You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Case for Klopp

Dr. J

I'm mightily weary with the "Wait til last season!" bleating of the Rodgers treuen and would rather think about something more positive, like Jurgen Klopp in a red cap.

Firstly, the man is qualified. Anybody who disputes that should stop reading now. Secondly, some posters make fun of the idea that Liverpool fans can feel an emotional attachment with a manager. I admit to not liking it myself sometimes but it doesn't matter - it's in our DNA. I've yet to hear or sense any kind of emotional attachment with Rodgers on the part of anyone, not that I'd care, but there is an appeal about Klopp, an undeniable sense that he might just belong here.

What interests me most about Klopp is his intensity and passion, his living of every high and low and lull in a game. Granted, that's not a prerequisite for winning, Rafa being the most recent example, but it's something we need right now. To win the Premier League, and the older I get the more I despair of ever seeing a Liverpool captain raise a league winner's trophy again, we need to maintain intensity and committment a lot more that we have this year. Last season, most of it came from Luis Suarez, for whom there was never a lost ball or lot cause. We simply don't have that anymore. If it's not on the pitch, it has to come from the manager.

To win the league, which is the only thing that matters to me, we have to be able to maintain that intensity and fighting spirit game in, game out, half by half, the way winners do and are able to transmit to others, Simeone being a current exemplar, along with Klopp, Guardiola and Mourinho.

Klopp's available. Hope we are, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really want Ancelotti. 

It feels like since the turmoil of the G&H era the club hasn't had a proper chance to catch its breath, and what it's needed is a steady and experienced hand both on and off the pitch. 

The club has spent too much time making quick decisions, changing its models and philosophy, it needs someone at the helm who can bring experience and confidence, then and only then can it start to look at a longer term strategy. 

I actually wouldn't be averse to Rodgers being a number 2 for now, although I'm sure - rightly - he'd balk at that. 

What interests me most about Klopp is his intensity and passion, his living of every high and low and lull in a game. 

Which is contrary to the opinion of Kicker who said of Klopp he "sometimes stands in his technical area as if he were on a raft to nowhere".

Funny stuff, Cardie.

I like him, I'd like to see him manage us at some point (not for any reason as facile as 'he get's us'), it's the myth and mystique that people seem intent on fogging the decision with that makes me laugh.

I heard he only eats baby swans and makes his players drink peacock blood before each game.

Another Rodgers thread in disguise. 

Cant we just go back 12 months and reminisce about the prospect of winning the league, how brilliant Suarez was and taking the piss out of the Mancs and Moyse. Fate has dealt us a cruel blow. Well several actually.    

• Upvote 1

Another thing I like about Klopp is that he has blood in his veins, not lukewarm piss, and is not afraid to take said piss out of the football establishment.

He also has a raucous sense of humour, unlike Rodgers who must have had an emergency charisma bypass when he was in his teens. His lack of humour is reflected in the increasingly desperate smarmy cunts who support him the most. He's on his way out, lads, better start checking the railway schedules for West Brom.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Any need to be such a cunt about it, Dr J?

Started the thread to avoid these cunts, who have more than their own turf to wax about Brendan Rodgers, the Greatest Manager of All Time, Evah.

I'd hope for some positive dialogue about the pros and cons of hiring Klopp, not more of the usual cuntery devoid of any substantive critique or support. It's always Arguing the Alternative, the rhetorical crutch of cunts.

• Downvote 2

Started the thread to avoid these cunts, who have more than their own turf to wax about Brendan Rodgers, the Greatest Manager of All Time, Evah.

I'd hope for some positive dialogue about the pros and cons of hiring Klopp, not more of the usual cuntery devoid of any substantive critique or support. It's always Arguing the Alternative, the rhetorical crutch of cunts.

You eulogise about Klopp getting us and state his passion as proof he's perfect for us.

The first point even you seem to feel uncomfortable with given the caveats you've applied, the second seem's predicated on better times for Dortmund (which says nothing about character it is after all very easy to be the chest thumping intense passionate manager when you're winning).

Given the comments from Kicker during the troubles of this season (again as understandable as the chest thumping version of Klopp during better time), it seems he's more than capable of being the quieter more insular manager (it's human nature after all) when things aren't going well.

Yet you accuse others of lacking critique.

You eulogise about Klopp getting us and state his passion as proof he's perfect for us, the first point even you seem to feel uncomfortable with and the second seem's predicated on better times for Dortmund (which says nothing about character it is after all very easy to be the chest thumping intense passionate manager when you're winning) and, given the comments from Kicker during the troubles of this season (again as understandable as the chest thumping version of Klopp during better time), it seems he's more than capable of being the quieter more insular manager (it's human nature after all) yet you accuse others of lacking critique.

Eulogies are for the dead, or sacked managers - of whom I hope Rodgers is one shortly.

Comments from Kicker - the appeal to authority, another juvenile rhetorical strategy used...for what, exactly? To undermine Klopp. If you prefer Rodgers, just go ahead and say so. The arguments made against him are fucking legion and don't need to be run out any further. Kicker?

If you're against Klopp as Liverpool manager, state why. Don't use arguments that you dismiss against Rodgers as a means to attack him. You know, you can say things like, "He's unproven at the highest level, he's too young/too old, he's got no experience at a big club, he can't speak the language, he's never won anything", whatever. Instead you've got Kicker saying he looks like he's on a raft.

But I just had an epiphany. You're right, he's not intense.

Rodgers success here has blinded some fans who seem to forget we are still in the stage of putting a squad together, this while we have lost star players out of our team.

Even this year with a decent start we'd have been in the title race and have been to two semi finals, Id rather stick with a man who gave us our best year in the league and progressed the fastest over a manager who won a weak league a few years ago and fell way off the pace when his rivals got stronger.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Eulogies are for the dead, or sacked managers - of whom I hope Rodgers is one shortly.

Comments from Kicker - the appeal to authority, another juvenile rhetorical strategy used...for what, exactly? To undermine Klopp. If you prefer Rodgers, just go ahead and say so. The arguments made against him are fucking legion and don't need to be run out any further. Kicker?

If you're against Klopp as Liverpool manager, state why. Don't use arguments that you dismiss against Rodgers as a means to attack him. You know, you can say things like, "He's unproven at the highest level, he's too young/too old, he's got no experience at a big club, he can't speak the language, he's never won anything", whatever. Instead you've got Kicker saying he looks like he's on a raft.

But I just had an epiphany. You're right, he's not intense.

I'm not sure any of that had anything to do with what I actually posted.

I can't see Klopp going to any of those teams for the simple reason they've got too many overpiced egos in the dressing room who are too entrenched to give way to such a forceful manager.

With Gerrard gone, there's a clear deck for a manager to impose the system and regime he wants - no one in the dressing room will have any weight. In any case, Klopp, or someone else, would ship them out immediately as they, the players, have little or no weight with the supporters. Who gives a fuck what Jordan Henderson thinks, or Sterling, or any of them, when it comes to Liverpool Football Club.

The stage is set for someone with a vision, and the ability to make it happen.

• Upvote 3