You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Herbal Medicines

Guest Pistonbroke

Only for sleep related problems and they didn't work.

My mate swears by a bit of hash for his MS. 

I think everyone here knows that I'm aware of the benefits of cannabis. Ironically that's the one herb I'm in the process of giving up. I've got enough left upstairs for one spliff to share with my missus tonight and then I've promised myself I'm staying off it until I have another spaz episode. It does help a lot with pain and stuff but it does nothing to help with the fatigue I get sometimes. It probably does more harm than good in that respect. It's not exactly cheap either.

Been having a bad time of it since Monday with the tiredness and I'm willing to try something new. She's been doing some research at work today and popped down to Holland & Barrett on her dinner to pick up one or two things for me to try.

I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anybody's got any good or bad experiences with this kind of shit. I've always thought it was nonsense myself.

• Upvote 1

I was taking echinacia tablets for a while with my multivitamins before tea but frankly they did nothing, since I stopped taking them my health has actually improved. Though could be a placebo effect or because I stopped taking them in spring (therefore less likelihood of getting ill due to weather and general illness levels in the population).

I'm not overly convinced that Holland and Barrett style "alternative medicines" have anything other than placebo effects.  Not that a placebo effect can't be beneficial but it's called alternative medicine because they can't call it actual medicine. 

If you get it straight from a Masai, or an old aborigine then you might be onto something like... 

• Upvote 1

The missus is quite into holistic healing and things like that, she makes a yogi tea with various herbs and spices (I can find out the recipe when I get home later). She reckons it's a good detoxifier, and helps with all kinds of things to do with the immune system, digestion etc. and fatigue.

I don't see the hard science to back up these claims, but it's certainly a comforting beverage. I know things like oolong tea reportedly have many of the same benefits, so could be worth looking into.

She'd also recommend things like meditation, regular yoga practice and some sort of cardiovascular excercise like swimming, if you're up to it, to help contribute to an all round healthy mind, body and soul. It's also worth mentioning that humans in general feel a lot happier and more energised when surrounded by nature, so get out in it if and when you can.

Those things combined with a good diet and lots of water seem to have a great effect on general health, as far as I can tell.

Aye, I've been going swimming 2-3 times a week most weeks for a good while now. Any more than that and I start to hurt. I do eat healthy for the most part but going out for walks is not my cup of tea at all. What is my cup of tea is cups of tea and they're the reason I probably don't drink as much water as I should. Tell me more about the tea, Moof.

The missus is quite into holistic healing and things like that, she makes a yogi tea with various herbs and spices (I can find out the recipe when I get home later). She reckons it's a good detoxifier, and helps with all kinds of things to do with the immune system, digestion etc. and fatigue.

I don't see the hard science to back up these claims, but it's certainly a comforting beverage. I know things like oolong tea reportedly have many of the same benefits, so could be worth looking into.

She'd also recommend things like meditation, regular yoga practice and some sort of cardiovascular excercise like swimming, if you're up to it, to help contribute to an all round healthy mind, body and soul. It's also worth mentioning that humans in general feel a lot happier and more energised when surrounded by nature, so get out in it if and when you can.

Those things combined with a good diet and lots of water seem to have a great effect on general health, as far as I can tell.

I like all the eating well and exercise stuff but sadly detoxing is just marketing nonsense. Well, not nonsense on their part is it reaps them millions fromantic feeding into people's guilt about the less than healthy aspects of their lives

• Upvote 1

Aye, I've been going swimming 2-3 times a week most weeks for a good while now. Any more than that and I start to hurt. I do eat healthy for the most part but going out for walks is not my cup of tea at all. What is my cup of tea is cups of tea and they're the reason I probably don't drink as much water as I should. Tell me more about the tea, Moof.

Ingredients

2 quarts water

15 whole cloves

20 black peppercorns

3 sticks cinnamon

20 whole cardamom pods (split the pods first)

8 ginger slices (1/4 inch thick, no need to peel)

½ teaspoon organic black tea leaves

Milk (dairy or non-dairy) to taste

Honey to taste

Method

Bring 2 quarts water to a boil.

Add cloves and boil for one minute.

Add peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger. Cover and boil for 30 minutes (or longer).

When ready, remove from heat, add black tea and let cool. Strain tea.

Add milk and honey to taste.

I think a 'quart' of water is roughly a litre. We're going with the imperial measurements today, apparently.

Gives off a fantastic aroma, in all fairness, your house will be smelling like a Turkish spa.

• Upvote 1

I like all the eating well and exercise stuff but sadly detoxing is just marketing nonsense. Well, not nonsense on their part is it reaps them millions fromantic feeding into people's guilt about the less than healthy aspects of their lives

This is absolutely true, of course. There's no substance you can put in your body that will flush out nondescript 'toxins'.

When you apply the idea to a lifestyle shift, I think it can make sense. For example, giving up alcohol, sugar, tobacco etc. I would say is a form of 'detoxing'.

But I definitely agree the term is deliberately misleading.

Fromantic? *must check before posting*

• Upvote 1