You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-hoping-use-iago-7406240

Liverpool FC are hoping that Sevilla's interest in Iago Aspas will help them in their final attempt to secure the services of left-back Alberto Moreno.

The Spanish striker is surplus to requirements at Anfield and the Reds are ready to offer him as a makeweight in the deal.

The La Liga outfit have already held talks with Aspas' agent about a possible return to his homeland.

Liverpool have been thwarted in their bid to sign Moreno since their initial offer of around £16million was rejected in late may.

Sevilla sporting director Ramon Rodríguez Verdejo recently said the 22-year-old would be staying put after the Reds refused to meet the £20million asking price.

However, Liverpool haven't given up on him and are prepared to table an improved offer of player plus cash.

Aspas cost the Reds £8million from Celta Vigo last summer but struggled to impress and scored just once in 15 appearances.

If Liverpool can't swiftly reach an agreement with Sevilla for Moreno then they will reluctantly admit defeat and turn their attention elsewhere.

Brendan Rodgers is an admirer of £8million-rated Chelsea full-back Ryan Bertrand, who is expected to leave Stamford Bridge this summer in search of regular action.

The Reds boss worked with Bertrand during his time at the Londoners' Academy and also signed him on loan when he was at Reading.

However, Liverpool know that Chelsea are reluctant to sell to them after the impact made by Daniel Sturridge following his £12million move north.

If neither Moreno nor Bertrand can be snapped up then the Reds would enter the race to sign Swansea City left-back Ben Davies.

The 21-year-old Wales international, who came up through the youth ranks at the Liberty Stadium, had looked set to join Tottenham with Gylfi Sigurdsson heading in the opposite direction but that transfer has stalled due to the £10million asking price.

Liverpool also retain an interest in his Swansea team-mate Wilfried Bony but the ECHO understands he is one of a number of strikers under consideration as the club prepares for life after Luis Suarez.

The Ivory Coast international, who scored 25 goals last season following his £12million switch from Vitesse Arnhem, is keen to leave the Welsh outfit this summer in search of Champions League football.

But Bony wouldn't come cheap with Swansea expected to demand a fee of around £25million.

Suarez's move to Barcelona for around £75million is edging closer. FIFA's decision to dismiss the Uruguayan's appeal against his four-month ban for biting has no implications for the transfer.

With Alexis Sanchez having completed his switch to Arsenal for around £35million, Barcelona now have the funds to wrap up the Suarez deal.

Lazar Markovic's medical, which was initially scheduled for Thursday, was delayed due to 'logistical problems'.

Anfield officials insist there are no issues with the £20million deal for the Benfica winger and the formalities should be completed over the next 24 to 48 hours.

Surely Bertrand wouldn't be an upgrade on Enrique/Flanagan? The Mirror also reckons Bony has a buy out clause of 19mil.

of course he wouldn't, he's garbage. But apparently BR "knows him/worked with him before" and "will make him better", he loves some dross our Brendan.. It's worrying there are still some terrible players out there with whom he worked in Reading/Watford/Swansea/Chelsea.

of course he wouldn't, he's garbage. But apparently BR "knows him/worked with him before" and "will make him better", he loves some dross our Brendan.. It's worrying there are still some terrible players out there with whom he worked in Reading/Watford/Swansea/Chelsea.

Bertram.jpgThought you would appreciate Bertram for God's sake !

I'd rather all our competition was poor but it won't happen. So I'm glad to see our immediate competitor improve, as long as they go out and beat each other. If Sanchez helps Arsenal take points off City, Chelsea et al., it makes our job a bit easier, assuming we can hold our own.

Next season will extremely tough. To win the league or remain in the CL (with or without Suarez) we have to absolutely maximize points from the bottom half teams home and away., win at home against the better teams and do something away against the best.

In the meantime, let's hope for fiercer competition amongst the top 5 or 6. I think a point total in the mid-eighties will win the league.

The fee Swansea are asking for Bony is 25m. 

I don't think I could handle it if we sell Suarez for 75m and spend 50m of it on Adam Lallana and Wilfred Bony.

It's like selling your vintage Ferrari for 150 grand then spending 100 grand of it on a Vauxhall Nova and a Nissan Cherry. In mustard yellow.

• Upvote 2

We are hot sex now, so why the fuck are we trying to get off with these second rate stragglers? LFC, get on the fucking dance floor, groove over to the top birds, give it some fucking large and get it bummed. FFS. Bertrand? Bony? Fuckoff with that shite.

• Upvote 5

Bony is guaranteed goals. His record at all the levels he's played at so far is phenominal.

The thing that confuses me with it is his playing style and how we played last season. He's one lazy fucker, he gets involved in build up play but he's not very dynamic until the balls right infront of him in the box

It also makes you wonder what Rodgers wants to do with Sturridge. They could play in a 2 mainly because Sturridge is a great footballer with brilliant movement but I always think we look short in midfield when we go with a diamond. Maybe Sturridge moves on the right

If we do get him that would be 2 target men we would have signed. Bony has got to be the strongest forward in the league, wins loads of headers and can hold it up really well. I reckon Rodgers is looking at how we played away from home and wants to try and improve on the number of points we got on the road, he probably wants a better out ball to someone that can hold it up and help the defence. Whether playing that way gets us more points will be interesting

Done:

Can

Lambert

Lallana

Imminent:

Markovic

Moreno

Lovren

Rumoured:

Reus

Higuain/Benzema

If all them came off then fucking hell we would be serious contenders for the CL not just the PL

More chance of a euro millions win mind

Done:CanLambertLallanaImminent:MarkovicMorenoLovrenRumoured:ReusHiguain/BenzemaIf all them came off then fucking hell we would be serious contenders for the CL not just the PL More chance of a euro millions win mind

unless we got Moreno higuain/ benzema and reus from your list all of whom are the least likely I reckon we will be battling it out for 4th at best.

I've seen more links to Bertrand, bony & Davies so you need to add them to your list and suddenly the picture looks a bit disappointing. Compare that to the signings /links our rival have and we're not even playing in the same ball park. Granted it's all hypothetical bullshit until the window is done but I for one can't help feeling underwhelmed.

Our links and signings so far are much worse than what spurs ended up with last year. Now obviously I'll wait till it's over and then still get behind the club but it feels like we are wasting our chance to build on last year.

The more I think on it the more annoyed I get with Suarez we genuinely had a chance to cement our place back at the elite bit instead we're taking 5 steps back.

• Upvote 1

I've a feeling it's far more likely for us to end up with all of Bertrand, Bony and Lovren than it is to sign just one of the the better players we're linked with ie Moreno, Benzema or Reus.

Complete waste of probably the largest transfer budget we've ever had.