’s more of a moments player, but whenever he had the ball he looked like he would do something.

He’s only played a few games but he’s had two assists and a goal already. It’s promising. I like how he’s able to receive the ball on the turn so he can immediately glide away from people. He brings something different to our other midfielders and is a bit of a wild card. The goal he scored was a simple one but it’s not that often you see our midfield players in those positions. That’s what I mean about him bringing something different.

He almost scored again in the second half when he cut in from the left and curled one towards the top corner, forcing the keeper into a good save. On a distinctly forgettable night he’s the one thing that stood out.

Not that everyone else played badly, it’s just that we probably have more intensity in training sessions than we had in this game. Konate and Quansah did well. It’s not like they had loads to do, but if they hadn’t done what they needed to then this game could have gone wrong in a hurry as the longer it went the more Union grew in confidence and at 1-0 the game was far from over.

Eventually we wrapped it up late on when Jota ran through and finished well, but even that goal was pretty unimpressive. Not the finish, that was good, but the way the ball ended up with Jota was scruffy as fuck. Both of our goals came from their set-pieces though, which is a big strength of ours.

The substitutions strongly hinted at what we’ll see on Sunday. Mo and Darwin were subbed at half time and we know they’ll be starting. Endo also went off, replaced by Macca. That’s interesting to me. I think Endo will start on Sunday and Macca will get a chance in the more advanced role that we signed him to play in. 

I’m looking forward to seeing him in that role as I can see Darwin benefitting from his skill around the box in picking out little passes. Trent is almost certain coming back in too, and once again we saw in this game that he spent more time dropping inside to centre back rather than joining the midfield. 

I quite like that as it gets him on the ball with a bit more space to pick out the runs of the forwards. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if either Darwin or Mo scored on Sunday from a Trent ball over the top.

I’m confident about that because I don’t think we can look at these Europa League games as any kind of barometer of form, either individually or collectively. They’re almost like training sessions. We’ll do better against higher calibre opposition, and we’ve got a couple of scores to settle with Brighton. I just hope the officials don’t get in the way.

Credit to their fans, they made the most of the trip they’d been so looking forward to and I thought their team gave a good account of themselves. It might be tricky over there, but hopefully we’ll be well qualified by then and it won’t matter what happens.

Team: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold (Gomez), Konate, Quansah, Tsimikas; Endo (Mac Allister), Elliott, Gravenberch (Szoboszlai); Salah (Jones), Nunez (Diaz), Jota:  

View full article

• Upvote 11

• dave u pinned this topic
55 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I saw last night as a bit of an audition for Gravenberch. If he comes into that left midfield position while Curtis is suspended he could nail it down. 

Initially I thought that, but the decision to sub Endo at half time has given me pause for thought. Why not give Endo 90 if he's not starting at the weekend? Klopp also said the plan for Gravenberch was to play 90 but he got tired so they subbed him.

34 minutes ago, dave u said:

Initially I thought that, but the decision to sub Endo at half time has given me pause for thought. Why not give Endo 90 if he's not starting at the weekend? Klopp also said the plan for Gravenberch was to play 90 but he got tired so they subbed him.

Worries me a bit, that. From what I’ve been seeing of Endo I think he’s struggling with the pace, especially when we’re counter pressing. Brighton could swarm all over him, force mistakes, take the ball off him. I dunno, that’s just how I see it going.

I’d rather play Mac Allister in the 6. It’s Curtis that needs replacing for three games. I don’t think Endo is the answer. 

• Upvote 2

Watching the game it reminded me of a pre-season run out. Players looking like they were building up their fitness without overstretching themselves.

Gravenberch played well, given the opposition, and looked like he was enjoying himself, his after game interview showed he’s happy to be here and enjoying life.

The win was what mattered and we got that, so, job done, move on, get Brighton beaten then prepare for the shite on the 21st. Just hope we get all the players back fit from their national duties.

I think you’re right Dave - Endo will come in and Macca will move up. However, I think we’re badly going to miss Curtis’ mobility and tirelessness. I wonder if we’re actually going to play a little more conservatively though. Rather than press them as they want us to, I wonder if we might play on the break to Darwin’s strengths and their weaknesses, as various sides have shown against them recently. 

16 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I saw last night as a bit of an audition for Gravenberch. If he comes into that left midfield position while Curtis is suspended he could nail it down. 

I think it’ll take a lot to shift Curtis from this team. He fills the gaps better than anyone else we’ve got currently and Klopp loves players like that. They’re what makes his risk and reward football work. 

The good thing is Klopp has fully embraced five subs and that is perfect for a squad with the age and profile of player ours has. It also helps to maintain the intensity. That said, I reckon a fully fit Curtis will be one of Klopp’s first picks moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Worries me a bit, that. From what I’ve been seeing of Endo I think he’s struggling with the pace, especially when we’re counter pressing. Brighton could swarm all over him, force mistakes, take the ball off him. I dunno, that’s just how I see it going.

I’d rather play Mac Allister in the 6. It’s Curtis that needs replacing for three games. I don’t think Endo is the answer. 

I think Endo will be fine.  Too many people are  finding faults in everything he does while ignoring the same faults in others.  MacAllister is rubbish as a 6 - he does lose the ball far too much, doesn't know the role enough to hold the right positions and isn't blessed with recovery pace.  He needs to play further forward to maximise his strengths and minimise his deficiencies.  Looking forward to it.

• dave u unpinned this topic