You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shankly's record

Rambo

May have been posted before, sorry if i am reapeating. Shankly's record wasn't fantastic pre Liverpool. Different era, different game but he was a new manager, with new ideas, and that didn't go too bad did it?

Not sure who I would want at the moment, but whoever it is I will support them until it's obvious the cannot do the job and not the other way round, don't support them until they prove themselves.

I would love Kenny to have stayed, but he hasn't.

In fact, due to sentiment I will opt for a choice of Carra with an advisor! I know that will be as popular as Steve Bruce to some on here but fuck it.

Team From To Games Won Drawn Lost Win*%

Carlisle United 1949 1951 108 48 33 27 44.44

Grimsby Town 1951 1953 80 47 16 17 58.75

Workington 1954 1955 85 35 23 27 41.18

Huddersfield 1956 1959 134 49 35 50 36.57

Liverpool 1959 1974 753 393 185 175 52.19

Total 1,160 572 292 296 49.31

roberto martinez win % 27%.

and Liverpool were in the old division 2 when shankly took over so his stats above were sound in comparison with stature.

now we are the 3rd most succesful team in the european cup and the most succesful team in england I think we can aim higher . agreed?

roberto martinez win % 27%.

and Liverpool were in the old division 2 when shankly took over so his stats above were sound in comparison with stature.

now we are the 3rd most succesful team in the european cup and the most succesful team in england I think we can aim higher . agreed?

I've not mentioned Martinez. I just find that most comments on here seem to be almost wanting a young manager to come in and fail so it can be turned into an "I told you so....(look at my vast knowledge)" sort of session.

Who would your choice be?

Support from the fans for the new manager is as important, if not more so, than support from the owners.

Simply not being Kenny is not reason enough to slate the new bloke, whoever it might be.

And before some dick jumps all over me, please notice my earlier comment saying I never wanted Kenny to leave.

Im a bit of an old fossil compared to a few of the younger posters on here but even I'm realistic enough to know that the games changed massively since 1959!

The comparison between Shanks and modern day is massive and even though the board of that day were most likely rich misers even they wouldnt have considered calling fourth place a success and winning a trophy 'not good enough.'

I've not mentioned Martinez. I just find that most comments on here seem to be almost wanting a young manager to come in and fail so it can be turned into an "I told you so....(look at my vast knowledge)" sort of session.

Who would your choice be?

Support from the fans for the new manager is as important, if not more so, than support from the owners.

Simply not being Kenny is not reason enough to slate the new bloke, whoever it might be.

And before some dick jumps all over me, please notice my earlier comment saying I never wanted Kenny to leave.

this is liverpool football club. we all have our opinions and wishes for the new manager but whoever is put in charge, over the coming weeks we will all 'see the dream' and by the time the season starts he will have full backing. we are not aston villa remember.

right now, of course no I dont want martinez/rodgers or some novice, I want an established top manager which is exactly what this club deserves. I'm sick of risks and 5 years plans. we need calibre right fucking now. I need a beer.

this is liverpool football club. we all have our opinions and wishes for the new manager but whoever is put in charge, over the coming weeks we will all 'see the dream' and by the time the season starts he will have full backing. we are not aston villa remember.

right now, of course no I dont want martinez/rodgers or some novice, I want an established top manager which is exactly what this club deserves. I'm sick of risks and 5 years plans. we need calibre right fucking now. I need a beer.

I am on holiday in Wales and have had three wines and a whiskey so far!

So who would your realistic choice be, assuming Pep sticks to his year off?

Rambo, nothing wrong with a young unproven manager the question is do you think FSG have the smarts we had back then to spot what we saw in Shankly?

I don't. Hence, people lean towards the comfort blanket of experience.

The last sentence is key, do we trust them or not?

In general terms, you have to give 'unproven' people a chance to see if they can cut it. Klopp did a brilliant job at Mainz but most people had not heard of him, he has since taken a virutally bankrupt Dortmund and turned them into Germany's new 'star team'.

Guardiola's only experience was the Braça B team.

We don't know how Martinez or Rodgers would work out, but heaven help them if they don't.

I suspect this summer will shape our future for years to come.

Im a bit of an old fossil compared to a few of the younger posters on here but even I'm realistic enough to know that the games changed massively since 1959!

The comparison between Shanks and modern day is massive and even though the board of that day were most likely rich misers even they wouldnt have considered calling fourth place a success and winning a trophy 'not good enough.'

I agreed its not fair to compare Shanks to the modern day, yet so many poeople are quick enough to use the same history to slate the current era....cant have it all ways....

The last sentence is key, do we trust them or not?

In general terms, you have to give 'unproven' people a chance to see if they can cut it. Klopp did a brilliant job at Mainz but most people had not heard of him, he has since taken a virutally bankrupt Dortmund and turned them into Germany's new 'star team'.

Guardiola's only experience was the Braça B team.

We don't know how Martinez or Rodgers would work out, but heaven help them if they don't.

I suspect this summer will shape our future for years to come.

I trust no-one and nothing. The question is really about ability. Have they done anything that suggests they have the ability to play a high risk game of spotting a burgeoning talent where historically the odds are massively against you. And for me the answer is no.

I trust no-one and nothing. The question is really about ability. Have they done anything that suggests they have the ability to play a high risk game of spotting a burgeoning talent where historically the odds are massively against you. And for me the answer is no.

Who does?

United in '86?

Barca a few years ago?

Chelsea in 2004?

Arsenal when they Recruited that mad, paranoid bloke?

It's all a big fuck off gamble unfortunately (now on a break from wine)

Struggle to

I am on holiday in Wales and have had three wines and a whiskey so far!

So who would your realistic choice be, assuming Pep sticks to his year off?

Klopp. some might say he is unrealistic but given the right contract we are still an atractive proposition to anyone. I wouldn't complain at either of the following, rafa, cappello, hiddink.

ps - you jammy bastard, i'm jealous

Klopp. some might say he is unrealistic but given the right contract we are still an atractive proposition to anyone. I wouldn't complain at either of the following, rafa, cappello, hiddink.

ps - you jammy bastard, i'm jealous

Ha ha, not been to Wales for years! (although I assume you mean the alcohol bit?)

Hiddink is too old, same for Capello....

Rafa? Controversial for 50% of the folk.

Who does?

United in '86?

Barca a few years ago?

Chelsea in 2004?

Arsenal when they Recruited that mad, paranoid bloke?

It's all a big fuck off gamble unfortunately (now on a break from wine)

Struggle to

Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger were hardly young unproven managers of the type we have been linked with. They'd all won leagues, won in europe, etc. The guys we're looking at haven't even managed in europe.

Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger were hardly young unproven managers of the type we have been linked with. They'd all won leagues, won in europe, etc. The guys we're looking at haven't even managed in europe.

I would say with respect to their leagues.....but I'd be lying

I want Brendan Rodgers, with Thommo as his assistant, Tony Mowbray in a coaching role and Txiki Begiristain as Director of Football.

Not for any footballing reasons, simply because it would be the most magnificent collection of noses ever assembled.

Brendan+Rodgers-cropped

_41113850_thompson203x152.jpg

tony_mowbray_1407190c.jpg

txiki+begiristain+barcelona+director+deportivo.jpg

Lets not get totally carried away by the wave of shite coming from Sky. If we are to believe what Ayre has said, then we will be speaking to a number of candidates and will pick the best option for our club.

I think it's fair enough to speak to Martinez and try to speak with Rodgers, it does not necessarily mean that these are the only people the club have in mind. Rumours being bandied around seem to point towards a list of up to 12 managers having been short-listed.

Personally I hope that we appoint a relatively young manager (with more calibre than the above two) who will be given time to mould the team to play the type of attacking football we all crave. I don't know if this will happen, but I'm not going to get hysterical about it...well not quite yet anyway!