You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

I dont know if this should bother me as much as it does, however, it has really bothered me. I was reading the Ref Watch bit on the Sky Sports website, as its always amusing. I come across this pearl today.

Incident: The VAR advised Stuart Attwell to upgrade his initial yellow card to a red for Mason Holgate's horror tackle on Kaoru Mitoma.

Dermot says: "The only positive thing I can say about this is that VAR Michael Oliver was brilliant because he looked at it immediately, said to the referee very quickly that it was a really dangerous tackle and he needed to go to the screen to look at it. We all know it's a red card. VAR dealt with it very quickly, so it was done and dusted."

Have the standards been lowered so much, that a referee, having the use of multiple angles and views and seeing Mason Holgate's challenge, should be described as Brilliant. If that level of competency is now described as brilliant, its no wonder we see the level of refereeing we do.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, John102 said:

I dont know if this should bother me as much as it does, however, it has really bothered me. I was reading the Ref Watch bit on the Sky Sports website, as its always amusing. I come across this pearl today.

Incident: The VAR advised Stuart Attwell to upgrade his initial yellow card to a red for Mason Holgate's horror tackle on Kaoru Mitoma.

Dermot says: "The only positive thing I can say about this is that VAR Michael Oliver was brilliant because he looked at it immediately, said to the referee very quickly that it was a really dangerous tackle and he needed to go to the screen to look at it. We all know it's a red card. VAR dealt with it very quickly, so it was done and dusted."

Have the standards been lowered so much, that a referee, having the use of multiple angles and views and seeing Mason Holgate's challenge, should be described as Brilliant. If that level of competency is now described as brilliant, its no wonder we see the level of refereeing we do.

But these things were inevitable the moment they introduced VAR. The refs & linesmen are always going to go under the safety blanket and take the easy comfort route, leaving the rest to VAR. In cricket, before they introduced the technology umpires decided everything like runouts, lbws, thin edges, the lot. But these days they are only there to count the deliveries to declare overs.

In football, the monkeys have messed up the implementation of VAR so much they cannot do any worse if they tried. Which is why we see Holgate's tackle getting an yellow and yet Mac getting a red when VAR did not even intervene. Well, the implementation combined with corrupt cunts like Taylor & Tierney.

18 hours ago, John102 said:

I think the standards have dropped that much and we are so used to VAR missing these decisions too, that if they actually manage to get one right and in a timely manner, it's time to pat each other on the back. 

Are there actually any competent, intelligent referees in the game these days?  That was one of the worst performances I’ve seen in a long time.  

The way the VAR ref deliberately tried to influence the ref to allow Sterling's disallowed goal, by showing the angle which was clearly more favourable to Chelsea rather than the camera angle which clearly showed that Jackson was clearly offside, that demonstrates beyond a shadow of a doubt that these officials are biased against us.

As if there was any doubt anyway.

On 25/02/2024 at 18:51, Pete said:

Are there actually any competent, intelligent referees in the game these days?  That was one of the worst performances I’ve seen in a long time.  

And sadly kavanagh is one of the better ones. 

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’m sure none of you will be surprised.

image.png

It's exhausting. The only thing i can take from it, if I recall correctly, Tierney had a game where he didn't fuck us last time out. I remember being completely shocked by it. Can't recall the game now. Maybe now klopp's going, his hatred has dropped just a little. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And sadly kavanagh is one of the better ones. 

It's exhausting. The only thing i can take from it, if I recall correctly, Tierney had a game where he didn't fuck us last time out. I remember being completely shocked by it. Can't recall the game now. Maybe now klopp's going, his hatred has dropped just a little. 

Chelsea , the penalties not given

• Upvote 1

Still can’t believe Caicedo got away without a red card…from the FA rule book

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • biting or spitting at someone
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
  • receiving a second caution in the same match
  • entering the video operation room (VOR)

Reading those rules I can’t see how it is possible to draw any other conclusion than he should have walked.

1 hour ago, AdamD said:

Still can’t believe Caicedo got away without a red card…from the FA rule book

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • biting or spitting at someone
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
  • receiving a second caution in the same match
  • entering the video operation room (VOR)

Reading those rules I can’t see how it is possible to draw any other conclusion than he should have walked.

Apparently the var dicks deemed it as reckless and not dangerous. You couldn’t make it up.

8 hours ago, The wanderer said:

Apparently the var dicks deemed it as reckless and not dangerous. You couldn’t make it up.

Which would still be a yellow.

Careless= No punishment (unless persistent.)

Reckless = Caution. Yellow Card.

Excessive Force = Dismissal. Red Card.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Which would still be a yellow.

Careless= No punishment (unless persistent.)

Reckless = Caution. Yellow Card.

Excessive Force = Dismissal. Red Card.

Yes but VAR can’t intervene for a yellow that’s up to the ref Who clearly wasn’t up to it . A confident ref would also have told The VAR people to fuck off over Virgils disallowed goal.

1 hour ago, The wanderer said:

Yes but VAR can’t intervene for a yellow that’s up to the ref Who clearly wasn’t up to it . A confident non Manc ref would also have told The VAR people to fuck off over Virgils disallowed goal.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, aws said:

It was somewhere between a yellow and a red.  The ref’s main failure was not booking him for an earlier foul which would probably have kept him in line and avoided the injury. 

100% agree. The referees are over complicating things by thinking I am going to let the game flow, I am not going to book anyone easily in the first 10 or 15 mins or whatever but the result of that is injury like this. If they book for the right foul, regardless of whether its in the 1st min or 90th min then the injuries will reduce drastically.

• Upvote 1