You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My mother hates me.

I've been round there today and all she has done has been to pick at me, niggle at me, shout at me, blatantly go out of her way to annoy and try to upset and stress me. In the end she just came right out and admitted it, telling me that she begrudged me any and every little bit of happiness and enjoyment in my life.

I just got up and walked out and walked home.

The worst thing my Ma ever did wasn't deserting me and my younger brother to fend for ourselves when we were 13 and 11 respectively, no, the worst thing she ever did was fucking coming back into our lives some 5 years later.

Some people are cancerous, it's best just to cut them completely out of your life and head onwards towards pastures new. Hey, I'm a happy camper.

She probably doesn't hate you mate, she hates herself , and isn't enough of a person to accept that.

• Upvote 3

My mother hates me.

I've been round there today and all she has done has been to pick at me, niggle at me, shout at me, blatantly go out of her way to annoy and try to upset and stress me. In the end she just came right out and admitted it, telling me that she begrudged me any and every little bit of happiness and enjoyment in my life.

The worst thing my Ma ever did wasn't deserting me and my younger brother to fend for ourselves when we were 13 and 11 respectively, no, the worst thing she ever did was fucking coming back into our lives some 5 years later.

Some people are cancerous, it's best just to cut them completely out of your life and head onwards towards pastures new. Hey, I'm a happy camper.

It's sometimes the only decision you can make to remove someone from your life who is incredibly negative and has their sights on bringing you down to their level. I haven't spoken to my old man for around 13 years as he spent years trying his best to destroy my life. The problem with some people is that they think that they have the right to do whatever they want and there will be no consequences as they have privileges that other people don't have, so you will always go back to them so they get away with it.

Whatever you decide to do, have no qualms about making the best decision for yourself as it seems clear that they have no qualms about making theirs.

He's a lucky man to have a friend who wants to help out as you describe.

I don't know whether you have the kind of relationship where you can talk face to face or it would be better done by text but may be you can ask him what he might find helpful/supportive? I'm pretty sure he'll be able to tell you what helps. It might also be helpful to ask his missus what would be helpful because caring for/living with someone with depression can be really tiring and she may welcome the chance to talk to you about how she's feeling/get some respite/whatever.

Its also worth keeping in mind that depression may lead him to be very unmotivated and he isn't necessarily going to be in a position to recognise what's best for him. I was thinking about this earlier when I was working in the garden. When I had my first experience of depression my mum, who never really got it, but would get me to do stuff. At the time I really resented some of it but it was actually probably what I needed. I vividly remember her coming round and getting me to plant some bulbs she'd given me for my birthday. I really didn't want to do it but now those bulbs come up every year and I thank her for helping me to do that. And on the subject of doing stuff, especially for you blokes, I suspect, doing something together can be a lot easier for both of you rather than sitting in silence or monosyllables.

My mum was great but it was the kindness of friends that really helped me through it. That and the drugs

My daughter had a bout of depression,  it was situational and one of the things I got her to do was plant a garden.

Some of the flowers died so thank fuck one day I ripped them up and replaced them. As well just going out to a book store (she is an avid reader) or some activity they enjoyed in better days helps but you cannot push it as you can throw someone into a deeper spiral.

My mother hates me.

That's sad but you've definitely done the right thing, I've never gone in for all that blood's thicker than water stuff, there are only two types of people in this world - those that make you  happier and those that make you more sad - it doesn't matter who they are, friends, blood, strangers, workmates, only one set is worth bothering with and the rest can be cut out and forgotten, we all get better at that with age I find. Chin up though brother. 

A fella jumped in front of my train last night, went under the wheels and died. I saw him go as well, as i was in the front carriage. 

Absolutely grim. I've been pretty low at times but it's hard to imagine ever getting to that place, the poor sod. 

Was sorry to hear about that Phil. Obviously none of us can judge someone in that frame of mind, but I have to say, I never understand why when people do decide to kill themselves, they do it in a way that will distress or upset others. Climbing on a bridge as a cry for help I get, doing what this guy did and you having to get distressed about it I don't. 

Was sorry to hear about that Phil. Obviously none of us can judge someone in that frame of mind, but I have to say, I never understand why when people do decide to kill themselves, they do it in a way that will distress or upset others. Climbing on a bridge as a cry for help I get, doing what this guy did and you having to get distressed about it I don't. 

Just talking about that in work, Mark, i assume its the absolute finality and speed aspect of it. You'd assume that it would be quick with not much chance of it going wrong. I can't see that upsetting other people would come into it as they solely want to end their life.

I knew a fella about ten years ago who attempted to kill himself by hanging from a light fitting which gave way and he survived.  Which would be quite comedic if he didnt try it again a few months later from a wooden beam from the loft and he succeeded. His daughter was the first to find him as well.  

• Upvote 1

My mother hates me.

My ex walked out when my kids were 6 and 10 and was never there for them emotionally or financially. She gave nothing to them, no love and no compassion. We have all suffered, are suffering from depression and anxiety till this day at differing levels, mine is anger obviously the kids is abandonment and outright hatred which is no good for anyone. They are 18 and 23 now and want nothing to do with her, she attended a party last year as if nothing was wrong and was totally blanked, the kids were very upset afterwards. They will probably never fully get what she's done.

You did the right thing mate, people deal with things differently but you showed you were better rather than responding you left it. Some people have trouble getting their head around a women abandoning her kids but it is getting more common. Luckily they have had a huge amount of love and support from my partner of over 10 years. The world however is full of selfish people, they seem to always think they have an excuse but show no thought for the people they have hurt.

• Upvote 4

My mother hates me.

This is a blessing in disguise, at least she has admitted it and you can now act accordingly. Its far better than her telling you that she loves you whilst her actions prove otherwise. 

There seems to be a lot of women (i guess men too) who shout to the rooftops about their love for someone but in reality they just couldnt give a shit.

• Upvote 1

Just talking about that in work, Mark, i assume its the absolute finality and speed aspect of it. You'd assume that it would be quick with not much chance of it going wrong. I can't see that upsetting other people would come into it as they solely want to end their life.

I knew a fella about ten years ago who attempted to kill himself by hanging from a light fitting which gave way and he survived. Which would be quite comedic if he didnt try it again a few months later from a wooden beam from the loft and he succeeded. His daughter was the first to find him as well.

A lad I went to school with hung himself a few years ago in his sitting room while his wife and young kids were at Mass. They walked in and found his body. Grim. Don't know how they'll ever get over it.

A fella jumped in front of my train last night, went under the wheels and died. I saw him go as well, as i was in the front carriage. 

Absolutely grim. I've been pretty low at times but it's hard to imagine ever getting to that place, the poor sod.

Wow, can't even begin to imagine. I mean what, if anything would even be left of the poor sod ? Grim doesn't even touch the sides of that one mate.

Hideous.

Wow, can't even begin to imagine. I mean what, if anything would even be left of the poor sod ? Grim doesn't even touch the sides of that one mate.

Hideous.

The train was stopping as well, so it cant have been going very quickly at all. i assume he just went straight under the wheels. 

My head feels wrecked, and I genuinely don't want to go on anymore.

Try typing it all out on here, even if you end up not posting it. It can be quite cathartic and writing stuff down helps to get your thoughts in some kind of order rather than flying uncontrollably around your head.

• Upvote 2

I can't speak to a doctor. I haven't properly seen one for at least a couple of years. I had cancer in the late 00's, got the all clear and had to have annual checks. I haven't been for a check since the summer of 2014. My symptoms returned about eighteen months ago and have been getting worse month in month out. If, as I strongly suspect, the cancer has returned, I'm genuinely ok with it taking my life and have decided that, even if I saw a doctor, I'd refuse treatment this time. 

I can't speak to a doctor. I haven't properly seen one for at least a couple of years. I had cancer in the late 00's, got the all clear and had to have annual checks. I haven't been for a check since the summer of 2014. My symptoms returned about eighteen months ago and have been getting worse month in month out. If, as I strongly suspect, the cancer has returned, I'm genuinely ok with it taking my life and have decided that, even if I saw a doctor, I'd refuse treatment this time.

Tony, speak to your missus and go and see your doctor!

Wouldn't tell you what to do about cancer treatment that really personal and only something you can decide on (said the same to my mum last year,when she was deciding what to do). But if you are struggling with depress you might not be in the best mind frame to make the decisions and you dont want to wait too long and have your options cut. You should go and see a doctor,even if you dont know them just getting shit of tour chest may help

Best of luck

Mate this is a genuinely scary post, you have to go to the Dr's. What if you are wrong in your suspicions?   

You have to go the Do tor mate, I know you're afraid bit you must. I had Cancer when I was 16 and fought having Chemotherapy all the way, I hate the Doctors too but you must go.

• Upvote 1

Tony listen to people brother, this is just your frame of mind, it's not the real you and it's not how you're really feeling, it's like being in a fog but these days don't last, they get better, but you need a bit of help to get through it. Take that leap of faith my friend and tell the Dr how you're feeling. You can do it, just push through it the once and I promise things will start to change for you. Do it mate, please. 

• Upvote 1