You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ya can't wear your gear inside...I'd feel like a proper clown!

On a serious note, while I'm up unable to sleep with the discomfort all down my right side...cut face, aching shoulder, bruised ribs and a weepy knee..I was wearing a helmet and going over my bars like that I could have done myself real harm without that

you'll look cool in the malia rose.

1339433393.jpg

Its the Italian equivalent of the yellow jersey.

For sporting trivia fans its pink because the newspaper that founded the giro d'italia was printed on pink paper and the Tour de France has a yellow jersey because L'Auto was printed on yellow paper.

Nice, but ended up with

Altura Synchro Women's Short Sleeve Jersey | Evans Cycles

and

Altura Synergy Windproof Women's Jacket | Evans Cycles

Very happy

Guest Pistonbroke
Literally coming to the end of a fabulous ride in the Dales and somehow went over my handlebars within 300m of our holiday cottage. Can't remember a thing but luckily was found by my b-i-l who was just heading out on his own bike. Sick as a parrot. Been at A&E this evening and have to go back tomorrow. When am I going to be able to ride my new gear :(

Really really good ride in perfect weather up til that point

Did you cry, bet you did!

Seriously, hope there is no lasting damage and you are... on yer bike....soon.

No idea if I cried or not....absolutely no memory of why I came off my bike, being met by Bill or how we got back. First thing I've ever broken in my life!

Sherry's challenged me to put up pics....I'm thinking about it! It's not a pretty sight!

No idea if I cried or not....absolutely no memory of why I came off my bike, being met by Bill or how we got back. First thing I've ever broken in my life!

Sherry's challenged me to put up pics....I'm thinking about it! It's not a pretty sight!

never mind all that nonsense, how is the bike?

never mind all that nonsense, how is the bike?

Helmet unmarked...haven't inspected the bike yet but I'm told there doesnt seem to be much damage done. Starting to suspect my b-in-law knocked me off my bike in his car. No other witnesses! (not really)

Helmet unmarked...haven't inspected the bike yet but I'm told there doesnt seem to be much damage done. Starting to suspect my b-in-law knocked me off my bike in his car. No other witnesses! (not really)

Thats a relief, bones heal for free but new bikes don't come cheap.

Britain's Chris Froome has hinted he could be the leading rider in Team Sky's bid for the Tour de France next year. Froome had the support role as Bradley Wiggins became the first British winner of the tour in July and said of his plans for 2013: "I will only be able to seek one win and I have the Tour in mind.

"I think Bradley could be (the leader) on the Giro d'Italia and me on the Tour," he said.

Britain's Chris Froome has hinted he could be the leading rider in Team Sky's bid for the Tour de France next year. Froome had the support role as Bradley Wiggins became the first British winner of the tour in July and said of his plans for 2013: "I will only be able to seek one win and I have the Tour in mind.

"I think Bradley could be (the leader) on the Giro d'Italia and me on the Tour' date='" he said.[/quote']

The juicing cunt. I hope he wins nothing

Wiggins Is legit, but that kenyan fucker is juiced up to his eyeballs

You could see that would be what he wants to do after his achievements in the Tour this year and from the way he was presented on The Road to Glory. Wonder what Bradley's view would be though. The temptation to defend your title?

Well the tour route is out and looks like Wiggins will be riding Il Giro. No surprise really Sky have been hinting at it for a while and the tour route does not have enough individual TT kilometers for Wiggins to have a realistic posibility of the win. Looks ideal for Contador to be honest and with no prolouge and a team time trial in the first week we just might see Cav in yellow for a few days.

Climbs I have ridden on this route are,

Col d'Ornon an odd little col, its kind of like heading into a secret valley that feels like a dead-end then suddenly the road straightens and opens up onto an alpine meadow. A few zig-zags and you are at the refuge and on the way down. Nice flowing descent into

the Romanche valley not too technical.

Alpe D'Huez - A legend, the first ever mountain top finish at the tour in 1952 and a regular ever since. 21 switchbacks all named after a previous winner of the stage at an average of just over 8%, its not the hardest climb and the biggest gradients are at the bottom but its sure to be the scene of some big attacks. My best time was 83 minutes, the winner of the stage will do it in a little over 40 minutes on the second.

Col de la Sarenne head east out of Alpe D'huez past the tiny alpine runway and you hit the route de la Sarenne. more well know as a black run during the ski-ing season its a rough narrow road, well it was 18 months ago they might have resurfaced it for the tour, for most of the route it traverses the side of the mountain and gradually descends but for the last 3 o4 k it kicks up to a respectable 7%. Its quite a techncial descent and again a rough surface for the first few kilometers it gets better once you reach the first hamlet.

Col du Glandon My favourite ride in the alps is the climb to the twin cols of Glandon and Croix de fer from Bourg d'Oisans. Its furstrating in places too because half way along at Riviers d'Allemont yout hit some switchbacks and lose about 150meters to the altitude that you have worked so hard to gain but still after a couple of really steep kilometers you make it to the barrage and after that its alpine meadow. Smooth tarmac, traffic free sweeping bends and high above the treeline makes this the best descent.

By the time the tour starts I should also have done the Mont Ventoux as I'm going to Provence in June.

Vive le tour tout le monde.

Looking at getting into this cycling lark at some point over the next few weeks/months. I'm a bit conflicted as to whether to buy a mountain bike or a hybrid bike though. I only really see myself riding with my dog alongside me as opposed to doing mile after mile alone on the roads.

I'll do a fair bit of riding with him tethered to the side with some strange device keeping him away from the wheels. Much of this will be on muddy canal toepaths but I want the option of riding downhill through the occasional bit of woodland. Clearly a road bike would be useless here, however I'm conflicted as to whether to go for a Mountain Bike or a hybrid. Anyone care to chip in here?

Well pretty much as I've said. I have no specific goals, I just want a bike that suits my needs. I want something that suits me riding on the roads, canal toepaths and, should the need arise, the occasional bit of hilly/muddy/bumpy terrain without that being too severe.

I guess I'm unsure whether a hybrid could stand up to the latter or whether it's worth just getting a decent mountain bike.

hybrid is a bit of a catch all expression for anything that is in between a road bike a and a hardtail MTB. So on a sliding scale you have

Road bike frame with level pull brakes and thin tyres but it will have a MTB type of gear

Next model up will have the MTB gear but a stronger frame and disk brakes

Next model up will have the MTB gear, stonger frame, hydraulic brakes, thicker tyres and suspension forks

Then its a hybrid mountain bike

Sounds like you want something like the last hybrid in that list which will be quick enough for you on the road and good enough for riding trails but not full offroad stuff.

Go along to a proper bike shop and talk to them about it, they'll sell you the right thing. Not Halfords.

Or, go along to a proper bike shop chat them up, including mentioning the Boardmans , and take it from there. A decent bike shop will government you advice, let you test ride stuff and then you can set the Boardmans against what you have learned andtake your choice after that

Cheers for that mate. I was looking at the Boardman bikes which only seem to be sold at Halfords. Seems a bit daft that, as they seem very highly rated and come recommended as better spec than similar priced models. I'll have to try and find a decent place near me.

Boardman is exclusive to halfords. I would say on average they have 1 decent upgrade compared to the equivalent priced Giant/Specialized. What I dont like about Halfords is that you will probably get measured and have the bike set-up up by a pimply faced youth who has been on a 1 day training course rather than someone who actually knows about bikes.