You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2021

I'm up for a bit of international competition footy this summer, so I'll be watching and supporting England for as long as they don't irate me, so it's a knife-edge, though likely mitigated by ale. 

Firstly, that's a shit set of goalkeepers.  Not a good start. 

Secondly, Walker and Trent are the only true world class defenders in the squad, to my mind. 

Thirdly, midfield is quite good. 

Fourthly, on paper, strong to rotate 9 duty between Kane and DCL.  Lots of options either side of them.  Sterling didn't deserve to be picked. 

The key thing will be Southgate himself.  Organising a defence is one thing, but organising a fluid attacking unit is quite another, and from the England games I've seen in the past year there is very little fluency and that is likely to be the biggest problem.  

Best XI

Henderson

Walker

Stones

Maguire

Shaw

Phillips

Henderson

Sancho

Bellingham

Foden

Calvert-Lewin (just feel Kane isn't fit enough to start games) 

Over and above that, I think Portugal are my favourites. 

Dias, Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes, Jota, Felix, Ronaldo are the box-office, but the supporting cast are also very high quality and exciting. 

• Downvote 1

England's keepers and defenders are largely utter shit and, if Henderson out, they don't have a top class defensive midfielder either. 

A squad full of good number tens and King Harry of the Slobbers. 

Managed by someone who looks like he should be an assistant supervisor at a garden centre. 

Tournament looks really open though. Eight teams between about 5/1 and 12/1.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some of the young talent that have been picked:

Jude Bellingham - age 17 - England

Kacper Koslowski - age 17 - Poland

Jamal Musiala - age 18 - Germany

Pedro - age 18 - Spain

Adam Hlozek - age 18 - Hungary

Arsen Zacharyan - age 18 - Russia

Ryan Gravenberch - age 19 - Netherlands

Fuck me that goalie/central defence will be living on a wing and a prayer .  Christ 3 centre halfs. And if a half fit slabhead isn't bad enough , Coady ? Seriously ?

One injury away from disaster at the back .

Also If the massively overrated Foden is the talisman up front , then God help them. 

4 minutes ago, elvis said:

Fuck me that goalie/central defence will be living on a wing and a prayer .  Christ 3 centre halfs. And if a half fit slabhead isn't bad enough , Coady ? Seriously ?

One injury away from disaster at the back .

Also If the massively overrated Foden is the talisman up front , then God help them. 

Indeed.

"Oh Flower of Scotland...."