You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Meeting new people - some serious shit please...

Bob

Right then, I need to make me some friends. Got painfully few anywhere near me and while I'm about to glibly say 'my wife's had enough and wants out' I mean it.

I've basically prioritised work over everything for so long that while it's finally paid off and I've got the house I want and a pretty nice wage, my life has gone to fucking ruin as a result wile I've not been paying attention.

I've got 6 months, maybe less to sort my shit out and get her back into wanting to be around me and it starts with making some new friends.

So, how is it done?

I'm the kind of bloke that gets on with almost anyone, but doesn't instigate anything. I'm a bloke people don't mind being around but only a few will go out of their way to do it by choice.

I've just dropped some emails to a local squash club and a badminton club, but I'm shot at both those things and fear I'll not fit in, so how do people do it?

What can I try?

I'm reaching out to the good folk if TLW and however wisely the GF to give me a shove in the right direction and maybe save my marriage and with it put my life back on track.

Oh, I'm also keen to keep it away from f*****ll as I need more in my life than footy and work.

Cheers in advance.

• Upvote 3

Take up hobbies as you're trying to do.  Hit the gym you meet people from all walks of life there plus you get fit in the process.

There is a website that will list loads of hobby groups in your area.  Can't remember the web address though.

Go to a load of free classes. I've met quite a lot of women, sorry, and friends, doing stuff like Creative Writing courses etc. You're largely all in the same boat. So the dynamic is good, its not a case of only you having to join a group of people that are already mates.

Do you live in a city/town/village? Actually, doesn't really matter. Get involved with some sort of community/voluntary project. There must be something that you care sufficiently about to give up a few hours a week to help with.

If you dont mind me asking, why, if you're saying your missus has had enough, are you asking for ideas for spending even more time apart from each other?

Or am I missing something?

Basically she's had enough of me having nothing about me other than work and football. I think as much as anything she is bored by me and I think getting some variety in my life and showing that I can go out and do stuff would benefit. Maybe I'm wrong but her attitude towards me at the moment makes being with her so difficult and its a endless cycle.

I'm ducked if I know to be honest, I'm in fucking bits.

I'm also not thinking of fucking off out every night and never seeing her, just something that's a bit of variety.

Doesn't help we've a nearly 2 year old daughter , no family around and not knowing anyone well enough to babysit, so us out together only happens when our parent come up here really, every now and then.

What,if any, interests do you actually share with her?

Shared interests with her is outdoor walking, comedy clubs, and live music, but it's really hard to make that work with the baby and lack of sitters etc.

You know what, actually typing that out has annoyed me. We can pay for babysitters so I'm gonna find some of those things for us to do.

• Upvote 2

Do you have any kind of childcare? If you dont, get some. As well as these new friends/interests, however frightening it might sound if you both want to save this thing you need to be spending time together on a regular basis. What was it that brought you together in the first place?

Right then, I need to make me some friends. Got painfully few anywhere near me and while I'm about to glibly say 'my wife's had enough and wants out' I mean it.

I've basically prioritised work over everything for so long that while it's finally paid off and I've got the house I want and a pretty nice wage, my life has gone to fucking ruin as a result wile I've not been paying attention.

I've got 6 months, maybe less to sort my shit out and get her back into wanting to be around me and it starts with making some new friends.

So, how is it done?

I'm the kind of bloke that gets on with almost anyone, but doesn't instigate anything. I'm a bloke people don't mind being around but only a few will go out of their way to do it by choice.

I've just dropped some emails to a local squash club and a badminton club, but I'm shot at both those things and fear I'll not fit in, so how do people do it?

What can I try?

I'm reaching out to the good folk if TLW and however wisely the GF to give me a shove in the right direction and maybe save my marriage and with it put my life back on track.

Oh, I'm also keen to keep it away from f*****ll as I need more in my life than footy and work.

Cheers in advance.

Why badminton ffs...those people are clearly out of your league!!

Where are you from. I'm in Ellesmere Port. I could be your friend and I would hardly ever insist on feeling your muscles or having you squat me.

• Upvote 3

Shared interests with her is outdoor walking, comedy clubs, and live music, but it's really hard to make that work with the baby and lack of sitters etc.

You know what, actually typing that out has annoyed me. We can pay for babysitters so I'm gonna find some of those things for us to do.

Sounds like you both need a bit of a break and get out and enjoy things you both like. Maybe both join local clubs if you want to make new friends.

I think the fact you have a young child is the biggest thing so maybe get out together in the afternoon more often if you can. Look up any old houses with big gardens, a zoo or a drive somewhere quiet and get to know one another again. When you do manage to get a sitter get out and do all those things you've mentioned plus buy her something nice that has meaning to you both - a framed pic of a nice holiday you had or something like that. hope it all works out

Why badminton ffs...those people are clearly out of your league!!

Where are you from. I'm in Ellesmere Port. I could be your friend and I would hardly ever insist on feeling your muscles or having you squat me.

ha ha.

He's miserable enough without you suggesting Ellsmere Port mate.

• Upvote 2

Take her on a date. An old fashioned date...not to the flicks where you can't talk, but somewhere swanky where you can talk ...and not serious stuff...make her laugh.

Make that a dirty afternoon. Then make another one

All great advice - apart from Ellesmere Port, I remember it smelling funny - so cheers.

My heads in no place to go on with this tonight, but I'll revisit your words.

Why can't life just be a but fucking easier?