You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paco

Good professional result that last night, almost a throw back to our past Euro away exploits. Defended well, scored when it mattered and kept the ball for long periods. Nothing extravagant or special, but job done and that's all that mattered.

One thing which has frustrated me massively this season is our inability to close out a match from a winning position. Young Boys at home was a case in point, the game was won, qualification sewn up, all we had to do was keep possession and kill the game. Instead we continued to bomb forward in numbers chasing a pointless extra goal, and out lack of intelligence and naivity was punished seconds later. That wasnt helped in the ground by arseholes booing and screaming when we tried to pass backwards and keep the ball. Last night was refreshing. I know there was a stupid scare right at the end but up to that point we weren't troubled at all and kept possession along the back and midfield for long periods. Brendan talked about "death by football" when he came in and last night was just a small step in that direction. Intelligence has been lacking in our game for the past 2 years and every little step in the right direction should be welcomed. It's going to take time.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 12/13:

Sterling /Suso/Allen: 57 (43+14) games - 1 goal, 2 assists

Henderson/Downing: 36 (26+10) games - 3 goals, 4 assists

"I want my club back"

yet you'd rather we were dumped out of Europe last night.

You are pathetic and I no longer regard you as a Liverpool supporter.

Decent first half, poor second half.

Who do we want in the next round?

Atletico Madrid?

Borussia Monchengladbach?

Stuttgart?

Napoli?

Basel?

Inter Milan?

Sparta Prague?

Bayer Leverkusen?

Levante?

Or one of the Champions league drop outs?

Would all make good away's apart from Napoli.

Good professional result that last night, almost a throw back to our past Euro away exploits. Defended well, scored when it mattered and kept the ball for long periods. Nothing extravagant or special, but job done and that's all that mattered.

One thing which has frustrated me massively this season is our inability to close out a match from a winning position. Young Boys at home was a case in point, the game was won, qualification sewn up, all we had to do was keep possession and kill the game. Instead we continued to bomb forward in numbers chasing a pointless extra goal, and out lack of intelligence and naivity was punished seconds later. That wasnt helped in the ground by arseholes booing and screaming when we tried to pass backwards and keep the ball. Last night was refreshing. I know there was a stupid scare right at the end but up to that point we weren't troubled at all and kept possession along the back and midfield for long periods. Brendan talked about "death by football" when he came in and last night was just a small step in that direction. Intelligence has been lacking in our game for the past 2 years and every little step in the right direction should be welcomed. It's going to take time.

Spot on analysis that.

Jonjo Shelvey: 4 goals, 1 assist

Thanks.

Kind of adds to the point I was making.

Season 12/13:

Henderson/Downing/Shelvey: 57 (37+20) games - 7 goals, 5 assists

League starts:

Sterling /Suso/Allen: 35 PL starts.

Henderson/Downing/Shelvey: 8 PL starts.

Would we have scored more goals and in general done better if we gave Hendeson, Downing and Shelvey more chances in the league compared to the other 3?

Would we have scored more goals and in general done better if we gave Hendeson, Downing and Shelvey more chances in the league compared to the other 3?

The way I see it is that Allen doesn't seem the type to break forward and attempt shots at goal, and he's often not forward enough to make the decisive pass that counts as an assist. In Lucas' absence, Allen has been playing much deeper so has been even less likely to either score or provide assists.

Sterling's movement has been very good, and his strength on the ball and putting himself about has been what has stood out more in his performances. His decision-making in the last third and the quality of his shooting are both aspects that need improvement if he is to start scoring more goals and providing assists.

Suso - and I said this last night after his performance - doesn't seem to have a killer instinct to maximise some of the good situations he finds himself in. He favours his left side so heavily that it can sometimes kill the team's forward momentum. He also displays a lack of confidence on his right side which further minimises his threat. Work on both and his goal-scoring and assist-providing figures will improve.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Ace, Code is now taking goals against Young Boys and making out the same would happen against United, Arsenal or City. Good one.

On last night's showing, we shouldn't play Suarez, but should play Henderson. Tit.

Ace, Code is now taking goals against Young Boys and making out the same would happen against United, Arsenal or City. Good one.

On last night's showing, we shouldn't play Suarez, but should play Henderson. Tit.

Was the sample 1 game Numero or was it 57 starts between the two different group of players?

You really are a bit special are you not, if you are lucky your carer might take you out for a walk tonight.

Thanks.

Kind of adds to the point I was making.

Season 12/13:

Henderson/Downing/Shelvey: 57 (37+20) games - 7 goals, 5 assists

League starts:

Sterling /Suso/Allen: 35 PL starts.

Henderson/Downing/Shelvey: 8 PL starts.

Not fair to include Allen, he has been a defensive midfielder most of the season, only Southampton at home was he more advanced. Lucas, Mascherano and Hamann weren't judged on how many goals they scored, nor should he is he plays that role.

Sterling has been boss. He needs to get more goals, that will come with age and experience, but the rest of his game has been very impressive. Downing got 0 goals and 0 assists last seaosn in the league, so he isn't a great example to take his place. Stelring is the future and this experience will benefit him and us in the future, Downing just needs to be sold (as does Cole).

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Was the sample 1 game Numero or was it 57 starts between the two different group of players?

How many goals and assists have they had in the league.

You really are a bit special are you not, if you are lucky your carer might take you out for a walk tonight.

Brilliant.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco
CODE IS A FUCKING CUNT

I only seen the second half and to me it looked like we would only lose that game if we self detonated our own combustion units.

I don't think Udinese were that much of a threat but they did still want to spoil it for us so going away to Italy and beating a team there deserves a lot of credit especially when you need to win to stay in the competition.

Three things that bugged me' date=' the careless passing, this enrages me, the same players will pass it two or three times fine then the final pass to progress is a shit give-away of possession to the other team. The Reina pass out to the defender then the pass back and then opposition throw, I have seen that too many times this season sort it out.

[b']The corners, for fuck's sake[/b].

Really like Jonjo as a player but he needs to stop taking corners , shite.

What is it with out swingers aswell ? every corner we take should be an inswinger , looked promising at the start of the season with corners but its gone to shit again.

Suso against Chelsea was delivering awful near post corners hitting the first man everytime , that goal was all Carra with that header , he salvaged another bad corner there.

We get shit loads of corners , surely our conversion rate on them is down there with our goals to shots ratio.