You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, that whole ‘goalscoring’ and ‘positioning’ malarkey is so passé. 

That's how high level football is these days, lad. You have to do far more as a forward that just be a decent poacher. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Clubs in France generally need to sell players to balance books. Unless a PSG level owner comes in and buys another French club, it will continue being this way.

But yeah, Lille's success will likely be short lived as their sporting director and owner just left and they were key. The sporting director was the one that built the Monaco sides of a few years back.

Can we sign him?

On 13/05/2021 at 11:07, Jockey said:

Jota is 23, Konate is 20, Elliot, Jones are 20 and under. Midfielders we are linked with are all circa 22, same with the forwards. How are we doing next to fuck all exactly? 

Sorry to pick you out - you are far from the only one, and far from the worst - but come on! For example - Jota, Elliot and Raphina will be all 24 and under next season. Konate, Kabak and Trent all 21 and under. Same with the middle and that would be this summer. 

Neither konate or raphina play for us though. Kabak we have no contract beyond this season. That's 3 of the 6 players you name in that post. I'm not too worried about the age thing - I think some of that fixes itself organically if we can fill the gaps in the summer we need to (although it's questionable if we'll do that, but our issue will then be a squad with gaps not old age), but saying we're solving a problem with 3 players who aren't actually Liverpool players seems to be stretching the faith in our recruitment a little. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Neither konate or raphina play for us though. Kabak we have no contract beyond this season. That's 3 of the 6 players you name in that post. I'm not too worried about the age thing - I think some of that fixes itself organically if we can fill the gaps in the summer we need to (although it's questionable if we'll do that, but our issue will then be a squad with gaps not old age), but saying we're solving a problem with 3 players who aren't actually Liverpool players seems to be stretching the faith in our recruitment a little. 

Haha true. I think my point was that those who we do sign will be that age range. Konate seems nailed on - but I am sure that who we sign will be a lot younger. As you say it isn't an issue. Far from 1991 when we signed Jimmy Carter.

27 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Haha true. I think my point was that those who we do sign will be that age range. Konate seems nailed on - but I am sure that who we sign will be a lot younger. As you say it isn't an issue. Far from 1991 when we signed Jimmy Carter.

Maybe konate is nailed on. But so was Werner at a point last year till he wasn't. I'm genuinely worried we won't do much to bolster the team (without dragging up all the other times this has been discussed, but centre back needs sorting, we need a better Origi and for me only fabinho picks himself in midfield, I think for various reasons there's question marks over everyone else). If we do strengthen the right positions, I feel there will be signing focused at the age group you say - I don't expect another thiago, although obviously Suarez and coutinho have both been linked. So if we bring in 3 or 4 players in the 20-25 age group, we've nothing to worry about. 

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Saw a headline thatJurgen is already dampening down any hopes of an increase to spending even if we make the CL.

"Are we going to Disney land this summer daddy?"

"Sorry son, money's tight. Maybe Southport Pontin's for a few days, self catering."

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

It's the amount of players on two years left that's an issue.  It's sell or contract time unless we want to show how fucking dumb we are again, as we've done with wignaldum. 

I don't think the Wijnaldum thing is dumb, it appears to me it's sensible adults not reaching an agreement and agreeing to go separate ways. We could have taken 40m for him 2 years ago but then not had the use of the player for those 2 years. We could offer him mega money and watch him decline rapidly in the next 2 years. Arsenal celebrated Aubuayang signing a new contract, released little teasing videos and everything, now they would take your arm off for anyone to take him for free. 

It's a cold business when players get to a certain age but I suspect we will see loads more free transfers in the next few years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

I don't think the Wijnaldum thing is dumb, it appears to me it's sensible adults not reaching an agreement and agreeing to go separate ways. We could have taken 40m for him 2 years ago but then not had the use of the player for those 2 years. We could offer him mega money and watch him decline rapidly in the next 2 years. Arsenal celebrated Aubuayang signing a new contract, released little teasing videos and everything, now they would take your arm off for anyone to take him for free. 

It's a cold business when players get to a certain age but I suspect we will see loads more free transfers in the next few years.

Now we're in the position of having to find at least 40m to replace our most realible midfielder whose walking on a free.  It's not ideal at all for a club who'll no doubt cry poverty as per usual. 

That's one player this summer.  We've quite a few sitting on two year contracts and can't afford for this to happen time and rime again. 

12 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Now we're in the position of having to find at least 40m to replace our most realible midfielder whose walking on a free.  It's not ideal at all for a club who'll no doubt cry poverty as per usual. 

That's one player this summer.  We've quite a few sitting on two year contracts and can't afford for this to happen time and rime again. 

We paid 30m for him, got 5 great years and now we need to do the same again. It's not a disaster by any means, ideally we would keep him for 2 more years and review it then, understandably he doesn't fancy that idea. As I said it's grown ups acting like grown ups.

As you said we have a few in this position now and we will again make a grown up decisions on a couple of them, my guess is Manè and Bobby will leave for free in a couple of years.

38 minutes ago, No2 said:

Me neither. I dont think Wijnaldum has done anything spectacular since his fine 2 goals against Barcelona. Every game he plays now he slows our play to walking pace.

Id have been happier if the club were getting a transfer fee for him rather than letting him leave for free.

I dont think it's cold business either. He's been offered a contract that he refuses to sign. If he wanted to stay he could sign the contract. The money on offer isnt less than he's on now, it's just not as much as he thinks he's worth.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think we fucked up letting Ryan Kent go,  he’d of been a cracking option from the bench.

Nah, it’s taken 100 odd appearance since leaving us for him to get to a level where he’d be remotely close to being an option from the bench for us and that’s highly debatable. If he stays at us he doesn’t get to the level he’s at now and he certainly doesn’t challenge or push the first team players in his position.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Saw a headline thatJurgen is already dampening down any hopes of an increase to spending even if we make the CL.

If we get Champions League then we don't need to spend.

If we don't get the Champions League then we won't have money to spend.

It's the FSG Way.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

This was discussed a few pages back. 

He’s never really going to say anything else is he? 

Klopp has never been that type of manager, he’s not going to attempt to inflate prices by saying “Yeah, we have billions to spend” and it would be incredibly de-motivational to players who really need to do a job for us in the next week. 

We forget, a few weeks he was saying the Redball investment had offset the COVID19 losses...

If the above on Redball is true and if we qualify for the CL, it might all be alright.

Who knows. Let’s just see.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Literally what he’s said every transfer window since joining. Barring very particular circumstances he’s not the type of manager to spend the really big money anyway. He’d rather a £30m player he can make a £70m player then just buy the £70m player.