You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (A) - Sat 12th Mar 2022 (12:30pm)

Trumo

A Saturday lunchtime kick off down on the south coast means a very early start for the fans travelling down. And it’s against a team that has caused us to stutter in recent years and made us appear disjointed. They can do that to a lot of sides in the division so it isn’t specific to us. That said, there’s a balance to redress, so what do we need?

Nous. Organisation. Grit. Attitude. Yer ma. Just do it. Order. Know-how. Energy. Skill.

I don’t ask for much.

Last season’s corresponding fixture was a hugely frustrating one. Having seen a penalty awarded against us for a foul by Neco, Maupay dragged his effort wide. Mo at the other end thought he’d put the Reds ahead after Bobby’s inch perfect through ball played him in, only for VAR to intervene and disallow the goal for a non-existent offside. At the time, it seemed as though we were having goals disallowed every week. Into the second half, and Diogo finally got us ahead. Sadio thought he’s doubled the advantage with a header from a free kick but again VAR deemed it to be offside. That was a more obvious call. VAR wasn’t done yet though. Right at the end of stoppage time, Welbeck hit the deck following the faintest of touch from Robbo as he looked to clear the ball. As soon as the ref was told to view it on the monitor, you knew he would succumb to VAR pressure and point to the spot. Gross converted the spot kick and that was that.

41 years earlier, things were more straightforward. More physical stuff was let go by the officials, and it didn’t look like officials were queuing up to screw us over. We went to the Goldstone Ground and spanked the Seagulls. Souey and Kenny set us on our way and David Johnno added a third before a consolation for Brighton from Ray Clarke. Kenny added a 4th and the points were heading back to Anfield. The reigning league champions would go on to retain the trophy that season. Here’s the match report.

GuardianMatchReport-1979-11-10-brighton.

The top film of mid-November 1979 was a rom-com starring Dudley Moore and directed by Blake Edwards (he of the Pink Panther series with Peter Sellers as the hapless Inspector Clouseau). Edwards could do comedy, and obviously Moore was known for his double act alongside Peter Cook. I’ve never seen the film 10, and I imagine there are many who, while they have seen it, don’t really remember it much. Having read up a little about it for this match thread piece, it seemed to have retained a reputation for being very funny without being brilliant.

Like most people though, I know of it because of the stupendous Bo Derek and her body frolicking on a beach, which drew attention away from her weird corn row hairdo. What’s that? You want a photo? But of course!

281562__02784.1342528228.1280.1280.jpg?c

What we need in this game is a return of our ruthless edge. We’ve allowed Brighton to have too much of a say of proceedings over the last 3 or 4 games. This season, they’ve tended to look organised and move the ball well, without being able to make it count. Take that away from them, go there with the right mentality, focus and application, and show that it won’t matter what they try and do, we have the answers and can pose questions that they simply do not have answers for. 3 points and onwards.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Brighton are a well drilled side, capable of playing some really nice football. They lack a cutting edge in front of goal, and struggle more than most when they are faced with a low block.

We're struggling with our fluidity in the opposition half, not helped by how awful Anfield has looked the last couple of months. Perhaps the Am-ex grass will give us a fairer reflectoin of our players' qualities than a windy Anfield.

I'd go with:

--------------Allison-------------

Trent-Matip--Vvd--Kostas

---------------Fabinho-------------

Hendo------‐-------------Thiago

Salah-------Firmino----Mane

We're struggling to put passing sequences together in the opposition half. Firmino is the remedy for that. He might lose the ball now and again, but his touch and interplay is soooo much better than having both Mane or Jota there. Hopefully he can glue the attack a bit better together.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

A Saturday lunchtime kick off down on the south coast means a very early start for the fans travelling down. And it’s against a team that has caused us to stutter in recent years and made us appear disjointed. They can do that to a lot of sides in the division so it isn’t specific to us. That said, there’s a balance to redress, so what do we need?

Nous. Organisation. Grit. Attitude. Yer ma. Just do it. Order. Know-how. Energy. Skill.

I don’t ask for much.

Last season’s corresponding fixture was a hugely frustrating one. Having seen a penalty awarded against us for a foul by Neco, Maupay dragged his effort wide. Mo at the other end thought he’d put the Reds ahead after Bobby’s inch perfect through ball played him in, only for VAR to intervene and disallow the goal for a non-existent offside. At the time, it seemed as though we were having goals disallowed every week. Into the second half, and Diogo finally got us ahead. Sadio thought he’s doubled the advantage with a header from a free kick but again VAR deemed it to be offside. That was a more obvious call. VAR wasn’t done yet though. Right at the end of stoppage time, Welbeck hit the deck following the faintest of touch from Robbo as he looked to clear the ball. As soon as the ref was told to view it on the monitor, you knew he would succumb to VAR pressure and point to the spot. Gross converted the spot kick and that was that.

41 years earlier, things were more straightforward. More physical stuff was let go by the officials, and it didn’t look like officials were queuing up to screw us over. We went to the Goldstone Ground and spanked the Seagulls. Souey and Kenny set us on our way and David Johnno added a third before a consolation for Brighton from Ray Clarke. Kenny added a 4th and the points were heading back to Anfield. The reigning league champions would go on to retain the trophy that season. Here’s the match report.

GuardianMatchReport-1979-11-10-brighton.

The top film of mid-November 1979 was a rom-com starring Dudley Moore and directed by Blake Edwards (he of the Pink Panther series with Peter Sellers as the hapless Inspector Clouseau). Edwards could do comedy, and obviously Moore was known for his double act alongside Peter Cook. I’ve never seen the film 10, and I imagine there are many who, while they have seen it, don’t really remember it much. Having read up a little about it for this match thread piece, it seemed to have retained a reputation for being very funny without being brilliant.

Like most people though, I know of it because of the stupendous Bo Derek and her body frolicking on a beach, which drew attention away from her weird corn row hairdo. What’s that? You want a photo? But of course!

281562__02784.1342528228.1280.1280.jpg?c

What we need in this game is a return of our ruthless edge. We’ve allowed Brighton to have too much of a say of proceedings over the last 3 or 4 games. This season, they’ve tended to look organised and move the ball well, without being able to make it count. Take that away from them, go there with the right mentality, focus and application, and show that it won’t matter what they try and do, we have the answers and can pose questions that they simply do not have answers for. 3 points and onwards.

Enough about the football. What's that about Bo Derek?

1 hour ago, lebron said:

Brighton are a well drilled side, capable of playing some really nice football. They lack a cutting edge in front of goal, and struggle more than most when they are faced with a low block.

We're struggling with our fluidity in the opposition half, not helped by how awful Anfield has looked the last couple of months. Perhaps the Am-ex grass will give us a fairer reflectoin of our players' qualities than a windy Anfield.

I'd go with:

--------------Allison-------------

Trent-Matip--Vvd--Kostas

---------------Fabinho-------------

Hendo------‐-------------Thiago

Salah-------Firmino----Mane

We're struggling to put passing sequences together in the opposition half. Firmino is the remedy for that. He might lose the ball now and again, but his touch and interplay is soooo much better than having both Mane or Jota there. Hopefully he can glue the attack a bit better together.

Nonsense.  Anyway looking forward to this.  Real test, close game, and reconvening with TSOP ledges.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm hoping last night was a one off . We seemed undecided as to whether we defending a lead and putting them to bed. The result was we we'rent very good in all areas of he pitch. The more worrying explanation is that fatigue was a factor and given the fixture list that bodes badly. The Arse game in particular looks a real test. Hoping more than expecting a comfortable win against Brighton to get us back on track.   

Brighton have not been in great form recently, losing 4 on the bounce in the league and falling down the table as a result - They now find themselves in 13th after their good first half of the season.

I thought they were excellent in the reverse fixture at Anfield, with Trossard's movement causing us a few problems.

I'd expect to see a few changes to the lineup and I'd not be surprised to see the midfield trio change completely for this.

Tsimikas in for Robbo also makes sense to me, though Trent will need to at least start the game before being replaced in the second half to give him a little breather, if possible.

I'd be looking at something along the lines of:

Alisson;

Trent, Konate, Virgil, Tsimikas;

Elliott, Henderson, Keita;

Salah, Jota, Diaz.

Subs: Kelleher, Gomez, Milner, Robbo, Fabinho, Thiago, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Firmino.

We do have 4 days between the Brighton and Arsenal fixtures, so I may be going a little over with the number of changes. I'm sure Jurgen and his staff won't be looking further ahead than the Brighton fixture, unlike myself.

In last night's dream, we lost this 4-3 or possibly 4-2. I don't actually know the final score as I switched off with a few minutes to go. We started with two oggies. The first was VVD and he caused Matip to concede a second. They were seriously not happy with each other. Verger was having an absolute shocker. The second half saw two pelanties awarded and scored by Brighton. Although I saw neither incident that led to each penno, I KNOW they were a disgrace and should never have been given. Klopp was like "Fuck this, it's all a load of old shite." Lallana was giving it large to the Liverpool fans. I remember something about Mo and a transfer, but that bit is all a bit hazy. 

Oh and it was at Anfield. 

3 minutes ago, rb14 said:

In last night's dream, we lost this 4-3 or possibly 4-2. I don't actually know the final score as I switched off with a few minutes to go. We started with two oggies. The first was VVD and he caused Matip to concede a second. They were seriously not happy with each other. Verger was having an absolute shocker. The second half saw two pelanties awarded and scored by Brighton. Although I saw neither incident that led to each penno, I KNOW they were a disgrace and should never have been given. Klopp was like "Fuck this, it's all a load of old shite." Lallana was giving it large to the Liverpool fans. I remember something about Mo and a transfer, but that bit is all a bit hazy. 

Oh and it was at Anfield. 

I think Jimmy Case might have got Brighton's 4th.

On 09/03/2022 at 12:54, Dynamite said:

Brighton have not been in great form recently, losing 4 on the bounce in the league and falling down the table as a result - They now find themselves in 13th after their good first half of the season.

I thought they were excellent in the reverse fixture at Anfield, with Trossard's movement causing us a few problems.

I'd expect to see a few changes to the lineup and I'd not be surprised to see the midfield trio change completely for this.

Tsimikas in for Robbo also makes sense to me, though Trent will need to at least start the game before being replaced in the second half to give him a little breather, if possible.

I'd be looking at something along the lines of:

Alisson;

Trent, Konate, Virgil, Tsimikas;

Elliott, Henderson, Keita;

Salah, Jota, Diaz.

Subs: Kelleher, Gomez, Milner, Robbo, Fabinho, Thiago, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Firmino.

We do have 4 days between the Brighton and Arsenal fixtures, so I may be going a little over with the number of changes. I'm sure Jurgen and his staff won't be looking further ahead than the Brighton fixture, unlike myself.

They've been playing like shit, but will doubtless raise their game against us, the big match beauts that they are.

Wouldn't mind seeing that lineup except with Fabinho in for Keita.

15 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

They've been playing like shit, but will doubtless raise their game against us, the big match beauts that they are.

Wouldn't mind seeing that lineup except with Fabinho in for Keita.

Fabinho is the midfielder I'd least like to be rotated, however, he will need a rest at some stage and if Henderson is playing, I prefer him in the 6 rather than the 8.

Klopp likes to use Hendo on the right of the 3 in midfield when playing as an 8 so that he can push wide to allow Mo and Trent to tuck in when we have the ball - This has its pros and cons, but I'm not a fan of it.

Whenever Harvey plays, he tends to be used on the right of the midfield 3, with a right-footer playing over the left side, which is normally where we'd see Thiago, Jones and/or Keita.

If we do start with Fabinho, which I'm certainly not against, then I'd go Keita, Fabinho, Henderson from left to right.

Basically, it's Fabinho or Harvey in the middle of the park for me, and that decision will then influence which role Hendo plays.

Brighton's most consistent player this season has been the lad Cucurella down the left, so there's certainly an argument that having Hendo to the right of the midfield 3 will help mitigate Cucurella's threat down the left flank, as opposed to having the more attacking threat of Elliott on the right of the 3.

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm thinking about the Arsenal fixture a lot more than Klopp and his staff will likely be doing - Fabinho is an absolute must for the game against Arsenal.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Dynamite said:

Fabinho is the midfielder I'd least like to be rotated, however, he will need a rest at some stage and if Henderson is playing, I prefer him in the 6 rather than the 8.

Klopp likes to use Hendo on the right of the 3 in midfield when playing as an 8 so that he can push wide to allow Mo and Trent to tuck in when we have the ball - This has its pros and cons, but I'm not a fan of it.

Whenever Harvey plays, he tends to be used on the right of the midfield 3, with a right-footer playing over the left side, which is normally where we'd see Thiago, Jones and/or Keita.

If we do start with Fabinho, which I'm certainly not against, then I'd go Keita, Fabinho, Henderson from left to right.

Basically, it's Fabinho or Harvey in the middle of the park for me, and that decision will then influence which role Hendo plays.

Brighton's most consistent player this season has been the lad Cucurella down the left, so there's certainly an argument that having Hendo to the right of the midfield 3 will help mitigate Cucurella's threat down the left flank, as opposed to having the more attacking threat of Elliott on the right of the 3.

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm thinking about the Arsenal fixture a lot more than Klopp and his staff will likely be doing - Fabinho is an absolute must for the game against Arsenal.

Its when you see that role where Hendo covers Mo and Trent that you realise why Klopp likes playing Henderson. Expecting Mo to defend when Trent pushes up just doesnt work as well without Hendo.

• Like 1