You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We should have ended the thread there, for it is the greatest album ever.

Mate, don't, it's fucking unlistenable bullshit that should never have seen the light of day. If you ever meet someone who says they like it and listen to it regularly, do one of two things: a) Do yourself a favour and walk away from them. B ) Do everyone else a favour and biff them on the nose for being a complete twat. If Captain Beefheart himself were still alive, not even he would own up to liking that album.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks Trout Mask Replica is anything but unlistenable but some bits of it are pretty funny. I think there are only 2 actually listenable tracks on it. That doesn't mean you can't play it sometimes to scare the kids though.  

I like Trout Mask Replica.

It's far too long and rambling and there's a lot of silly stuff on there, but also some top notch shit like Moonlight on Vermont.

Some great guitar lines and John " Drumbo" French's drumming.

I do like the silly stuff too, but that's probably cos I got it when I was 17 or so.

Same for m re the silly stuff - lads at school used to play it all the time in 6th form so we got into it together.

Moonlight in Vermont is indeed a tune. Beyond that I can only really listen to Ella Guru.

I'm going to go & buy Trout mask replica on the back of this debate, I can always remember it being in my Dad's record collection but never actually being played, it sounds right up my street.

Safe as Milk is my favourite from him, it's actually pretty normal by his standards.   

'I'm Glad' is just a soul song, no frills, no Beefheart-isms, just sang completely straight. 

Edit- Didn't see the other page. cloggy knows. 

Safe as Milk is fab, but my personal fave Beefheart album is The Spotlight Kid/ Clear Spot (think its two separate albums you get bundled into one these days). It treads the line between mad as ostrich shit and the utterly, utterly beautiful 'My Head is My Only House Unless It Rains'. 

Negged.

Mate, don't, it's fucking unlistenable bullshit that should never have seen the light of day. If you ever meet someone who says they like it and listen to it regularly, do one of two things: a) Do yourself a favour and walk away from them. B ) Do everyone else a favour and biff them on the nose for being a complete twat. If Captain Beefheart himself were still alive, not even he would own up to liking that album.

Repped.

People still massively missing the point of this thread. As hard as it might be, pick one album, not ten. Ten is cheating.

I've never heard Trout Mask Replica or any Tom Waits album. I just doubt they would be to my taste.

Exactly! I consider myself half clued up when it comes to music, I've never heard shit loads of the bands before getting onto the albums yet people are pushing them as the greatest.

Then got the cheek to rip into someone for suggesting Oasis there first two Albums most the songs on there are world famous classic anthems.

Exactly! I consider myself half clued up when it comes to music, I've never heard shit loads of the bands before getting onto the albums yet people are pushing them as the greatest.

Then got the cheek to rip into someone for suggesting Oasis there first two Albums most the songs on there are world famous classic anthems.

Haha. Good one, mate.

• Upvote 1

He's a card, this one.

I like TMR, "The dust blows forward and the dust blows back "always reminds me of Bowies "Please Mr Gravedigger"

Exactly! I consider myself a half wit when it comes to music, I've never heard shit loads of the bands before getting onto the albums yet people are pushing them as the greatest.

Harsh but fair.

• Upvote 2

Harsh but fair.

Haha.

I agree with Cloggypop on Forever Changes by the way.

Loads of great albums mentioned on this thread, most of which are nowhere near being the best ever. One album I haven't seen mentioned that really is a great album is Beck's Sea Change, brilliant if you like melancholy.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...