You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerard Houllier

Red74

1 hour ago, suzy said:

That’s a brilliant story, so many lovely stories coming out now.

Even saw Moyes earlier saying when Gerard became manager he invited him (of course Everton manager then) to dinner and they went out with their wives.

Aye, seems like he was a genuinely decent fella.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

I think it was more of a consultancy role rather than hands-on. But being someone who has worked at both federation and club level - in both technical directing and coaching roles - meant that he could provide some very useful advice on how to set up and manage the structure, knowing what all the sides need from the other to work well.

He was their Head of Global football. Literally in charge of the strategy for ALL their clubs at ALL levels. Part of the recruitment team for their head coaches.

2 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Nice little tribute by the Fiver (especially the bit from Gregg Bakowski at the end).

Amazing that he was only 54,my own age now,when he had that emergency heart surgery. Maybe his relative youth at the time allowed him to eventually pull through. So sad those problems dogged him in his remaining years though but at least he stayed in football enjoying his passion until the end.

8 hours ago, Stickman said:

He was unlucky not winning the league in 01-02 as it was only a fantastic run by Arsenal 18 wins from the last 21 games that stopped us. In fact it was a  horrific run over Christmas/New Year when we went 5 games without a win that ultimately came back to bite us

Yep, we were top at Christmas too despite losing to them but Arsenal were unbelievable during the last 3 months of that season. Nothing really we could have done to stop them.

Took a couple of days off and went away camping, so I had intermittent signal... refreshed the news on our way home and couldn’t believe what I read. I watched the title win doco on BBC not long ago, and you could clearly tell that he loved the club. So sad.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 21/03/2023 at 17:15, House of Dirk said:

Just passed the anniversary of this:

Great game.  Was on the Kop for this. Gerard was well and truly loved that night.  

• Upvote 1

I still think Houllier is underrated by our fans in general. In the same way Shanks turned us into winners and Bob Paisley took that mantle and made us the same in Europe,Ged took the reins when professionalism was lacking in comparison to the rest of the world. From Parochial to utmost Professionalism was Ged's epitaph and with plenty of trophies thrown in. He wasn't liked in some quarters because he was French and his manner sometimes appeared arrogant,but he was exactly what was needed and is a worthy part of our history and modern success. Sleep well Monsieur.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I still think Houllier is underrated by our fans in general. In the same way Shanks turned us into winners and Bob Paisley took that mantle and made us the same in Europe,Ged took the reins when professionalism was lacking in comparison to the rest of the world. From Parochial to utmost Professionalism was Ged's epitaph and with plenty of trophies thrown in. He wasn't liked in some quarters because he was French and his manner sometimes appeared arrogant,but he was exactly what was needed and is a worthy part of our history and modern success. Sleep well Monsieur.

Sadly houllier was great till he wasn't. He was never the same after his heart issues and the team did not respond to him the same way after either. 2001 was an absolutely amazing time, it nearly killed me with all the booze and travelling. The fa cup final was a thing of complete beauty, heist of the century just 1 year in. The Dortmund final, I was shot to bits with the stress of it all. Great times and that was all down to houllier. 

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Sadly houllier was great till he wasn't. He was never the same after his heart issues and the team did not respond to him the same way after either. 2001 was an absolutely amazing time, it nearly killed me with all the booze and travelling. The fa cup final was a think of complete beauty, heist of the century just 1 year in. The Dortmund final, I was shot to bits with the stress of it all. Great times and that was all down to houllier. 

The 2001 cup final was among the highlights of my match going career. 

• Upvote 3

One of the best seasons to be match going red in 2001, no doubt. Cup semis, rearranged league games shoe horned in, the derby win... the whole thing was a thing of beauty, especially after the near misses and disappointment of the Evans era 90's.  Houllier was never the same after the illness, something which didn't prevail until that bad run in the autumn of 02-03, wasn't it no league win in about 3 months or something?  Genuinely thought we'd win the league in 02 after that last minute win vs Chelsea.

• Upvote 2

On 27/03/2023 at 16:52, VladimirIlyich said:

It’s a sign of time being a great healer the regard Ged is held in now compared to the not insignificant voices on here saying he was on the take from the club via his agent towards the end of his reign. 

3 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

We were all gutted to see God leave but the fee received compared to what he produced after shows it was the right time. 

Don't ever talk to me again Colin and fuck your gourmet beef 

• 8 months later...

He was not the most sought after manager when he came to us but I still strongly believe that without him we would not have had the level of stability we needed at the time. The 90s drought would have definitely continued well into this century if not for him.

Gerard and Gerrard brought the club back into the map. Legends.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...