You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Record player/Vinyl

Sugar Ape

Father in law is giving me his turntable. He's got 4 for some reason - Don't ask - and his primary one cost him over a grand so he's letting me have one of his other ones which he has used precisely once since he bought it and would cost over £400 now for the turntable and the upgrades he's made. Sounds decent to me like, but what do I know? He was the chief engineer on cruise ships back when he was working so I'm assuming all this stuff he says he has done to it is good!

It's a NAD C556 or a re-badged Rega RP1. http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10453-discontinued-nad-c556-turntable-with-ortofon-om5e-cartridge.aspx . However, I changed the tonearm to a re-badged Rega RB 201, better than the RB101 originally fitted. It has a pure wool Rega mat, better than felt. I fitted a sapphire bearing and damping material to the sub=platter. I also fitted a thrust bearing to the base of the drive motor.

I'll change the cartridge for an Audio Technica AT95E. Set up the cartridge alignment and tracking force. Make sure it works, dismantle and store safely in it's box.
Forgot to mention there's an improved tonearm counterweight too. That's the shiny bit contrasting to the black arm.

0CAC3B75-D709-41B9-AB5C-BD11C95A2751_zps

2B8C4831-3371-471F-8616-124660849CC0_zps

68944195-1BDC-40CB-9F49-62D571E9161E_zps

82212FD3-3D89-45FF-915B-7B13F71CB514_zps

99FD69E7-E4D7-4A03-874C-6045EF5FB518_zps

Father in law is giving me his turntable. He's got 4 for some reason - Don't ask - and his primary one cost him over a grand so he's letting me have one of his other ones which he has used precisely once since he bought it and would cost over £400 now for the turntable and the upgrades he's made. Sounds decent to me like, but what do I know? He was the chief engineer on cruise ships back when he was working so I'm assuming all this stuff he says he has done to it is good!

0CAC3B75-D709-41B9-AB5C-BD11C95A2751_zps

2B8C4831-3371-471F-8616-124660849CC0_zps

68944195-1BDC-40CB-9F49-62D571E9161E_zps

82212FD3-3D89-45FF-915B-7B13F71CB514_zps

99FD69E7-E4D7-4A03-874C-6045EF5FB518_zps

That is what you all a result.

What will be the first spin?

• 3 weeks later...

Got a record player for xmas (one that also converts to MP3) and I've been given some of my mums collection.

Got some Jackson, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Issac Haynes (Shaft and all) Earth Wind and Fire.

Was bidding on an original Hendrix Electric Ladyland (the original sleeve Hendrix had the record company pull) with all the naked women on the sleeve but stopped bidding yesterday when it jumped up to 50notes. Will revisit that one as I'm exicted to hear that in Vinyl form one day. a Four sided record and all.

Goung to look for some early Zeppelin and Beastie Boys, along with Hendrix soon

• 1 month later...

Made up Definitely Maybe and the first Stone Roses album are being released on vinyl again, though I've got a copy of the stone roses one.

Listening to a copy of dirty dancing soundtrack on vinyl now. Cost less than £3. Superb.

I've got huuuunnnggrryy eyyyyeeesss!

• 1 month later...

Although that's true, I just think the Shuffle option on a CD player can keep an album fresh for years longer.

Was gonna pull the trigger on a Michell Gryo SE a few years ago but I backed out at the last minute because I would have had to send my amp back to Arcam to get it chipped. With hindsight, I'm pleased I didn't buy it, an expensive dose of nostalgia.

The easiest (and best) way to improve your sound system is to buy some fucking killer speakers. Exactly like these beauties...

Posted Image

Award winning Quad 11L bookshelf speakers. Sound seriously amazing, all play in, fucking mint condition, £250 ono (mates rates and all that. PM me if you're interested)

That said, that's just me. If you do get a turntable then I hope you really get some enjoyment from it mate.

Yes, quality speakers and amp are the best investment.

Avoid shit remastered cds at all costs. Early album to cd duplication was far more representitive of the vinyl. Talking around the early nineties, and a little later.

Unfortunately, todays cds are caught up in the volume war. No DR.

• 10 months later...

Weird, I was just coming on here to bump this thread.

Been after this for ages, lowest it's been is about £130 and as I've got all the albums second hand I've been happy to bide my time. Got it for £85 with free delivery off Amazon, great price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Albums-Collection-Vol-1973-1984-VINYL/dp/B00NVI90JK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426500880&sr=8-1&keywords=bruce+springsteen+vinyl

Bruce Springsteen: The Album Collection Vol. 1 1973-1984 is a boxset comprised of remastered editions of the first seven albums recorded and released by Bruce Springsteen for Columbia Records between 1973 and 1984. All of the albums are newly remastered (five for the first time ever on CD) and all seven are also making their remastered debut on vinyl.

The seven albums are recreations of their original packaging and the set is accompanied by a 60 page book featuring rarely-seen photos, memorabilia and original press clippings from Springsteen's first decade as a recording artist. Acclaimed engineer Bob Ludwig, working with Springsteen and longtime engineer Toby Scott, has remastered these albums, all newly transferred from the original analogue masters using the Plangent Process playback system.

The Album Collection Vol. 1 1973-1984 includes:
Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. (1973)
The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle (1973)
Born To Run (1975)
Darkness On The Edge Of Town (1978)
The River (1980)
Nebraska (1982)
Born In The U.S.A. (1984)

71bUozdVV5L._SL1228_.jpg

• Upvote 1