You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread 2014 - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

My comment wasn't aimed at suggesting he's above criticism. But if he of all people is just subject to "no use anymore, he can fuck off" then the whole thing is a shit sandwich.

Agreed. no quarrel here.

He's not great where he's playing and its not working.

So, i would like him to play further forward.

C'est tout.

I'm going out on a limb here. Gerrard will either adapt to the deep lying role, or there is no place for him in the team. Not only will his legs fail him tracking back so much ( unless BR gives him special dispensation) but he is a little slower of thinking and movement, in a modern game that has moved on in just a few short years.

I'm going out on a limb here. Gerrard will either adapt to the deep lying role, or there is no place for him in the team. Not only will his legs fail him tracking back so much ( unless BR gives him special dispensation) but he is a little slower of thinking and movement, in a modern game that has moved on in just a few short years.

What I don’t understand is in how many of the 50 plus games we’re likely to play this season did Rodgers expect Gerrard to start? Physically he’s not a Suarez, he’s had a lot of injuries, has a lot of miles on the clock and will be 35 in 6 months time. I can’t see how it was reasonable to expect more than 30 decent games out of him however his form went. So how was the team going to line up for the other 20 games?

Can has pedigree but he’s 20, unproven in this league and therefore a risk. I’m not sure he’s a sitting midfielder either, more of an up and down one. He seemed to make a lot of surging runs at Leverkusen in the clips I watched before he joined. He looked like one of those committee led, contract anomaly, bit of a bargain signings, not one we desperately needed.

I hope Rodgers didn’t back off signing a top class midfielder because he was afraid of putting Gerrard’s nose out of joint. At his age he has to accept that his powers are seriously on the wane and that the manager and club have to act accordingly. Lucas is not up to the job anymore and it was an open secret that he could leave had anyone been stupid enough to make an offer. All the up and coming midfielders in the youth system are far too young to play regular first team football so why wasn’t an established replacement brought in for that role?

• Upvote 2

I think you're not really understanding football.  A little slower of thinking?  You've had weeks to come up with something and you seriously believe he's thinking slower?  Don't be projecting your own shortcomings onto our players.  

You seem to forget (perhaps its related to your slow thinking issue) that Gerrard had adapted very well to the deep lying role last year.  Unless you're suggesting that because he's 34, his memory had gone and he's forgotten already, or perhaps that football moved on and his slow brain is not able to keep up.  Jesus H. 

What a load of bollocks.

I think you're not really understanding football. A little slower of thinking? You've had weeks to come up with something and you seriously believe he's thinking slower? Don't be projecting your own shortcomings onto our players.

You seem to forget (perhaps its related to your slow thinking issue) that Gerrard had adapted very well to the deep lying role last year. Unless you're suggesting that because he's 34, his memory had gone and he's forgotten already, or perhaps that football moved on and his slow brain is not able to keep up. Jesus H.

His attacking game is a mere shadow of what he was capable of paired with Torres.

Last season before being sent 'deep' he was guilty of poor execution of his passes, and in many cases he made inappropriate passing choices. Either his body isnt responding to his thinking, or his ability to think at pace - the kind of pace the team showed on attack - regarding the most appropriate use of the ball, is seriously diminished.

Rogers sent him deep because there were better players capable of his attacking role.

If it wasnt the case, he wouldnt be stuck deep.

Example: our best performance, arguably, last season was our 5-0 drubbing of spurs away

Gerrard didnt even play, and Lucas, funnily enough, was DM.

I think you're not really understanding football. A little slower of thinking? You've had weeks to come up with something and you seriously believe he's thinking slower? Don't be projecting your own shortcomings onto our players.

You seem to forget (perhaps its related to your slow thinking issue) that Gerrard had adapted very well to the deep lying role last year. Unless you're suggesting that because he's 34, his memory had gone and he's forgotten already, or perhaps that football moved on and his slow brain is not able to keep up. Jesus H.

I agree with you re: his deep lying role last season.

Unlike many here, I dont believe he should be pushed forward. Thats my whole point.

That was a drubbing of a team in complete disarray.  We put on far better performances than that.  With Gerrard playing the deep midfield role.  And let's not forget, Lucas playing towards the end of the season contributed to the clusterfuck that was our run-in.

If you seriously believe Gerrard's brain has slowed down, you're flying in the face not only of science, but in the face of footballing logic, which notes that experience and knowledge of the game can compensate to a large degree for lack of pace and athleticism.  There are a million examples in top flight football where this has proven to be the case, especially in the deep lying playmaker role.  

I think Coutinho will never be the calibre of number 10 playmaker that wins major trophies.

I agree, sadly. Even last year he was inconsistent - this year he's been awful. It's becoming apparent why he wasn't able to stick with his previous clubs. Suarez made him a better player, not least because he could feel and read Coutinho's 'xinga, xinga' style of play.

That was a drubbing of a team in complete disarray. We put on far better performances than that. With Gerrard playing the deep midfield role. And let's not forget, Lucas playing towards the end of the season contributed to the clusterfuck that was our run-in.

If you seriously believe Gerrard's brain has slowed down, you're flying in the face not only of science, but in the face of footballing logic, which notes that experience and knowledge of the game can compensate to a large degree for lack of pace and athleticism. There are a million examples in top flight football where this has proven to be the case, especially in the deep lying playmaker role.

I think you've misunderstood me. When I refer to Gerrards slower tempo, its not in the deep lying role. I also apologise for the words "his brain is slowing down". Clearly, he functions effectively and healthily.

However, in the attacking mid role, I think he struggled more with the quick interplay - the 'cut and thrust' of the likes of Suarez. Sterling, Coutinho and others. I saw more Gerrard passes go astray, or being mis timed, shots off target, and inappropriate passes, than Ive seen previously. That was my perception, but it could be flawed, granted.

That doesnt mean he wasnt motivated, as Ive posted elsewhere. This season, he seems unmotivated, and Ive suggested he is affected ny Luis leaving.

Football is as much mental as it is physical.

Kuyt and Lucas were dog shit and a massive factor in why we were shit during the most of Benitez's tenure, apart from when the players ignored the manager and went for it in the second half of the 2009 season.  

God loves a tryer, but it wins you fuck all in football if you are dogshit at actual football.   

• Upvote 1

Kuyt and Lucas were dog shit and a massive factor in why we were shit during the most of Benitez's tenure, apart from when the players ignored the manager and went for it in the second half of the 2009 season.

God loves a tryer, but it wins you fuck all in football if you are dogshit at actual football.

Still banging the anti-Rafa drum... At least you've got stamina!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk