You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

An easy way,just for now,would be to give the Stockley Park pricks a maximum of say 5-10 seconds to find an obvious fault otherwise just go with the official's decision. Its killed goal celebrations but waiting a few seconds is infinitely more bearable than minutes wasted looking at screens and replays all for the benefit of television.

I was saying to the lads during the match the other day, I would fuck stockley park off. Keep the screen at the side. If the ref or the lino ask for help from the 4th official and he looks at the screen. No stupid reviews. No etcha sketch technology. And if players start harassing the ref or the bench the 4th official, it's an immediate red card. 

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

The full image with the ball in shot is pretty telling too- the ball's a blur, so they haven't caught it exactly as it left the player's foot as the camera is shooting at an insufficient frame rate. How they can then make a decision so fine is ludicrous.

The thing that is annoying me is them cutting the ball out of that picture. You just know they're cheating with the technology. They don't want anyone questioning it. 

• Upvote 1

We could really do with an independent expert to determine how accurate the technology actually is. At the moment, it just doesn't look fit for purpose- you'd think a 120 fps camera minimum would be used to capture the images and the lines would be computer generated.

I've been saying at the very least offside should go from the feet. Today it looked like he was offside with his feet. As for the goal that was a goal everyday of the week and always has been other fans being irrate about that are just showing themselves up as absolute dickheads. As for the VVD handball it didn't even touch his hand.

Might have been posted earlier but I can’t be arsed searching.

Had a few other fans saying we’re only top because of VAR so sent them this link and asked them to explain this. Not a single response.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club%3fplatform=amp

its a couple of days old but illustrates their delusion.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

Might have been posted earlier but I can’t be arsed searching.

Had a few other fans saying we’re only top because of VAR so sent them this link and asked them to explain this. Not a single response.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club%3fplatform=amp

its a couple of days old but illustrates their delusion.

Didn't you know, it's when they give them. They go for us in decisive moments but other teams only get them against in decisive moments and get them for them when they'd win anyway. 

11 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

What's the point mate, our detractors will just find some other way to say we don't deserve it.

Fuck them all in the ass with a sharpened pineapple. 

It's a losing battle I suspect but if we all sit on our hands & nod along, nothing would ever get done.

On MOTD last night they were on about setting up meetings to discuss VAR between the clubs, referees & Premier League, not one mention of the people who pay to go & watch it.

28 minutes ago, Mook said:

It's a losing battle I suspect but if we all sit on our hands & nod along, nothing would ever get done.

On MOTD last night they were on about setting up meetings to discuss VAR between the clubs, referees & Premier League, not one mention of the people who pay to go & watch it.

Did you not know we don't count? The only people who know about the game are the people who have been paid to play it or report on it. Us fucking pricks who pay for it all, it's fuck all to do with us. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I still think VAR is a good thing if those using it were just a little bit competent and indeed consistent. In the big scheme of things VAR has highlighted what a bunch of useless bastards are in charge of the game we love. I often read articles over here in Germany where they laugh at how bad things are in the PL. VAR isn't going anywhere soon though, it is up to those in charge to ensure that it is used properly. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I still think VAR is a good thing if those using it were just a little bit competent and indeed consistent. In the big scheme of things VAR has highlighted what a bunch of useless bastards are in charge of the game we love. I often read articles over here in Germany where they laugh at how bad things are in the PL. VAR isn't going anywhere soon though, it is up to those in charge to ensure that it is used properly. 

I don't think there will be an English ref at the next World Cup either if this carries on. Michael Oliver is the standout ref for me.

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Did the Germans have a good laugh at the World Cup final it ruined & the Champions League games it's been awful in too?

It'll click eventually that it doesn't matter who is implementing it, VAR is fundamentally a terrible idea for Football.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Did the Germans have a good laugh at the World Cup final it ruined & the Champions League games it's been awful in too?

It'll click eventually that it doesn't matter who is implementing it, VAR is fundementally a terrible idea for Football.

I don't think it ruined the World Cup as international football is a different animal but it is a bad idea regardless.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't think it ruined the World Cup as international football is a different animal but it is a bad idea regardless.

The handball incident in the World Cup final was an absolute farce. The whole VAR circus should've been knocked on the head the day after.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Mook said:

It'll click eventually that it doesn't matter who is implementing it, VAR is fundamentally a terrible idea for Football.

They did actually. But in general the use of VAR has improved on the continent. Hopefully the same thing will happen in the PL, as in its initial year in the Bundesliga it was controversial on plenty of occasions, although nothing like the shit storm it is causing in the PL.

I don't think it is a shit idea for Football myself, just needs to be used better. 

21 hours ago, Mudface said:

We could really do with an independent expert to determine how accurate the technology actually is. At the moment, it just doesn't look fit for purpose- you'd think a 120 fps camera minimum would be used to capture the images and the lines would be computer generated.

Surely there has been expert analysis into how accurate the technology is already, right? You know what surprises me, it's the lack of sensors used on the ball and in the player's shirts. The sensors used in smart phones and other devices are fucking tiny. I don't understand why each boot doesn't have a sensor in the toe and/or heel that gives real time, automated feedback to the ref. 

The lack of cameras with high frame rate is incredible, to be honest. Ah well, at least it's not in a popular sport with 10s or 100s of millions of dollars on the table that's watched by billions of people around the world every week. 

15 hours ago, Trumo said:

Today only confirms that the answer is not to jib off VAR, but to correct the flaws in its implementation. Some of these are with the use of the technology, and others concern the actual laws of the game.

Yeah, I think that's right. We saw the strengths and weaknesses of it yesterday, and nothing about that was down to the tech itself. It rightly ensured a win and a goal for us, but also the rules are fucky and seem incompatible with such accurate measurement of offside. The spirit of the offside rule is surely to ensure that the attacker doesn't have an unfair advantage. He was level - to the eye - and I don't think anybody would have begrudged them that goal had it not been checked. That's not to say it should have stood, because all matches are being judged by that now. 

What I find strange is that it's not really being used to check decisions, but to check events. Rightly it checked the ref's decision to disallow Mane's goal. Bang. Perfect use of technology. But there wasn't a clear error by the linesman who flagged somebody offside, it was just checked and found that there was a millimetre of a toenail offside. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't think there will be an English ref at the next World Cup either if this carries on. Michael Oliver is the standout ref for me.

Said that in the ref thread, Oliver is miles ahead of the others, very good referee.