You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

@Strontium Dog™ will like this site : https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

And maybe a few others will too. As bad as this is and knowing that people in this thread have lost relatives and people close to them, we still have to try and question everything we can that's going on here when we have governments that will be all too happy to impose all types of shit on us that could be around for a long time to come.

I'm not questioning the fact that this is a serious virus that's killed a lot of people and will kill many more. I don't think it's all a big conspiracy. I still think herd immunity is bullshit and would be insanity.

But we're going to be out of lockdown at some point and it's unlikely we'll have a vaccine by the time that happens. And the death rate for this could still be well under 1%.

Eventually we might work out other ways of doing this : https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/04/08/asia-pacific/hong-kong-taiwan-south-korea-buck-global-lockdown-trend/#.XpQFD5l7mUk

7 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Regarding mandolin the kitchen utensil I hate them, even though they have the safeguard knob I always feel like I’m going to slice off a digit.

I will never own one. And non- conformity of potato slice by using a knife makes for a better scalloped potato dish. 

Get with the mandolin yer big fanny, scared of a few cuts? Just have a bowl of vinegar ready at the side. As we are likely locked in for 6 or so months, got the spiraliser and sheet cutter for the kitchen aid. Spot on. Kitchen tools are boss.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Some good news for @Jennings

I made some incredible scalloped potatoes for Easter dinner, the best I have ever made. I fried six strips of stripey bacon and  put a sharp old cheddar cheddar cheese (is there any other kind) into the roux. 

Heavy cream as well. 

Take solace that miracles

can happen as i have fucked them up before.

Also hand cut the spuds, I am anti-mandolin. 

An Easter miracle!

Well done, that man!!

10 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Really sorry to read that, to have two things of that nature to deal with at the same time is really messed up. I can see what you mean though about him no longer having to suffer for whatever little that's worth, and hope you're doing ok yourself as well.

@Jennings agreed with suzy that you might be best limiting how much you read. I've been reading too much as well lately and a couple of the only things that keep me sane when on the internet is that I often go off to gaming websites and/or look around more randomly on twitter where I can find other stuff to read inbetween looking at this. Following people with a good sense of humour has helped too, I think being able to still have a laugh at times is really important right now to stave off depressive/anxious feelings.

If it's getting too much though definitely leave the net for a bit and read something else, watch tv/film, play games if you do that too, or whatever else you can find to do for a while because this can be like a gloom that sucks you in if you don't get away from it regularly. It can get more hackable to deal with if you get in the habit of having breaks from it too, even if the negative stuff does still flare up from time to time.

And also like suzy said avoid before bed. My main reason for this is because when tired reading about this is more likely to start up negative feelings including depression/anxiety and even anger because of the way this has been dealt with.

Cheers fella!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, suzy said:

Honestly try not to read too much, especially just before bed.

Hope you’re ok.

Oh I am great, thanks - just concerned - no different to most (and better off than some) -  just sounding off.

Good advice - cheers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Some good news for @Jennings

I made some incredible scalloped potatoes for Easter dinner, the best I have ever made. I fried six strips of stripey bacon and  put a sharp old cheddar cheddar cheese (is there any other kind) into the roux. 

Heavy cream as well. 

Take solace that miracles

can happen as i have fucked them up before.

Also hand cut the spuds, I am anti-mandolin. 

Washed down with a lime-infused Bud, NP?

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Really sorry to read that, to have two things of that nature to deal with at the same time is really messed up. I can see what you mean though about him no longer having to suffer for whatever little that's worth, and hope you're doing ok yourself as well.

@Jennings agreed with suzy that you might be best limiting how much you read. I've been reading too much as well lately and a couple of the only things that keep me sane when on the internet is that I often go off to gaming websites and/or look around more randomly on twitter where I can find other stuff to read inbetween looking at this. Following people with a good sense of humour has helped too, I think being able to still have a laugh at times is really important right now to stave off depressive/anxious feelings.

If it's getting too much though definitely leave the net for a bit and read something else, watch tv/film, play games if you do that too, or whatever else you can find to do for a while because this can be like a gloom that sucks you in if you don't get away from it regularly. It can get more hackable to deal with if you get in the habit of having breaks from it too, even if the negative stuff does still flare up from time to time.

And also like suzy said avoid before bed. My main reason for this is because when tired reading about this is more likely to start up negative feelings including depression/anxiety and even anger because of the way this has been dealt with.

I’ve had a couple of really bad sleeps (not falling asleep til 3am!) because of watching news or reading up a lot just before bed.

I try to limit it now.

• Upvote 1