You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

1 minute ago, A Red said:

Policy in the last manifesto - Overhaul Council Tax

I read that as potentially taxing the fuck out of me, dont care if its radical or whatever

I'm not arguing, it was a genuine question, since you said you think most people don't trust him.  

1 minute ago, A Red said:

Policy in the last manifesto - Overhaul Council Tax

I read that as potentially taxing the fuck out of me, dont care if its radical or whatever

Schools are in crisis. Kids are stabbing each other and police are overrun. NHS in turmoil. Trains are shit. Low wage zero hours contracts topped up by the dole. Utility prices are rising. Etc.

I recon we need a few quid to fix it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

Schools are in crisis. Kids are stabbing each other and police are overrun. NHS in turmoil. Trains are shit. Low wage zero hours contracts topped up by the dole. Utility prices are rising. Etc.

I recon we need a few quid to fix it.

Corbyn will go after the homeless first, I reckon. Take everything they have.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, A Red said:

This makes you part of the problem

Regarding trust. Who do you trust with your vote more than him? May won’t lead the party into the next election, so it could be somebody like Boris, Rees-Mogg, or somebody like that. Outside of the Tories, nobody you vote for will get any sort of power so trusting them to do something they can’t do is... pointless.

25 minutes ago, A Red said:

This makes you part of the problem

Well, that is the problem. Lots of people who are thick as shit vote Tory. Because they're told to. If only the people that actually benefited from a Tory government voted for them they'd get about 1500 votes nationwide. It's why making the mainstream media as close to obsolete as possible is absolutely imperative.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Regarding trust. Who do you trust with your vote more than him? May won’t lead the party into the next election, so it could be somebody like Boris, Rees-Mogg, or somebody like that. Outside of the Tories, nobody you vote for will get any sort of power so trusting them to do something they can’t do is... pointless.

I will trust the leader/party that offers the least chance of chaos and high taxation, in other words doesnt rock my boat too much. No problem with increased taxation - big on super rich, small on me.

Just now, A Red said:

I will trust the leader/party that offers the least chance of chaos and high taxation, in other words doesnt rock my boat too much. No problem with increased taxation - big on super rich, small on me.

Obviously I’ve no idea how much you earn, but are you under the illusion that Corbyn is suddenly going to raise taxes for low and medium earners? Because it’s just not his politics to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Well, that is the problem. Lots of people who are thick as shit vote Tory. Because they're told to. If only the people that actually benefited from a Tory government voted for them they'd get about 1500 votes nationwide. It's why making the mainstream media as close to obsolete as possible is absolutely imperative.

So that makes you more intelligent than everyone that voted tory.

3 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Obviously I’ve no idea how much you earn, but are you under the illusion that Corbyn is suddenly going to raise taxes for low and medium earners? Because it’s just not his politics to do that. 

I'm sure it's not his political instinct to do that, but assuming Labour attempt anything like the spending plans they announced in their 2017 manifesto, I don't see how it would be avoidable. No chance they raise all that money from high earners and businesses alone.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Its not about wage earners, its the tax on businesses and land that worries me most. I'm not worried about income tax. Its most definitely his politics to do that.

9 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

"That" being what?

Bizarre thing to write.

You said lots of people that voted tory were thick, you then went on to say only about 1500 of them actually benefited by doing so, essentially saying the rest were thick too. The fact you didnt vote tory makes you therefore, in your opinion, not thick. Or are you saying they're thick but you are also?

And you think i was being bizarre

22 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I'm sure it's not his political instinct to do that, but assuming Labour attempt anything like the spending plans they announced in their 2017 manifesto, I don't see how it would be avoidable. No chance they raise all that money from high earners and businesses alone.

I don't think they will. I think many people will be disappointed with the scope of change. There will be more money for social transfers, he will slowly nationalize things nobody knows what to do anyway like parts of railway, deficit will go up but not too much since they will be closely watched and the cost of borrowing will have to remain low.

Financial sector is too important, especially in post-Brexit Britain, to be meddled with too much in the short term, and taxes for the low to middle income people is where you lose elections, so they will tread carefully here. Taxing businesses more would also be mad in the short term.

There will be a change in atmosphere, more positivity and a lot of rhetoric, but not too much actual change. A bit like when Obama won in the US first time. A genuine sense of relief and optimism, for a while. Maybe there will be more change in the regulatory framework, closing tax loopholes and such, more employee protection and participation, stronger employment incentives.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't think they will. I think many people will be disappointed with the scope of change. There will be more money for social transfers, he will slowly nationalize things nobody knows what to do anyway like parts of railway, deficit will go up but not too much since they will be closely watched and the cost of borrowing will have to remain low.

Financial sector is too important, especially in post-Brexit Britain, to be meddled with too much in the short term, and taxes for the low to middle income people is where you lose elections, so they will tread carefully here. Taxing businesses more would also be mad in the short term.

There will be a change in atmosphere, more positivity and a lot of rhetoric, but not too much actual change. A bit like when Obama won in the US first time. A genuine sense of relief and optimism, for a while. Maybe there will be more change in the regulatory framework, closing tax loopholes and such, more employee protection and participation, stronger employment incentives.

Nice Font. 

2 hours ago, A Red said:

To tax the fuck out of me for one.

I don't know how much you earn (none of my business) but don't underestimate how rich the very rich (individuals and corporations) are and how much could be raised by taxing them fairly.

The amount of inheritance tax that the Duke of Westminster dodged when his dad died was more than enough to pay for the unemployment benefit bill for the entire country for a year. 

Also, as long as VAT is 20%, don't think you're not already paying too much tax.

2 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

"Developing the participants notion of their role in society" 

Sounds like a shit load of politicians are scared of young people. They certainly didn't appreciate their efforts in highlighting the inaction on environmental matters and generally sneer and are very dismissive as a rule. 

D1-JRx9-KXg-AE-ypk.png

Fucking hell. 

Where's that from?

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

Growth. 

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Growth. 

Let's assume that is possible - what if growth doesn't happen? As we've seen over the past decade, it's not that easy, especially when your economy is heavily impacted by what happens in other countries.

• Downvote 1