You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Hodgson was never a Liverpool manager. He did well with smaller clubs, but for Liverpool he wasn't a good fit. He was a bit too 'Establishment', and way too deferential to others, such as Alex Ferguson - forgetting that as Liverpool manager he should be going toe-to-toe with Ferguson. His football lacked innovation and we played a boring old 4-4-2 in straight lines. It was a step too far for him to be Liverpool manager, but looking back I want to be a bit more charitable. He came in at a difficult time in our history, and as a man, he always struck me as a decent sort. No hard feelings here. 

Fast forward to England, and today. 

I thought he picked a decent squad for the World Cup, based on the players available. There are some good young players in the mix. It is possible - probably more by luck than design - that he will land on his feet here. Expectations are very low, with many people predicting that England might not even get out of the group. Perhaps there will be a surprise or two in store? 

As an Englishman I hope we do well at the World Cup. Hodgson is in the right job. He is long in the tooth, he has paid his dues, this is the pinnacle - by a long way - for him. Good luck to him. 

Hodgson was never a Liverpool manager. He did well with smaller clubs, but for Liverpool he wasn't a good fit. He was a bit too 'Establishment', and way too deferential to others, such as Alex Ferguson - forgetting that as Liverpool manager he should be going toe-to-toe with Ferguson. His football lacked innovation and we played a boring old 4-4-2 in straight lines. It was a step too far for him to be Liverpool manager, but looking back I want to be a bit more charitable. He came in at a difficult time in our history, and as a man, he always struck me as a decent sort. No hard feelings here. 

Fast forward to England, and today. 

I thought he picked a decent squad for the World Cup, based on the players available. There are some good young players in the mix. It is possible - probably more by luck than design - that he will land on his feet here. Expectations are very low, with many people predicting that England might not even get out of the group. Perhaps there will be a surprise or two in store? 

As an Englishman I hope we do well at the World Cup. Hodgson is in the right job. He is long in the tooth, he has paid his dues, this is the pinnacle - by a long way - for him. Good luck to him.

I admire your patience and forgiving nature here rev, but it's not something I can share.

And I can see the excuses already, picking all the Liverpool players then hanging them out to dry when it goes wrong, instead of looking in the mirror.

He'll play Sturridge out wide to accommodate Rooney & Welbeck then ask him to track back so he plays five yards in front of the full back, all the while he'll be scratching his head wondering why he hasn't scored a hat trick.

• Upvote 1

I like the squad he has picked for the world cup. He isn’t spoilt for choice at the back but midfield and attack is exciting. Wellbeck aside I think England look very good on paper and could spring a surprise. I’m hoping they do well and come home with some pride. That of course will only happen if they reach the semi-finals at least. Nothing heroic about losing on penalties in the quarter finals for the 194th time. The build-up has been subdued but I fully expect people to get right into it over the next 2 weeks. Good luck to them all and if he does reach as far as the semi’s or beyond then he has done a bloody good job and fair-play to him.

All that said, I fucking hate him he is a mongy owl baggy arl cunt the fucking cunt. 

owl-facepalm.gif

• Upvote 1

I've always thought Hodgson was a fraud, a man that ended up in club management by default and has made a career out of not being found out. The man signed Poulsen and Konchesky, attempted to sign Carlton Cole, circumstances aside those signings aren't compatible with selecting players like Sterling, Sturridge and Lallana. It's just not in his DNA, if this was "his" England team then Bobby Zamora would be playing instead of Sturridge, Milner would be playing instead of Sterling and Welbeck would be in ahead of Lallana. Maybe the old cunt is smarter than I give him credit for and he's taken advice on board from Neville or Gerrard or someone who understands football. 

I like the squad he has picked for the world cup. He isn’t spoilt for choice at the back but midfield and attack is exciting. Wellbeck aside I think England look very good on paper and could spring a surprise. I’m hoping they do well and come home with some pride. That of course will only happen if they reach the semi-finals at least. Nothing heroic about losing on penalties in the quarter finals for the 194th time. The build-up has been subdued but I fully expect people to get right into it over the next 2 weeks. Good luck to them all and if he does reach as far as the semi’s or beyond then he has done a bloody good job and fair-play to him.

All that said, I fucking hate him he is a mongy owl baggy arl cunt the fucking cunt. 

owl-facepalm.gif

Yep I hate him but the only real argument you could have with the team the other night was Welbeck starting, just Welbeck starting alone is bad enough but when you've got Sterling, Chamberlain etc on the bench just takes the piss, even if he does pick the right team I wouldn't back him to have a clue how to use them

I read some shit on the BBC website about how he expects all his players to sing the national anthem. It smacks of a typical middle class attitude where it's more important to keep up appearances than actually be effective at anything that matters. Instead of showing how much national pride you have by belting out an anthem, why not try showing it by being the very best you can be and competing toe-to-toe at the actual football with the best in the world instead? That is something the English (and British) have shown in various spheres of life down the centuries. In any case, England's national anthem is one of the most dull national anthems around even though they only play about 20-30 seconds of it. None of the Spanish sing along to their anthem and it's not done them any harm!

I read some shit on the BBC website about how he expects all his players to sing the national anthem. It smacks of a typical middle class attitude where it's more important to keep up appearances than actually be effective at anything that matters. Instead of showing how much national pride you have by belting out an anthem, why not try showing it by being the very best you can be and competing toe-to-toe at the actual football with the best in the world instead? That is something the English (and British) have shown in various spheres of life down the centuries. In any case, England's national anthem is one of the most dull national anthems around even though they only play about 20-30 seconds of it. None of the Spanish sing along to their anthem and it's not done them any harm!

I'd imagine he was asked the question by some twat at the Daily Mail then just replied in a waffly way what he thought they wanted to hear.

The Spanish anthem is just music,there's no words in it. I remember the head of the Spanish fa,I think,once said he'd love words similar to you'll never walk alone to be added to their anthem. Digressing I know.

The Wolves game is deffo in the top 5 of worst Liverpool games I have been to....

Roy also gets a nod in that list with the Northampton game, luckily I never went the Blackburn one....although maybe the Blackburn game ain't too bad as he went after it...silver linings and all that.

Hopefully his full genius will come out for all the country to see in 6 months time.

Thing is he is the only ex-manager I physically hate with a passion, even Souness who was a bit of a cunt when he was here (and the Bristol Rovers game and Coventry away are also in my list) I couldn't hate him as for what he did here as a player....

Birmingham away anyone? a nice nil nil draw with poulsen and konchesky strutting their stuff. i remember going there in the cup when rafa was manager and arse fucking them 7 - 0 a couple of years earlier. bad cunt that hodgson fella. wish i could get even remotely enthusiastic abar england this summer considering theres loads of reds in the squad. then you look at that face rubbing cunt and want to commit suicide : )

Hodgson has picked quite young and exciting players for the squad. Although he hasn't managed to get to the 4-3-3 that he should be playing, he has advanced from two banks of four defending constantly.

This leads me to believe that it's not really him in charge. Who is really pulling the strings in the England camp?

Hodgson has picked quite young and exciting players for the squad. Although he hasn't managed to get to the 4-3-3 that he should be playing, he has advanced from two banks of four defending constantly.

This leads me to believe that it's not really him in charge. Who is really pulling the strings in the England camp?

9780747215394.jpg

I read some shit on the BBC website about how he expects all his players to sing the national anthem.

I think it all depends on the player. Some need a few moments of introspection, others want the adrenaline rush that we all experience when we belt out a song together.

• Upvote 1

I think Hodgson has named a decent squad based on the players available to him, but like others, I am perplexed by Wellbeck's inclusion in the team. Given the paucity of options, I can understand him being in the squad, but not the team, and definitely not in a left attacking midfield role. Raheem Sterling? Oxlade-Chaberlain? 

In fact, I'd put these two players in the team in place of Wellbeck and Rooney. 

• Upvote 1