You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inequality

AngryOfTuebrook

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Now a survey has found that almost half of Britons think a key reason more young adults cannot afford their own home is because of their spending on takeaways, coffee, Netflix and holidays abroad. 

The study, by the Policy Institute and Institute of Gerontology at King’s College London, also found that young adults themselves are more likely to agree than disagree that spending on these items is a key reason that they're not on the housing ladder. 

The survey found that 48% of millennials agree with this view, compared with 33% who disagree, with a similar split among Gen Zers (43% vs 33%).

Someone once said that propaganda works because people don't believe it works on them.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Tony got his knighthood yesterday,

Blair is without doubt the most disappointing PM of my lifetime so far.

Brown wasn't PM long enough to reach Blair's level of disappointment, I was only 4 by the time Wilson and Callaghan were gone, and the rest were Tories so you don't expect much from them!

But after 18 years of Tory rule there was real hope for change when he got in with a landslide. You knew he wasn't a proper social democrat, that he was closer to the SDP than to Harold Wilson, but you felt that he could do some good.

And in fairness he did, at first at least.

But the longer he went on, the further to the right he went, climbed in to bed with a lunatic Republican US president being controlled by the pure evil that is Cheney, the illegal Iraq War, the PFI contracts for hospitals etc.

The crash in 2008 (whilst very much not Blair's fault or Brown's for that matter), just reaped the whirlwind of his soft Tory policies, and presented the country on a plate for Cameron and his buddies to implement austerity and all the joys it's brought us!

Hope he enjoys his 'precious' while it continues to ravage him from the inside out!

Blair reminds me of Carcetti in the Wire, he goes in wide eyed and ends up getting his head turned by the people who really run the show. 

As flawed as Corbyn was, I do believe it when people say the establishment was shit scared of him because he was a complete outrider. Most others who come through the Labour ranks - if they reach that position - are considered people they could 'do business with' if needs be. 

Corbyn was a complete freak result, no way he was ever going to be allowed to take the reins. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 14/06/2022 at 09:52, Creator Supreme said:

Blair is without doubt the most disappointing PM of my lifetime so far.

Brown wasn't PM long enough to reach Blair's level of disappointment, I was only 4 by the time Wilson and Callaghan were gone, and the rest were Tories so you don't expect much from them!

But after 18 years of Tory rule there was real hope for change when he got in with a landslide. You knew he wasn't a proper social democrat, that he was closer to the SDP than to Harold Wilson, but you felt that he could do some good.

And in fairness he did, at first at least.

But the longer he went on, the further to the right he went, climbed in to bed with a lunatic Republican US president being controlled by the pure evil that is Cheney, the illegal Iraq War, the PFI contracts for hospitals etc.

The crash in 2008 (whilst very much not Blair's fault or Brown's for that matter), just reaped the whirlwind of his soft Tory policies, and presented the country on a plate for Cameron and his buddies to implement austerity and all the joys it's brought us!

Hope he enjoys his 'precious' while it continues to ravage him from the inside out!

I think the most Blair thing I can think of was him talking about the Arab Spring where he said (paraphrasing) " we should say to the people you can have change, but not now".

It was a Masterclass in being an Absolute Cunt.

Tweet from today.

A more measured take from 2018. 

https://www.libdemvoice.org/a-mistake-from-the-coalition-years-that-we-never-repeat-57482.html

Hitting the nail on the head. 

“ Well said. This is a pretty damning insight into the mindset of those who ran our party in the coalition. So many people hit by benefit sanctions are victimised for spurious reasons, like the ‘crime’ of missing a jobcentre appointment because they were in hospital, or at a funeral, or because they hadn’t been told about the appointment. For this they (and their dependents) lose all of their income for months. Ha Ha.”

7A6892C2-25DF-402D-817D-987DB05723F3.jpeg

57F84D38-21F1-4759-9C43-77234E9C8EA2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Compassionate conservatism speaks. 

Same as it ever was. 

E045CB35-3CAB-4B0F-BAAC-C9071168C30E.jpeg

I don't think the issue is them.With very few exceptions the Tories have always been utter cunts,at least from Thatcherism. 

The issue is that millions of people will be fully on board with that because,it does not effect them.

That's the real problem. 

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I don't think the issue is them.With very few exceptions the Tories have always been utter cunts,at least from Thatcherism. 

The issue is that millions of people will be fully on board with that because,it does not effect them.

That's the real problem. 

A worse problem is that it is affecting them but they are either too stupid to realise, too stupid to accept there are alternatives, or they do realise but are too pig headed/tribalistic to accept what is happening. The "we won, get over it" Brexit argument. 

Selfishness would be the issue if the government's policies were beneficial for 50, 40, or even 20 percent of the population. They're bad for almost everyone. Millions of people, for varying reasons, ensure things stay shit for themselves. That's the most depressing problem. 

24 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

A worse problem is that it is affecting them but they are either too stupid to realise, too stupid to accept there are alternatives, or they do realise but are too pig headed/tribalistic to accept what is happening. The "we won, get over it" Brexit argument. 

Selfishness would be the issue if the government's policies were beneficial for 50, 40, or even 20 percent of the population. They're bad for almost everyone. Millions of people, for varying reasons, ensure things stay shit for themselves. That's the most depressing problem. 

The next few months are going to affect huge swathes of the population and not just those at the bottom.

Saying that it will probally still be Labours fault.

I'd genuinely love to hear a Tory argue the 'logic 'in still supporting them despite the fact that there are literally disasters every where you look.

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

The next few months are going to affect huge swathes of the population and not just those at the bottom.

Saying that it will probally still be Labours fault.

I'd genuinely love to hear a Tory argue the 'logic 'in still supporting them despite the fact that there are literally disasters every where you look.

"I'm sick of all these woke black presenters on everything" 

Its remarkable seeing some of the comments from an area in which the people are supposed to pull together. I suspect a fair few of them have signed up from other parts of the country. As a snapshot of the UK as a society, its illuminating. So many doffing cunts more interested in kicking downwards than looking upwards.