You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carl Froch vs George Groves on Saturday

Kevin D

Aye, you cant knock Carl for the decision, hats off to him, he has guts and balls and a chin.

But Groves was bossing that.

Owen will back me up on this, right from when this was made I thought Groves was the better fighter and he proved it.

Put a rematch on and Groves wins it. Inside 6 rounds.

You surely did sir. I've always thought he was talented but I didn't expect that tonight, superb performance. He really needs to be more clever in there, he used up stupid energy by making silly mistakes and he was starting to look very tired.

Was the ref Howard Webb? Fucking cheat. And what about the judges scoring?

Boxing is still bent, feel sorry for Groves he was winning that fight by a country mile but full credit to Froch, what a warrior he took some huge punches but refused to give in long enough for the fix to kick in 

That was a crazy decision to stop it. Groves was still throwing punches, he looked hurt but not enough to be a danger were he could get hurt.

I wanted groves to get KOd but after the way he fought its only fair if Froch offers him a rematch.

I have always thought boxing was a bit nuts with some decisions, some fights should never of ended the way they have. The judges points were embarrassing, it makes me wonder if sky pay people off so there is a rematch and another £14.95.

Brilliant fight . You have to wonder how much corruption is still in boxing though.

I wouldn't say there was any corruption in this fight. 

Froch's reputation of being a warrior and spending a decade at the top afforded him favours from the referee. That much is clear. Groves was the victim of his own inexperience.

I don't think that was a corrupt stoppage lads. There was a 12 stone fella at the peak of fitness who was rocking and rolling a bit.

Granted it was early and in a World title fight you have to give a fella every chance, but had George been lying on the deck with his head scrambled, that wouldn't have been just either.

My view is that I know the shite you have to go through at shit o'clock in the morning to get there, anybody who climbs through those ropes deserves protection in the ultimate degree.

I think George would have ridden it out and could have fought on, but the alternative is too bad to contemplate. Michael watson was a friend of mine and he was one of the fittest fellas Ive ever met. Nobosy wants to see that.

It was premature, Groves was winning the fight and clearly so.

In some ways I hope Carl retires now as he is on the slide looking at tonight. George is better tha him, but that could be due to age and too many battles.

Groves will bounce back, he can take all the heart necessary from that, plus the injustice and he is World Champion material.

Carl gave Joe Calzaghe loads of stick for sitting in his armchair and not fighting him, so for prides sake alone there will be a rematch, which Groves will win decisively.

Then I hope Carl retires. He is a proper warrior, but this was an ageing fight, one of THE most ageing I've ever seen.

There will be a rematch and that will be Carl in his armchair.

Respect to Carl, he was up against it tonight and he found a way to win. You cant knock that and nobody wants to see any fighter in a bad way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yeah I can see why the ref stopped it but its still a poor decision, its not the worst I've ever seen. Its not enough to stop a World title fight ad George was still throwing and moving to get off the ropes but he was in big trouble.

Frochs will to win is unbelievable, hes a rare breed, what he lacks in talent he makes up for in pure heart.

As I said the judges are the worst thing about tonight, fucking wankers.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I can see why the ref stopped it but its still a poor decision, its not the worst I've ever seen. Its not enough to stop a World title fight ad George was still throwing and moving to get off the ropes but he was in big trouble.

Frochs will to win is unbelievable, hes a rare breed, what he lacks in talent he makes up for in pure heart.

As I said the judges are the worst thing about tonight, fucking wankers.

All of that is true. There was nothing corrupt about the stoppage, but anyone who didnt have Groves 4 points ahead must be on the take.

He was a mile in front. Had he been Champion with more self belief and a bit more experience, he would've stopped Froch and made it all irrelevant. Which he will do in the rematch.

Only saw the last couple of rounds but Groves did himself proud although on replay the stoppage looked more feasible considering how many shots Groves was taking just before. If the ref had paused the fight for a few seconds and looked into Groves eyes and spoke to him then it might have been more acceptable. Its easy for Groves to say hes fine and then get knocked senseless but if the ref had given himself a few seconds more to make a decision he mightn't have got the abuse he did.

I was watching a stream where the studio analysts were Paul Smith and Steve Collins and Collins comes over as a bit of a tit from what I saw the way he was ranting.

Only saw the last couple of rounds but Groves did himself proud although on replay the stoppage looked more feasible considering how many shots Groves was taking just before. If the ref had paused the fight for a few seconds and looked into Groves eyes and spoke to him then it might have been more acceptable. Its easy for Groves to say hes fine and then get knocked senseless but if the ref had given himself a few seconds more to make a decision he mightn't have got the abuse he did.

I was watching a stream where the studio analysts were Paul Smith and Steve Collins and Collins comes over as a bit of a tit from what I saw the way he was ranting.

Check out The Gloves are Off super middleweight, he's a lunatic

Groves really surprised me and after being a Froch fan for many a year (I started to dislike him a bit during the Kessler rematch) but since the build up to this one... I can`t stand the guy anymore.  He`s got the best chin I've ever seen inside the ring, but the biggest chip on his shoulder outside of it.  Yes most boxers are arrogant, but he simply lacks class and I suspect that he has lost a lot more supporters after last nights post fight comments.

I thought that the way they had Nas on the mic just before the ring walk was pretty discussing, who knows if little things like that influence the ref/judges.

The scorecards scream matchroom fix with two judges having it 75-76, you simply can`t make a case for that and boxing needs an overhaul.  Eddie Hearn is keen to make the rematch happen as he will earn a serious amount from it, but I can`t see Froch wanting anymore of that.

Oh, and one more thing... the ref had clearly decided before the fight that he was going to favor Froch, he let him get away with far too much and should have deducted a point on two occasions in my opinion.  

They were both guilty of sly punches to be fair

I expected Froch to destroy him. I can't stand Groves but fuck me what a performance and he didn't deserve it to end like that. I think Froch would have gone on and got the knockout because Groves was running on empty and Froch has been 12 rounds loads of times, he took that punch in the first and that was still rocking him 4 rounds later. The tables were turning though. 

For me I think Froch massively underestimated Groves, the l;ad had so much heart and yes a rematch will be great but i'd still fancy Froch. 

I don't buy all the bullshit about the ref saving Groves' career etc, bullshit, he had Froch with similar flurries earlier on and the ref did fuck all. 

Seriously though, what a fucking fight.