You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wanted: Suarez - video proof of diving

Lapskaus

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the best you can do?

Suarez's style of play involves him in taking the ball close to defenders and tricking his way past them. Ergo, plenty of contact, however minor, and to borrow from Andy Gobshite Grey, 'he's every right to go down'.

That, in no way, is comparable to the REAL cheats, like Ashley Young, who has taken the 'Pires' to an art form - i.e. even if you're a full yard away from the defender, throw your leg out at right angle, contrive contact artificially, hit the deck... wait for your 12th man, Mark Halsey, to point to the spot.

There was contact between Johnson & Valencia aswell. I didn't see many people defending Valencia and claiming it wasn't a dive!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

rooneypen.gif

Is that a dive? Because to me it looks nothing like a dive. Watch the keepers hands the whole times. First his foot, then the rest of him.

So it's clear the majority of professional footballers go down easily with minimal contact, yet for some reason Suarez is the one highlighted in the press as one of the worst when clearly he is not. I can actually remember more times Suarez has NOT gone down when he could/should have than when I have thought he has dived with no contact. In fact, in the last game vs Norwich just before he set up that goal for Sahin I think, he feinted past a player got knocked but carried on playing. Last year I think something similar happened vs West Brom in the penalty box. If he was a player who looked for every opportunity to win a pen at the slightest touch he could go down a lot more than he does. I would say it's his histrionics that don't do him any favours but again, many other players do this, it's just he is generally singled out (especially since the infamous Manc game last year). Ferguson's hatchet job on him has been very effective, but once he starts scoring for fun, and he will, even the lack of penalty decisions in his favour wont matter and Ferguson will burst a blood vessel or two.

I was watching the way he was propelling himself towards the ground with his arms after jinking towards the defender. Young is every bit a diver, and he's been doing it for years. He's the type to make sure there is contact if he thinks the ref isn't paying attention fully.

Am I the only one who saw this gif on the first page?

suarezbeingsuarezmkvei.gif

Catches his right foot.

I found this one too.

suarez-dive-wolves.gif

Clearly tripped, how many times you been running along and stuck your right foot behind your left calf?

This one looks quite ridiculous also.

i4VwN12waD41N.gif

And a shove in the back to round it off. Yet to see one where he hasn't been caught in some way.

I also think Rodgers has told him to cut out the whining and play-acting, which was certainly not helping his cause.

I don't think he's a diver in the same mould as some in the league, but he doesn't come across well. It was nice not to see any of that in his game on the weekend.

Thanks to Acid for trying to get some evidence on the table.

Thanks to fungus for taking it apart. Let me add:

1. Our players would have been sent off for that challenge and he does catch him "studs studs studs"

2. He trips himself - why would he go down at end of box with the ball in a dangerous position...?

3. contact with foot and a push.

Can someone get a manc in here to have a go?

It really is amazing, because from listening to the commentators you would think he dives every match, but still, there is not one incident that proves it.

Stu, we all agree he does some play-acting and roll around, like many other players, but we haven't seen him dive like we've seen Gerrard, Rooney, Bale and especially Young do on several occasions. However, he does have a reputation of doing so amongst pundits and people who are swayed by them like you. That is the point of this thread. And unless you come up with something to prove you are wrong you just look silly

1) If you watch the motion of all of his leg, it's just as if he's running. No contact altered the way he was running at all, it's after he's passed the player he goes down. There's no evidence of contact at all in that one. The feet get close sure, but you can't definitively say there was contact, and there is more to prove the opposite.

2) He caught his own leg, yea, and he acted like he had been fouled. Unless you're classing tripping yourself up as contact and therefore a reason for a freekick, then I think that one stands as a dive.

3) Can't see his arm so might have been pushed yea, would have to see it from another angle to try and prove my point on this one.

I think a few people have missed the point thats being made.

Does he feign injury and act like hes been shot from time to time, yeah I'd say he does. But thats not really the issue is it.

The point people are generally making is hes been villified for doing no worse than anyone else in the league, which is going down easy when contact is made.

People have also been pointing out other players like Young have done far worse, far more regularly and have nothing said about it. i.e going down like a sniper hit them when theres no contact at all

In fairness I remember Young's blatant diving being brought up last year but it was nowhere near the level of shit Suarez has got in the past.