You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Treachery beyond compare?

Hermes

Tom, I think you are spot on. History and heritage cannot be bought, players and managers go to Chelsea for money not because they are Chelsea, Mourinho himself confessed he would rather have come to Liverpool. That alone points to players motivations. Real Madrid are very different, they have both the money and the history, every player in the world would love to play for Real Madrid, but if you take money out of the equation we are still one of the top 10 sides in europe that footballers would want to play for, are Chelsea in the top 20? I don't think so. I'd say Joe Cole was the only player to sign for Chelsea last summer because of who they were, he was a boyhood fan.

Chelsea also struggled to keep top names happy last year, do you think the addition of another maybe 5 or 6 players this summer will help that situation, too many ego's and too much money equate to low team spirit.

For Steven to leave us now and say money is not his motivation is to say that LFC cannot match his ambitions, he obviously thinks his ambitions are bigger than the club, will he be happy playing 20 to 30 games for Chelsea, because to keep everyone happy, he certainly won't play every game.

If he goes, he is a cunt, simple as that.

Chelsea- too many gooses gandering the cook's black pot. There was snipping and snipeing all season long there- Raniera had to be the Tinkerman just to keep some order. Same thing this season. Jose is about to find out just what an ego is, as he'll be dealing with tons of 'em.

As for treason, perhaps Souness comes to mind?

I hate to say it but Chelsea do have more chance of winning things than us (though I still think Stevie should stay to help change that).

They finished 19 points above us, they have a manager equally as good as ours and they already have a stronger squad than ours with less uncertainty over their best player/s and a higher level of morale (they clearly feel as if they're going places fast) and they are showing their ambition now by trying (and looking like succeeding) to sign two of the best players (Rooney and Gerrard) in the tournament.

I don't like any of this but I am objective and at the present time on all logical factors they are more likely to be successful this coming season.

Don't think Gerrard has been anything special at all in this tournament. The three players (besides rooney) touted as being England's finest beforehand(Owen, Beckham and Gerrard) have all failed to deliver. Gerrard has been steady, but certainly not one of the players of the tournament.

Guest Benito7
Don't think Gerrard has been anything special at all in this tournament. The three players (besides rooney) touted as being England's finest beforehand(Owen, Beckham and Gerrard) have all failed to deliver. Gerrard has been steady, but certainly not one of the players of the tournament.

I meant two of the best in terms of ability and not performance in the tournament. For example Thierry Henry has been average in the tournament but he remains a top drawer player as does Gerrard.

fair enough, but before this tournament Rooney was hardly setting the world on fire. Ask any Blue and he'll tell you that he has failed to deliver for the most part of last season.

Agree that Gerrard is a top drawer player, misinterpreted what you meant. top drawer player, bottom drawer person.

I just don't see the logic in them not gonna win, because they didn't win last season. They spend alot of money, but they also made huge progress. Why shouldn't it continue this season? And for the Real Madrid-comment, they have arguable been the best team in europe for the last 10 years, but didn't win anything last season. So, they are not gonna win anything next season either? I just don't understand the argumentation.

If you ask outsiders with footballknowledge, who is gonna win more the next 10 seasons, Liverpool or Chelsea, I think for the moment most of them would say Chelsea.

I think the logic behind this argument is. THE Reason Steve may be going to chelsea is the money. The Reson the vast majorty of these players r going to Chelsea is "THE MONEY". Hence Chelsea will be a Team Made up of GREEDY Basterd's. who as proved last season when the going got tough they just bought another car to keep them from felling to down :). No Chelsea have some good players with there cause at hart like Terry and Lampard And a few more but Around them R players who will just of been sighned. Last years crop of Big buck sighnings are ALready on way out another crop will replae them. The Team that will win the leauge will be exactly that a TEAM. not a group of Overpaid Players. IMo if Steve does go he will rearly produce the type of performance he produced for us. he will play like he does for Englnad Which is not even close to the way he played last season for LFC.

Guest Benito7
fair enough, but before this tournament Rooney was hardly setting the world on fire. Ask any Blue and he'll tell you that he has failed to deliver for the most part of last season.

Agree that Gerrard is a top drawer player, misinterpreted what you meant. top drawer player, bottom drawer person.

Rooney didn't do much cause he was in a shit team who didn't have the wit to play with him.

If Gerrard leaves I will have to agree with your assessment of him.

No, that was Eriksson who compared his introduction on the World stage to that of Pele in Sweden in 1958.

Must admit I can't really remember that, but surely Rooney's doesn't compare. Maybe if he scores in every round and leads England to Euro glory, but let's see if he gets past the Portuguese first, shall we?

No, that was Eriksson who compared his introduction on the World stage to that of Pele in Sweden in 1958.

Must admit I can't really remember that, but surely Rooney's doesn't compare. Maybe if he scores in every round and leads England to Euro glory, but let's see if he gets past the Portuguese first, shall we?

Eamonn Dunphy (a pundit on Irish TV) also said this and I'm almost sure it was in some of the British papers during the week, even Pele himself was talking about how good he is.

I think Pele got 6 goals in 4 games or something like that in the world cup of '58, and as far as i know 3 of those were in the semi and 2 in the final - not totally sure though.