You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

God, Buttler's boring. Play some shots, you barnacle.

It might be boring but it's what the batsmen really need to be doing. You don't necessarily have to score a lot of runs (though that helps!), just occupy the crease, rotate the strike, see off the new ball and dig in to make the Aussies toil a little bit. Right now, the drinks breaks are longer than the openers' time at the crease.

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

It might be boring but it's what the batsmen really need to be doing. You don't necessarily have to score a lot of runs (though that helps!), just occupy the crease, rotate the strike, see off the new ball and dig in to make the Aussies toil a little bit. Right now, the drinks breaks are longer than the openers' time at the crease.

I know, I was just being sarcy.

47 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Be better off with John Crawley , Lawrence of Arabia and a Doorstop.

John Crawley, who faced Akram, Younis, McGrath, etc, etc, and was seen as a failed England player, averaged 35.

Burns 31. Buttler 33. Bairstow 34. Hameed 30. Malan 31. Pope 30. Lawrence 27. Zak Crawley 28.

He'd be one of our best players. Possibly even now at 50.

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

John Crawley, who faced Akram, Younis, McGrath, etc, etc, and was seen as a failed England player, averaged 35.

Burns 31. Buttler 33. Bairstow 34. Hameed 30. Malan 31. Pope 30. Lawrence 27. Zak Crawley 28.

He'd be one of our best players. Possibly even now at 50.

Yeah sadly, I like Malen though at least he has bottle unlike most if not all the others. Going to be a hard few years unless we find some test batsmen.

5 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Yeah sadly, I like Malen though at least he has bottle unlike most if not all the others. Going to be a hard few years unless we find some test batsmen.

Yeah, I do as well. He at least looks like a proper test batsman. 

I don't see the situation changing. Money has made that cunt show "The Hundred" more important than an Ashes series.

10 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yeah, I do as well. He at least looks like a proper test batsman. 

I don't see the situation changing. Money has made that cunt show "The Hundred" more important than an Ashes series.

That ‘ hundred ‘ was awful truly awful won’t watch another second of it.

10 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

This is very true.

Looks like we're back to the bad days of the mid 90's when we couldn't lay a glove on them.

I was just reading this depressing piece- https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/dec/20/an-ashes-whitewash-looked-far-fetched-two-weeks-ago-but-england-are-in-mess-australia-cricket

Up until the turn of the century there had only been one Ashes whitewash in 130 years, and even the most powerful pessimists could hardly worry about how Jack Gregory and Ted McDonald tore through England back in 1921. Things have changed in the last 21 years of Ashes series in Australia. England won three Tests by an innings in 2010-11, but that now looks like a lonely rookery surrounded by the 5-0 before it, the 5-0 after it, and a 4-0 that would have been 5-0 if not for a Melbourne pitch where bowlers could only have made the ball talk through a ouija board.

It isn’t Australian triumphalism or English despair that sees the next three Tests going one way. Outside of that lonely series win a decade ago, England’s win-loss scoreline in Australia for the last 35 years stands at 3-29, which coincidentally is often the local format of the score when they are batting. That is England’s history, but England’s present should be more than enough to worry the current team.

We've been ridiculously shit down under for donkey's years.