You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mark Drakeford

Gnasher

Exclusive interveiw with the Morning Star today. Page 10.. He might get kicked put for that, against ze rules. 

They don't think a lot of Starmer, not if that headlines anything to go by. Although I doubt he will be too bothered as not very many people read it, only the far left and Luke Akehurst.

I dont read it although I might pop up the local newsagents to buy a copy later. Drakefords another one who needs to start pulling his finger out.

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Nobody sticks to them anyway. While controversial it's hardly the worst thing anybody can advocate.

I agree. Apparently you can do up to 26mph without being fined (sounds a bit odd) and for the first year police have said they'll go easy on enforcement. It's causing a lot of controversy down here though, I spent hour or so with Drakefords second in command Julie Morgan last Friday afternoon (her office is up the road from me and it was to do with a friend's music charity) and she was receiving an awful lot of criticism over it and it hadn't come in then (Sunday just gone I believe) Not sure she was expecting this sort of backlash to be honest. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/sep/15/wales-is-bringing-in-a-20mph-speed-limit-why-and-what-will-happen

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

In urban areas where the default speed limit was 30, it's now 20.  Tories and right-wing press are lying about a "blanket speed limit" to make it sound like a bad thing.

Yeah that explains it better.

It's proving controversial but things should cool down once people get used to the change.

22 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

It's more tedious having to do 50 on the M4.

You know what I love - one of my favouritest things in the whole wide world - is when you're in a jam on the motorway, edging forward, stopping and starting at an average speed barely faster than an amble, and you see a sign saying that there's a temporary limit of 50.  That brightens my day, every single time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You know what I love - one of my favouritest things in the whole wide world - is when you're in a jam on the motorway, edging forward, stopping and starting at an average speed barely faster than an amble, and you see a sign saying that there's a temporary limit of 50.  That brightens my day, every single time.

At least in the case of this part of the M4 you can look out of the window and see the beauty of...

*checks notes*

Newport.

• Upvote 1

There's nowt wrong with a 20mph limit in built up areas.

I've said for years that automatic speed limiters should be fitted to all vehicles with the limit changing your max speed as you pass sensors on the road.

If you want to go fast, do a track day, or go to Germany and get on the autobahn.

Ideally we all need to get the fuck out of cars anyway.

• Upvote 2

Best one was when the Welsh Government said statistical evidence says it'll save lives a tory councillor responded by saying it won't because it'll be evened out by a decrease in Organ donations through road traffic collisions. He said the Welsh Organ foundation were already stretched. 

Welsh tories are batshit crazy but in fairness it changed my opinion on the subject 

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I've said for years that automatic speed limiters should be fitted to all vehicles with the limit changing your max speed as you pass sensors on the road.

If nothing else it would be funny watching cars implode as they automatically decelerate from 70 to 50