You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Lineker's been reported for "extolling Hamas terrorist"

not sure why they've chosen now to launch these complaints.

He saw a tweet saying someone had been murdered and retweeted it with the comment "how awful".

Anyone who thinks murder is awful is clearly extolling a terrorist.

8 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Hes also a bit of a prat if the truth be told, ive always found him to be a smarmy cunt to be honest. Fair dos for him speaking up about the migrants and the tories however

I remember having a rant about him on here a few years back, and calling him a virtue-signaller or words to that effect. Yes, I'm not his biggest fan (although I respect his achievements), but for me this isn't about Lineker per se, but about someone in the public gaze being censured by an organisation for criticising government policy, under pressure from the government, on the grounds of 'impartiality', when that same organisaton has let numerous comments supportive of the same government and against their opposition run without censure. And when that organisation is infested with Tories among its top brass.

This is all a bit North Korean for my liking, and if nothing else, it's flushed out the free speech turds, the self-proclaimed small-staters, in the Conservative party and elsewhere, for the frauds they are. TBF, I have noticed some that have remained consistent. 

• Upvote 7

27 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I remember having a rant about him on here a few years back, and calling him a virtue-signaller or words to that effect. Yes, I'm not his biggest fan (although I respect his achievements), but for me this isn't about Lineker per se, but about someone in the public gaze being censured by an organisation for criticising government policy, under pressure from the government, on the grounds of 'impartiality', when that same organisaton has let numerous comments supportive of the same government and against their opposition run without censure. And when that organisation is infested with Tories among its top brass.

This is all a bit North Korean for my liking, and if nothing else, it's flushed out the free speech turds, the self-proclaimed small-staters, in the Conservative party and elsewhere, for the frauds they are. TBF, I have noticed some that have remained consistent. 

I think that's why there has been such support for him.

Just because you work for the bbc shouldn't mean you can't be of the opinion that the Tories,are not a set of utter cunts.

54 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

He saw a tweet saying someone had been murdered and retweeted it with the comment "how awful".

Anyone who thinks murder is awful is clearly extolling a terrorist.

He wasn't murdered though, that's the point.

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The point is that he saw - and responded to - a tweet saying that he was.  Do you (or anyone else slagging him for this) genuinely believe that he knowingly "extolled" a terrorist?

No, but if your response is to block Jews who politely point this out rather than acknowledge your mistake, then perhaps you're not being reasonable. 

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

No, but if your response is to block Jews who politely point this out rather than acknowledge your mistake, then perhaps you're not being reasonable. 

Did he do that?

Did he

a). Only block Jews who pointed out the error?

b). Block people who pointed it out politely?

(Genuine question; this is the first I've heard of this.)

15 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Did he do that?

Did he

a). Only block Jews who pointed out the error?

b). Block people who pointed it out politely?

(Genuine question; this is the first I've heard of this.)

I'm conflating two tweets of his. He definitely didn't correct his mistake, however the blockings came shortly after another similar bullshit tweet he accepted at face value.

11 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I'm conflating two tweets of his. He definitely didn't correct his mistake, however the blockings came shortly after another similar bullshit tweet he accepted at face value.

OK, same two questions about the blockings arising from this other tweet.

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

OK, same two questions about the blockings arising from this other tweet.

As you can see I am hardly armed with the full array of facts here. I just remember being disappointed that he didn't acknowledge anyone who pointed out that it wasn't a murder but a shootout with security forces. It was a bit snide.

• Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, Strontium said:

As you can see I am hardly armed with the full array of facts here. I just remember being disappointed that he didn't acknowledge anyone who pointed out that it wasn't a murder but a shootout with security forces. It was a bit snide.

The way you phrased your claim about him "blocking Jews who politely pointed out" his error is a clear insinuation of anti-Semitism. Probably best to get the full array of facts before doing that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skend04 said:

O'Brien is going to be consulting his lawyers he's tweeted

It looks clear cut. Calling a broadcaster a paedo apologist is pretty damaging to their reputation. This is the problem with being a shock jock, it’s a high wire act with no safety net. Eventually you libel someone or say something so outrageous you fall off. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The way you phrased your claim about him "blocking Jews who politely pointed out" his error is a clear insinuation of anti-Semitism. Probably best to get the full array of facts before doing that.

And why are they dragging it back into the light now?