You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2017/18 edition.

Trumo

Guest Pistonbroke

Had football overload and a hangover today, Mrs out all day and done none of the shit I was supposed to crack on with, In the immortal words of Scarlet O'hara , "tomorrow is another day",

which is just as well,  

I didn't get up until 15.00 mate......I did go to bed about 6am like and have had bugger all sleep for a couple of days. Got doctors appointment early doors and I envisage a severe lack of sleep tonight. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Hope all goes well tomorrow, 

Be fine mate, just normal bloods and then off to the eye doctor for annual check up to make sure everything is in order. Hate those fucking drops they put in though. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Good, Don't suppose watching the end of our game yesterday did your eyes any good though !

Hahaha, only need the glasses for driving, or if I'm watching the large screen TV's. Watch all our games via internet in general. 

River Plate v Newell's old boys on in 15 minutes, should be a decent game. Not.....but it's football. 

City winning the league is obviously preferable to United, but I wouldn't exactly be doing a jig over it. Their fans are obnoxious bell-ends and were fucking cunts with the 'always the victim' shout at the game at the Etihad this season.

Similar to Everton, it's funny how they positioned themselves as guardians of the game against a capitalist behemoth and the true fans in a city.

There's absolutely nothing I find interesting or particularly likeable about them as a team or a club. Everything about them leaves me cold.

• Upvote 2

City winning the league is obviously preferable to United, but I wouldn't exactly be doing a jig over it. Their fans are obnoxious bell-ends and were fucking cunts with the 'always the victim' shout at the game at the Etihad this season.

Similar to Everton, it's funny how they positioned themselves as guardians of the game against a capitalist behemoth and the true fans in a city.

There's absolutely nothing I find interesting or particularly likeable about them as a team or a club. Everything about them leaves me cold.

Agree with most of this but I enjoy that they've played great football since the Sheikh has come in. They haven't fallen into the trap of the "results business" bullshit and hired Mourinho or the like.

Also, their top players have all been pretty likable. 

Hear what you are saying but anything is preferable to Man Utd winning the league or Champions League.

Me and my brother used to know a city fan who always sucked up to Liverpool. Mainly because we both hated the mancs when they were at the height of their power. He would try to get tickets off us for our home games and woukd come the pub with us if we were away.

Havent seen him for years but i doubt now he has the same attitude towards Liverpool given that they arent shit anymore and that they have overtaken us.

I don't disagree with that; De Bruyne, Silva and Aguero in particular are wonderful players and great to watch, but still, I'm just left cold by them. Your line 'since the Sheikh took over' pretty much nails it for me, because it's all just so artificial. It's basically just GM football and personally speaking, the complete antithesis of what I like about the game.

Wenger's invincibles are probably the best team I've seen in this country and I'd go out of my way to watch them. It felt like the culmination of a man's vision and the complete evolution of a side that went from 'boring Arsenal' to playing football that was out of this world.

City, though, it's basically just an examination into how deep oil reserves run. It's at the stage where failure is simply an impossibility.

It's obviously about what you're after as a football fan, but I think Section called it when he said City and PSG basically just appeal to a demographic that value nothing but cricket scorelines. Obviously it's a personal perspective, but it's the narratives, the team building, the culture of a club that fascinate. The Harlem Globetrotters cobbled together on a pitch just do nothing for me.

I'm honestly not exaggerating, but if I was offered a ticket for a City or a lower league or non-league side, I'd choose the latter because I'd personally get more out of it as an overall experience.

• Upvote 1

I don't disagree with that; De Bruyne, Silva and Aguero in particular are wonderful players and great to watch, but still, I'm just left cold by them. Your line 'since the Sheikh took over' pretty much nails it for me, because it's all just so artificial. It's basically just GM football and personally speaking, the complete antithesis of what I like about the game.

Wenger's invincibles are probably the best team I've seen in this country and I'd go out of my way to watch them. It felt like the culmination of a man's vision and the complete evolution of a side that went from 'boring Arsenal' to playing football that was out of this world.

City, though, it's basically just an examination into how deep oil reserves run. It's at the stage where failure is simply an impossibility.

It's obviously about what you're after as a football fan, but I think Section called it when he said City and PSG basically just appeal to a demographic that value nothing but cricket scorelines. Obviously it's a personal perspective, but it's the narratives, the team building, the culture of a club that fascinate. The Harlem Globetrotters cobbled together on a pitch just do nothing for me.

I'm honestly not exaggerating, but if I was offered a ticket for a City or a lower league or non-league side, I'd choose the latter because I'd personally get more out of it as an overall experience.

Agree with all that. 

City are too big to fail, and the media just haven't got a bad word to say about them.  In fact, they want them to succeed so badly, so that it legitimises the 'standard' of the division, and thereby the media can bask in the reflected glory of working with the PL and their glorious City team, and glorious Guardiola purity.

I think the refs are influenced as well.

One of the lowest incidences of being caught offside in the league, and yet... the team with the most shots on goal and most goals and 2nd most number of through balls played.  Those things don't tend to sit together. 

They've scored 19 goals in all comps after the 70th minute, which is testament to the ability to bring top level players off the bench and maintain high tempo with great quality.

United have 16.

Chelsea have 16.

Arsenal have 10.

Liverpool have 8.

Spurs have 5.

Four pens for City as well.

The added love-in based on Sterling, Stones and Walker being key components of the side and we're heading into a World Cup year.   Not to mention Phil 'Zidane' Foden.

The thing that bothers me are the decisions that aren't easily stats and how they are in City's favour.  Like Kompany last week who should have been sent off for fouling Vardy.  I think we're going to have to get used to that for the next few years.

2nd most number of through balls played

• Upvote 1

Agree with all that.

City are too big to fail, and the media just haven't got a bad word to say about them. In fact, they want them to succeed so badly, so that it legitimises the 'standard' of the division, and thereby the media can bask in the reflected glory of working with the PL and their glorious City team, and glorious Guardiola purity.

I think the refs are influenced as well.

One of the lowest incidences of being caught offside in the league, and yet... the team with the most shots on goal and most goals and 2nd most number of through balls played. Those things don't tend to sit together.

They've scored 19 goals in all comps after the 70th minute, which is testament to the ability to bring top level players off the bench and maintain high tempo with great quality.

United have 16.

Chelsea have 16.

Arsenal have 10.

Liverpool have 8.

Spurs have 5.

Four pens for City as well.

The added love-in based on Sterling, Stones and Walker being key components of the side and we're heading into a World Cup year. Not to mention Phil 'Zidane' Foden.

The thing that bothers me are the decisions that aren't easily stats and how they are in City's favour. Like Kompany last week who should have been sent off for fouling Vardy. I think we're going to have to get used to that for the next few years.

2nd most number of through balls played

Agreed. I think Leicester benefited from it too in 15/16. We also had lots of favourable refereeing decisions in 13/14. We got 12 pens in our favour! Gerrard's last shot at a title, Henderson, Gerrard, Johnson, Sturridge and Sterling being starters for England. It's a big variable. That's why it's so important to start seasons well unless you're Manchester United under Ferguson when the refs are always going to be in your favour.

Fucking corrupt bastards.

One set of rules for those horrible fucking rats...different for anyone else.

Not good for the product as Scudamore said if your most popular club struggles....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42135484

The Football Association referred it to three ex-Premier League referees to independently review on Monday.

They each had to agree it was a sending off offence for action to be taken and that was not the case

That's fucking ludicrous.  Even High Court Appeals you only need 2 judges out of 3 to form a decision. 

The difference being that their decisions are set out in public record.  Whereas these 'three ex-refs' operate in anonymity and without reasons. 

How is this info accessed?  I go on the FA site and I can't find anything to do with it.  I just see newspaper twitter feeds reporting the 'findings' of the panel.

Another aspect of Man City is that they are cunts.

Aside from the £198m they casually spent last summer, they also spent an additional £21m on their development team.  

That includes £10.2m spent on some lad called Douglas Luiz from Vasco De Gama.

But, to be fair to the cunts, they made £31m from selling four of their development/reserve players (Unal, Mooy, Ntcham, Sancho).

And their training facilities are, apparently, out of this fucking world.  Like, two or three levels above most PL teams.

The issue with City is around them doing a lot of things very well at the same time, to the point it's potentially going to cause a real problem for competitors.  

The Football Association referred it to three ex-Premier League referees to independently review on Monday.

They each had to agree it was a sending off offence for action to be taken and that was not the case

That's fucking ludicrous.  Even High Court Appeals you only need 2 judges out of 3 to form a decision. 

The difference being that their decisions are set out in public record.  Whereas these 'three ex-refs' operate in anonymity and without reasons. 

How is this info accessed?  I go on the FA site and I can't find anything to do with it.  I just see newspaper twitter feeds reporting the 'findings' of the panel.

For this case they basically needed it to be beyond reasonable doubt, but balance of probability is sufficient when judging things involving other clubs. Twas ever thus so the verdict is no surprise at all.

I'm surprised Guardiola went for the whole thing. For all their smugness and self-satisfaction as a club, there was a lot of good about the Barcelona team that he inherited and how their best players came up through the ranks.

From that to spending £100m on Kyle Walker and John Stones. He can buy literally any player he wants, and it doesn't matter a huge amount if the transfer doesn't work out.  I don't get the challenge for him, given that he achieved most things before.

If we can't go all-out 2005, I hope plucky Barcelona or Real (or any other side that isn't from England or Paris) succeed in Europe. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Fucking corrupt bastards.

One set of rules for those horrible fucking rats...different for anyone else.

Not good for the product as Scudamore said if your most popular club struggles....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42135484

The lump has only scored 1 in 9 anyway. Probably do the opposition a favour, as the fucking Pork N Cheese tramp will be parking the bus in two out of the next three games they have leaving that fanny Lukaku to job around up front by himself trying to chase hoof balls.  

Got talking to the aunt of a young irish lad at city when on holiday. She was a lovely lady and a big red who i got to know watching the football.

She was saying the facilities are unbelievable (to be fair at all the top clubs they seem to be) and their level of attention to their younger players incredible. I could see them becoming the go to club for most of the very best young players in the North.

They are around for the long term and ain't going nowhere.