You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why no chant for Rodgers?

Guest San Don

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it is a combination of things. Four managers in two years stretches familiarity with chants. "Brendan" is an awkward name, "Rodgers" doesnt sound right, no obvious chant has surfaced yet, "King Brenny" is gaining traction in the Centenary, but mainly for novelty value.

Time sorts these things out.

Nearly everyone seems to behind him to some extent. I don't why he should have his name sung yet, though.

Singing a players name might make him run a bit more, r give him confidence to help him pla better, it won't really make a manager perform better IMO.

I remember being at a friendly against Wrexham back in 2004 before Rafa had taken charge of a competitive game and the 'Rafa, Raf-ael' chant was going around then. I don't recall anybody objecting to that, because everybody was joining in with it.

I'd be embarrassed if a bunch of moaning old gits were saying 'I don't see why that Spanish bloke should be havng his name sang'.

There's the 'there's only one Brendan Rodgers'- which I heard at West Brom and against City after the 'Dalglish' chants- but you can tell that song's only temporary. As much as people want to break it down from an intellectual perspective, I'd say most of it is down to the simple fact that his name doesn't scan very well when it comes to trying to fit it into a song.

2 to the sounds of the undertones

here comes the summer

hey brendy brendy what can I say

you know you drive us crazy with the football you play

you play the tiki taka and we pass them to death

back passes to Reina are bad for our health

He's Brendan Rodgers, He's Brendan Rodgers

He's Brendan Rodgers, He's Brendan Rodgers

Teenage Kicks

Brendan Rodgers stood on the Kop

He said lets get the red nets back up

At the press conference he sounds so good

makes Roy Hodgson look like a piece of wood

Brendan's gonna fight, fight for his life

and bring back glory days and european nights

He got the owners on the telephone

they're 5 hours ahead, it's 5 past 1

"we need Joe Allen oh we need him bad"

They said ok and we're all glad

Brendan's gonna fight, fight for his life

and bring back glory days and european nights

I know what San Don means and for me it's just part of the wider issue that is the Anfield of 2012 and that is the atmosphere is shite.

The moment we went a goal down any semblance of it died a death.

Even in the eighties when matchgoers were conditioned to success the Kop in particular would respond instantly to going a goal down at Anfield.

Nowadays it's score and we might bother our arses.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why are fans still chanting for Dalglish anyway?

Because he's a club legend, a huge part of the history of this club and a widely respected and successful man who gave everything to the club.

Probably.