You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tactics.

etho

I think alot of the problems we have experienced this season are due to the tactics we are using.

4-4-2 doesn't suit our better players, and we don't have the players to play 4-4-2 anyway. Dirk Kuyt isn't a right midfielder, neither is Jordan Henderson. Playing 2 in the middle has frequently seen us over run in midfield, and Adam doesn't have the legs to play in it. Playing Gerrard in a 4-4-2 means you automatically lose the sides biggest goal threat. It also means you don't have the dual protective shield in front of the back 4 that 4-2-3-1 provides, which stifles Johnson and Enrique from getting forward.

If we played

............................................Reina...............................................

Johnson...........................Skrtel........................Agger...................Enrique

.......................................Spearing.....................Henderson..................

Kuyt.......................................Gerrard.....................................Downing

............................................Suarez.............................................

We'd have one more games, i'm sure of it.

Why isnt he? I think Suarez & the team look best when he is the lone striker. That formation the OP goes with is, without doubt, what we should be playing. Not playing Gerrard 'in the hole' is a fucking massive mistake.

Hes never played there in his career for any team, international or club.

I found this diagram on the dispersion of rain that drips from the roof off buildings

rain_cycle004.jpg

I see downing as vegetation, carra is clearly playing right back in this scenario but you can see a lot of players look to pavement ( gerrard ) it's too much and a lot of it is because curb I mean Henderson is getting the ball and getting rid as soon as possible to the first man available sewer who is Adam with his Hollywood water dispersion.

I'm going out.

Its more mentality. More about commiting players into the box when attacking. The crap we play we go a goal up is ridiculous. all players behind the ball, going deep and trying to p;lay on the break, doesnt work without pace (which we lack).

A mate of mine (a non-liverpool supporter) made a comment the other day that the reason we never score any goals is that we never have anyone in the box. This is exacerbated by suarez playing up front on his own as his natural game is to come looking for the ball.

I found this diagram on the dispersion of rain that drips from the roof off buildings

rain_cycle004.jpg

I see downing as vegetation, carra is clearly playing right back in this scenario but you can see a lot of players look to pavement ( gerrard ) it's too much and a lot of it is because curb I mean Henderson is getting the ball and getting rid as soon as possible to the first man available sewer who is Adam with his Hollywood water dispersion.

I'm going out.

brilliant apart from the carra stick....

fucking amazing player one of the clubs greatest servants. show him some respect

Hes never played there in his career for any team, international or club.

A mate of mine (a non-liverpool supporter) made a comment the other day that the reason we never score any goals is that we never have anyone in the box. This is exacerbated by suarez playing up front on his own as his natural game is to come looking for the ball.

Contradicting yourself there. He's played on his own up front more than a few times & we look all the better for it.

Suarez drops deep looking for the ball. He's also great at getting into fantastic positions in the box and drawing defenders towards him but poor at finishing the moves. Both of these things point to the advantages of having other players in the box around him. He will be far more effective with players providing passing options and applying finishes for him.

I think a 4-3-3 with suarez cutting in from one of the wings or a 4-2-3-1 with suarez in the attacking trident behind another striker would be good. We've seen how Kuyt thrives off him and theres been glimpses with Carroll... imagine what a top class in form striker would do.

Jamie Carragher - One of the clubs greatest "servants".

Didn't know servants were paid tens of millions of pounds to do what they love for a living in front of thousands of people cheering them on, in their hometown.

So many romantics at our club.

Strange thing to say. Carraghers commitment to us isnt defined by how much he's paid surely? He's earned every plaudit he's given due to the outstanding service he has given to our club. It's not his fault that its a millionaires game nowadays. He'd have been a great 'servant' in any era.

Strange thing to say. Carraghers commitment to us isnt defined by how much he's paid surely? He's earned every plaudit he's given due to the outstanding service he has given to our club. It's not his fault that its a millionaires game nowadays. He'd have been a great 'servant' in any era.

I dont begrudge him for earning millions of pounds. And as you say, it's not his fault that its a millionaires game nowadays.

He has had some years of outstanding service. He has also had years in which he's not performed very well. He should be respected and thanked but not to the point its taken by some. He is very lucky to have played for us for so many years, largely owed to our poor performance as a club since the 90s.

brilliant apart from the carra stick....

fucking amazing player one of the clubs greatest servants. show him some respect

I'm not having a pop at him he's just not a right back who runs down the flank like Kelly and Johnson, and the hoof is tongue and cheek you won't get a bigger carra fan he's a legend.

Look, IMO we are not playing a 442 in the traditional sense.

We are playing a very fluid 442 at times, and at others we are playing a fluid 4231/451

In order to make the pitch big in attack, and small in defense you need pace, movement and crisp passing, especially at the pace KK wants to do it.

At the moment, it's not quite coming off because of our lack of players who get in the box.

Having said that, we are further ahead (in terms of how we are playing) than I expected us to be.

KK isn't really following the Rinus Michels model in the way that Rafa did, and I think that is part of the problem.

In some respects, I think the team is trying to run before it can walk - and by team, I mean the whole of the playing and coaching and medical staff.

There's nothing wrong with aiming high, but before all the pieces are in place, sometimes it's going to go wrong.

KK understands that a high pressing game and fluidity of movement, combined with quick, one touch passing in the final third is the way to win games.

It remains to be seen if the players he bought (after a "settling in" season) are able to play the way he wants them to.

No matter what formation we play we still havent got enough good players to make any formation work consistently at the moment.

Vlad, I respect your football judgement enormously, but don't agree with this.

The current team is easily good enough to beat QPR, Wigan and Cardiff without needing penalties.

We are playing a very fluid 442 at times, and at others we are playing a fluid 4231/451

In order to make the pitch big in attack, and small in defense you need pace, movement and crisp passing, especially at the pace KK wants to do it.

At the moment, it's not quite coming off because of our lack of players who get in the box.

Having said that, we are further ahead (in terms of how we are playing) than I expected us to be.

KK isn't really following the Rinus Michels model in the way that Rafa did, and I think that is part of the problem.

In some respects, I think the team is trying to run before it can walk - and by team, I mean the whole of the playing and coaching and medical staff.

There's nothing wrong with aiming high, but before all the pieces are in place, sometimes it's going to go wrong.

KK understands that a high pressing game and fluidity of movement, combined with quick, one touch passing in the final third is the way to win games.

It remains to be seen if the players he bought (after a "settling in" season) are able to play the way he wants them to.

Then why do we rarely see this high pressing game? Today we sat back and I was livid! We're 1-2 down at home to Wigan and we play deep with no urgency or pressing...

Vlad, I respect your football judgement enormously, but don't agree with this.

The current team is easily good enough to beat QPR, Wigan and Cardiff without needing penalties.

I did say that we werent capable of making any particular formation work,with the current players,on a consistent basis.

There is no excuse as to why we didnt beat those teams,we were very average or below average in each game.

I'm merely pointing out that a change in tactics wont do much without a few changes in the playing staff first.

I would have been happy to continue with the shape we ended last season with but accomodating certain players seems to have made that very difficult.

If Kenny believed a high pressing game is the way to win games he wouldn't have us playing so passively without the ball. When we don't have possession we employ exactly the same tactics that Hodgson did. I had flashbacks of Blackpool last season today watching Wigan being allowed to play keepball under no pressure because our players were under instruction to sit back and keep shape.

Obviously I wasn't talking about us you complete mong. Somebody asked why WE shoudn't play him up front his own. I replied because hes never played there for any team.

Not obvious at all if you look back, think your having a bit of a mare & dont really know what you're talking about & you resort to an insult for me correcting you. You complete & utter fuckin bell whiff.