You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Film Club

brucespanner

Evening all,

I've just been speaking with Duffman in the 'rate the last film thread' and got to thinking. We were talking about the merit, or lack of, in Lars Von Trier's 'Antichrist' and I enjoyed the debate, so much so that I'm watching Charlotte Gainberg getting rattled as we speak, and I'm looking for the points he made about the film and looking to counter these if I can.

Wouldn't it be good to have not just one or two but many people looking in to great, and not so great, films, and debating the talking points, script, characters, ideas and suchlike?

I was thinking about a book club type scenario, whereby we all watch the film and then discuss the above, and see what others take from it, or hate.

It could be a good way of discovering new films, and ideas about them, that we didn't look for before.

My taste is quite left field so I'm open to suggestions about which films to choose ect

Anybody?

How about "GF film club"?

I have a way with rods sometimes.

Haha that's a genuine typo, I have no idea how I managed to type rods instead of words. I'm keeping it.

Are you going to change it Remmie? It might drum up some interest, instead of that pretentious moniker I bestowed upon it, which in fairness even puts me off.

I would suggest Primer; i loved this when i watched it but had no one else to discuss it with afterwards. Going to give it a second watch.

I would also give mentions to The bothersome man and Fear me not. Two great films that leave you thinking.

Just read IMDb and it sounds interesting, I've not seen it before which is a bonus.

Anybody else interested?

Or any other suggestions?

I'd love to join in mate, this thread is right up my street, but this computer is so fuckin fucked I'd be better off waiting for the Betamax release !

A few of my favourite films, I'd be interested in others views on are Mulholland Drive, The Straight Story, and The Last Temptation of Christ.

I'd love to join in mate, this thread is right up my street, but this computer is so fuckin fucked I'd be better off waiting for the Betamax release !

A few of my favourite films, I'd be interested in others views on are Mulholland Drive, The Straight Story, and The Last Temptation of Christ.

Another good choice, there's so much to look at.

How shall we sort this then, any ideas?

Sort a list of films out and then vote seems easiest, one film choice each and one vote?

Just read IMDb and it sounds interesting, I've not seen it before which is a bonus.

Anybody else interested?

Or any other suggestions?

Primer is great. Low budget and sometimes it's hard to hear what they are saying. Towards the end you're struggling to grasp what's happened/is happening/is going to happen but by the end it kind of sort of makes sense. Ish.

Have you seen Time Crimes? Another good paradoxy type film although not as taxing as Primer.