You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any twitchers out there?

Champ

My mrs is a bit of a bird watcher, came in last week all excited because she had seen a spoon billed summat or another. She goes bird watching with a skinhead fella and I go boozing with his wife. All a bit strange

Sure she wasn't telling you she'd been spooning Bill?

Sure she wasn't telling you she'd been spooning Bill?

Come to think of it

Anyway, I'm not really into bird watching but the weekend before last we went to Logans Rock near Porthcurno. We saw Cornish Choughs (steady) but the best bit was watching a load of gannets dive bombing for fish in among a pod of dolphins. It was a bit cold and breezy but sat there with a flask of coffee enthralled for an hour

• Upvote 1

It's even more rewarding feeding and providing water for the birds in this weather! My garden is inundated!

I just saw a good idea from the RSPB on Twitter...

...if you think any water you put out might just freeze, you can always put out chopped fruit, such as apples and pears

...if you think any water you put out might just freeze, you can always put out chopped fruit, such as apples and pears

And put a table tennis ball in the water so it moves around and stops the freezing.

And I was feeling all pleased with myself when I saw a fieldfare eating the chopped pear I'd put out on the table at the bottom of the next garden and then the next time I looked out flock of buckin seagulls had swooped in and were making off with the last of it.

At least I'd put some in a more sheltered spot. Greedy bastards

• 3 weeks later...

I would of thought they would have eggs/ chicks by now as they're the first to start as of all crows?As opposed to building a nest this late,yes noisy twats for sure but if they weren't there?

The nest has probably been there for a while mate.  I only noticed it in the past week or so.

Saw two of them flying in and around it today.  I'm assuming they're Magpies as they are black and white.  I'm no ornithologist mind.  

Can any of you bird folk tell me why I should hear birds chirping and singing at around midnight?

It woke me up the other night as I had a window wide open and thought I had over slept. It was just around 12.

First time I’ve heard that. Thought they must be shagging.

Can any of you bird folk tell me why I should hear birds chirping and singing at around midnight?

It woke me up the other night as I had a window wide open and thought I had over slept. It was just around 12.

First time I’ve heard that. Thought they must be shagging.

Haha, heard them myself at odd hours, read somewhere that artificial lighting etc can trigger them off.
  • Upvote 1

Injured Magpie in our house since the last few weeks. Getting ready to release her currently. Found her after just being hit by a car off a main road. Went through a period of having seizures but hasn’t for the last couple weeks which is a good sign.

c9cdb42d29fd2d4ae4cc3e6e1d8cd31c.jpg

Crow we looked after for a year after being rejected from his parents nest (had a calcium deficiency early on and couldn’t fly) even hand built an Avery for him in our Garden before we found a home for him. Cracking bird, full of character.

412e86b6183dc7e576aee6ebf85faa9f.jpg

• Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

I dont know if there's any link with the north sea haar that came in yesterday but a huge number of starlings arrived in the local gardens and have remained today. They seem incredibly hungry.

At the beginning of the year we bought a tub of peanut butter and mealworms that we hung out in a purpose made feeder. Nothing had shown any interest in the feeder at all until yesterday and these starlings have pecked the jar clean. There are some young amongst the group and watching the lazy things stand there with their mouths wide open waiting for their mothers to feed them is hilarious...and reminds us of no-one we know

I have Dunnoks and Blackbirds nesting in the hedge on our letf, Great Tits in the big tree(just fledged this weekend), A robin in the air extract of our downstairs bog and I think a wren in the old veg patch pile(which is now the dump pile). There are colored Doves and Wood pigeons in next doors trees and I know we have Goldfinches somewhere in the gardens surrounding. All in all, pretty much a great twitchers spot. 

Every now and again we get the remnants of a bird in the garden, so I know we have a sparrow hawk that takes a visit in the morning. 

• 3 weeks later...

Springwatch has been fantastic this year. Some really cool stuff over the 3 weeks. The blackbirds got hammered by the little owls. The wagtails by the weasel. The chaffinches by the stoat. 

A walrus in Scotland?!?!?!

Had a dunnocks nest about 3m from my back door. There was one dead one in there when I looked, and the other chicks had gone.

• Upvote 1