You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Connor Coady

SlugTrail

Jimmy Case at his peak would walk straight into the first team today.  If nothing else (and he had plenty), because he had balls.  Huge balls at that.  Add to that he was a cracking player and scored goals.

This

Jimmy Case would snap little Joe like a fucking twig and piss over all our current midfield

Jimmy Case would effectively plug the current bus route in our central midfield at his current age and state of fitness just now. At least the opponents would have to attempt to get past him.

Lucas in his heyday is comparable to Case in his heyday but without the tenacity, desire, lethal tackling, ability to put fear into opponents, take fantastic setpieces, run through the opponents midfield and defence and score rocket shots.

The bit that I don't get is the coaching.I don't think that Coady was up to the mark,but let's look at the situation with this young right back from Charlton,there were championship clubs vying to take him on loan almost before we had signed the lad,fuck me we should have left him where he was.He should have regular games in the reserves then on the bench then into the first team, that way he is coached to the Liverpool system.If he's not up to that then why did we buy him.

Presumably he wouldn't be on the 12 steaks a day diet of the 70s. Nor would he be wearing army boots, or running around in a slurry pit.

Then he's pretty much a different, hypothetical, player then. 

And once you get into guessing what a player "might" have been, it's not really that valid a discussion, for me.

The second part is key to discussing Case or Lee - they came into the best team by far in the land - full of senior level legends, at a time where they were protected from the media.

A Jimmy Case in this day would be all over the papers and out on his ass before he even made his first team debut.

I wish I'd not mentioned Jimmy.The ?!point I'm trying to make is about coaching.Surely if you send a young lad out on loan you are taking a chance on whether he will improve or not.I.e he goes to Pulis say, and comes back kicking the ball out of the ground,what good does that do to the player,or to Liverpool.Surely they should be coached in the Liverpool way.

• Upvote 1

I suppose you are right Howie,it's not just Liverpool that struggle to bring lads through,it seems to be the same for Chelsea,and the Mancs as well.But of course they have the money to just go out and buy proven players, to the detriment of youth.

Then he's pretty much a different, hypothetical, player then. 

And once you get into guessing what a player "might" have been, it's not really that valid a discussion, for me.

It's not really hypothetical, he's just saying ability wise he would more than match up. Fitness, diet and equipment would be the same as any modern player.

What were his personal issues btw please someone?

• 6 years later...
On 05/07/2015 at 10:01, VladimirIlyich said:
On 04/07/2015 at 10:27, Kevin D said:

The day we sold Coady was the happiest I've had, as a Liverpool fan.

I absolutely despised him.

Heard from reliable sources the lad was an absolute arsehole of a person too.

I've heard the exact opposite.