You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

If public pensions are unaffordable then faze them out all together for all prospective new entrants or offer them a greatly reduced deal which they'll either accept or won't; don't start moving the goalposts for deals that have long ago been agreed...... MP's pensions are shit hot you say? Well I never.....

Excellent post. Totally disagree with you Paul about the 'higher calling' I find that tone patronising. Us mere morals should apparently be grateful that you have chosen to lower your life's worth to benefit society. Do me a favour.

Whilst the teaching profession undoubtedly benefits society it's hardly running into burning buildings.

Ah, so we come down to it now, don't we? Even though I have passed not a single comment on any other job, be it in the public or private sector, you have inferred a meaning I didn't imply. A higher calling is not the term I would use (I prefer the word vocation), but what it amounts to is a summation of what I put into my work. For me, it is about much more than a job. It feels like a profound responsibility and also a great privilege to educate young people to me. That said, I don't expect my employer to take the piss.

Many people are employed in contexts where they turn up, work hard, go home and, by and large, switch off. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. In fact we'd be fucked if that wasn't the case and I understand it because I've been there myself. However, I was brought up by a social worker and social housing manager (my parents) to believe that life is about more than self; it's about what you can do for others. That is why I teach. I feel a strong need to do something for other people and teaching fulfills that urge.

You appear to be taking my views and feelings about what I do and interpreting that to mean I'm critical of people who don't feel that way. That is emphatically not the case. At no stage have I commenting on anything anyone else does or talked down to them; ergo i am not being patronising. Despite that, it seems what I say makes you feel uncomfortable.

If that's the case you need to look to yourself rather than what I've said. In fact if anyone has a right to feel insulted in this ongoing debate it would be me as you repeatedly criticise, belittle and impugn my job on here. I don't overreact or accuse you though; I simply try to explain how I feel and why I do what I do. I'm sorry that offends you so much but I think you should look to yourself first mate.

But as a fair minded individual would you not except that the public sector will inevitably have to take it's share of the pain the rest of the economy is going through? Or are public sector employees immune to the global financial situation?

That's why, as a fair-minded individual, I haven't passed a single comment on the pay freeze I'm currently subject to - which is obviously a reduction in wages. My union hasn't balloted for action over that. Also, as a fair-minded individual, I've referred to the possibility of re-drawing the rules for new entrants to the profession.

It's becoming abundantly clear why the government is being so intractable in negotiations on this issue. They actually want the strike because they know they can deflect the blame for their appalling handling of the economy that is seeing redundancies being made left, right and centre (including in teaching for whoever threw that one about job security out there earlier - 30 redundancies at my place this year; dozens more across Merseyside) onto an easy scapegoat: public servants.

It's amazing the lack of goodwill there is towards the people on the front-line doing their best every day. I don't think I would ever criticise anyone trying to defend the future wellbeing of their families, which is what this amounts to. Still, Thatcher destroyed any notion of society decades ago; we're all just out for number one now, aren't we?

If that were true, I can assure you that no-one would ever work in contexts like mine. People do not teach in severely deprived communities for the money or the holidays. Obviously those things are good, but there are plenty of easier (although not easy) schools to earn a crust in.

People outside teaching never really understand the emotional aspect to the job. It is not about turning up, going through a few processes and switching off at the end of the day. It's about shaping lives. In my view, it emphatically is a higher calling.

Ah, so we come down to it now, don't we? Even though I have passed not a single comment on any other job, be it in the public or private sector, you have inferred a meaning I didn't imply. A higher calling is not the term I would use (I prefer the word vocation), but what it amounts to is a summation of what I put into my work. For me, it is about much more than a job. It feels like a profound responsibility and also a great privilege to educate young people to me. That said, I don't expect my employer to take the piss.

Many people are employed in contexts where they turn up, work hard, go home and, by and large, switch off. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. In fact we'd be fucked if that wasn't the case and I understand it because I've been there myself. However, I was brought up by a social worker and social housing manager (my parents) to believe that life is about more than self; it's about what you can do for others. That is why I teach. I feel a strong need to do something for other people and teaching fulfills that urge.

You appear to be taking my views and feelings about what I do and interpreting that to mean I'm critical of people who don't feel that way. That is emphatically not the case. At no stage have I commenting on anything anyone else does or talked down to them; ergo i am not being patronising. Despite that, it seems what I say makes you feel uncomfortable.

If that's the case you need to look to yourself rather than what I've said. In fact if anyone has a right to feel insulted in this ongoing debate it would be me as you repeatedly criticise, belittle and impugn my job on here. I don't overreact or accuse you though; I simply try to explain how I feel and why I do what I do. I'm sorry that offends you so much but I think you should look to yourself first mate.

You used the term higher calling yourself Paul they were not my words. If you can show me were I have insulted you or your profession I will happily withdraw the comments and apologise.

You yourself using the term higher calling does to me imply that you attach a far greater level of significance to your job than to many others. I am not saying you do not have the right to do that it's your choice but I do think it is a little bit precious of you be get so defensive when someone question that importance.

You used the term higher calling yourself Paul they were not my words. If you can show me were I have insulted you or your profession I will happily withdraw the comments and apologise.

You yourself using the term higher calling does to me imply that you attach a far greater level of significance to your job than to many others. I am not saying you do not have the right to do that it's your choice but I do think it is a little bit precious of you be get so defensive when someone question that importance.

I used the term in reference to someone else's comment. Check back. But again, I'm not being precious, mate. You called me patronising; I'm defending myself. You've repeatedly have a pop at my profession on here over the years, initially ranting about it and then, I assume when it became clear you were actually ranting at real teachers, more tongue in cheek. You think we have an easy life, don't you? You've said as much. That could well be seen as insulting.

I'm not seeing my arse with you or ranting; I'm just disagreeing with you.

I do respect teachers and yes fair enough in the past I have had a dig probably unfairly. I've said before we have numerous friends who are teachers and this has done more to form my impression of the profession than anything else.

Anyway get back to your deck chair in the garden some of us in the private sector have work to do.

I used the term in reference to someone else's comment. Check back. But again, I'm not being precious, mate. You called me patronising; I'm defending myself. You've repeatedly have a pop at my profession on here over the years, initially ranting about it and then, I assume when it became clear you were actually ranting at real teachers, more tongue in cheek. You think we have an easy life, don't you? You've said as much. That could well be seen as insulting.

I'm not seeing my arse with you or ranting; I'm just disagreeing with you.

I find it strange that people would ever think that myself.

Miles Templeman, director general of the Institute of Directors told the BBC he believes the strikes have the potential to damage the UK economy.

BBC News - Public sector strike hits services and schools

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Institute of Directors IoD.jpg

Type Professional Organization

Founded 1903

Location Pall Mall, London

Area served UK and worldwide

Focus Business

Method Industry standards, Conferences, Publications

Members 43,786 (2009)

Website The Institute of Directors'

Institute of Directors, Pall Mall, London

The Institute of Directors (IoD) is a UK-based organisation, established in 1903 and incorporated by royal charter in 1906 to support, represent and set standards for company directors. It occupies grade I listed premises on Pall Mall, London built 1826-28 to the designs of John Nash.

Directors in Britain's top 100 companies have accumulated final salary retirement pots worth £2.8m on average, according to figures that reveal a widening gap between the pensions awarded to boardroom executives and the shop floor.

New Statesman - The "great pensions divide"

I'll leave the rest of you to draw up the dots. Suffice to say I wish AIDS on the BBC. Did I mention they are cunts? Did I not mention that all the parties are the same. Maybe some people will hear that now.

Cost of paying public sector pensions in 2009/10: £4 billion.

Cost of tax relief to the 1% of population on more than £150,000: over £8 billion

But as a fair minded individual would you not except that the public sector will inevitably have to take it's share of the pain the rest of the economy is going through? Or are public sector employees immune to the global financial situation?

As a fair minded individual i could think of a lot of other places that could "take it's share of the pain" That's just one example.

Dr Andrew Rowland, who also backed the move, said doctors could take various forms of industrial action short of an actual strike, such as refusing to work unpaid overtime and "working without enthusiasm".

I won this concession from my employer years ago - the doctors need to put their foot down here!

Cost of paying public sector pensions in 2009/10: £4 billion.

Cost of tax relief to the 1% of population on more than £150,000: over £8 billion

As a fair minded individual i could think of a lot of other places that could "take it's share of the pain" That's just one example.

Christ on a bike! Is that true? If so, fuck me! That sounds fuck all like a fairer society, Nick "Dave's bitch" Clegg. Certainly sounds like one rule for the toffs and another for the oiks though, eh, Mr "I've used the NHS" Cameron?

Who'd have thought privileged old Etonians would leave their own untouched while they fucked over everyone else? This economy was fucked over by the rich and yet they're still fucking it for all it's worth right now.

Christ on a bike! Is that true? If so, fuck me! That sounds fuck all like a fairer society, Nick "Dave's bitch" Clegg. Certainly sounds like one rule for the toffs and another for the oiks though, eh, Mr "I've used the NHS" Cameron?

Who'd have thought privileged old Etonians would leave their own untouched while they fucked over everyone else? This economy was fucked over by the rich and yet they're still fucking it for all it's worth right now.

It's almost too good to be true isn't it? Actually £4 billion, or more fairly, £4.4 billion is what civil servants actually contributed themselves to the 4 largest pension pots in 2009.

And the rest, £14.9 billion, is what the taxpayers contributed. A fairer society I'm sure you'll agree for those in normally paid private sector jobs. To the left we're funding overly generous taxpayer funded pensions and to the right being exploited and ripped off by greedy financiers and companies shipping our jobs overseas.

Sympathy may be in short supply.

Public sector pensions to cost taxpayer £10bn a year by 2016: by numbers - Telegraph

Edited by kelster

It's almost too good to be true isn't it? Actually £4 billion, or more fairly, £4.4 billion is what civil servants actually contributed themselves to the 4 largest pension pots in 2009.

And the rest, £14.9 billion, is what the taxpayers contributed. A fairer society I'm sure you'll agree for those in normally paid private sector jobs. To the left we're funding overly generous taxpayer funded pensions and to the right being exploited and ripped off by greedy financiers and companies shipping our jobs overseas.

Sympathy may be in short supply.

Public sector pensions to cost taxpayer £10bn a year by 2016: by numbers - Telegraph

Incredible.

sugarape.jpg

Oh Sugar Ape, slower than a week in jail. If you'd bothered to use those podgy simian fingers to click the link you'd have found that it was the Telegraph. I guess actually checking it out is too much to ask. Expect the comeback to be that they're all as bad as one another.

Sure you can find the same data elsewhere if you can be bothered.

I'd actually agree with the teachers if we had the best educated children in the world. As it is there's a significant percentage of teacher not up to the job, being carried by their colleagues and just waiting to retire. The upshot is that a lot of people leave school not being able to read and write.

I work with a bloke (ex public sector as the company was privatised), he gets more annual leave and pays less into his pension to get the same amount as me.

Both his parents were teachers and were minted.

He can piss money away because when both his parents are dead his huge mortgage will be paid off.

The problems now aren't solely the fault of the banks. They funded the bloated state Labour created. When the bubble burst, there wasn't the money to keep it running.

I'll never get over one council advertising for a bouncy castle attendant. A part time job paying £12K.

I'd actually agree with the teachers if we had the best educated children in the world. As it is there's a significant percentage of teacher not up to the job, being carried by their colleagues and just waiting to retire. The upshot is that a lot of people leave school not being able to read and write.

I work with a bloke (ex public sector as the company was privatised), he gets more annual leave and pays less into his pension to get the same amount as me.

Both his parents were teachers and were minted.

He can piss money away because when both his parents are dead his huge mortgage will be paid off.

The problems now aren't solely the fault of the banks. They funded the bloated state Labour created. When the bubble burst, there wasn't the money to keep it running.

I'll never get over one council advertising for a bouncy castle attendant. A part time job paying £12K.

I could rip this to shreds, especially the bit in bold. Thats one of the most ignorant, blase, sweeping statements Ive read on here. Unbelievable. However, you're lucky as I dont have time.

In summary. You're wrong.

sugarape.jpg

Oh Sugar Ape, slower than a week in jail. If you'd bothered to use those podgy simian fingers to click the link you'd have found that it was the Telegraph. I guess actually checking it out is too much to ask. Expect the comeback to be that they're all as bad as one another.

Sure you can find the same data elsewhere if you can be bothered.

I was aware the link was from the Telegraph. It was especially clear since at the end of the link it says ' Telegraph '.

The neg was to suggest you may be more at home trolling the Daily Mail boards, rather than making a tit of yourself on here. I thought that was pretty obvious.

I was aware the link was from the Telegraph. It was especially clear since at the end of the link it says ' Telegraph '.

The neg was to suggest you may be more at home trolling the Daily Mail boards, rather than making a tit of yourself on here. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Brilliant. On both counts. Maybe a bit more respect if you'd actually come clean. In hindsight it is not the greatest idea to neg with dailymail.co.uk in a post where another newspaper was quoted in case it get misconstrued. Instead of negging my "tit" post which only contained mostly factual statistics you could have gone with a "tit" post that contained opinion if it offended you so much.

And having an opposing view is now worthy of the Daily Mail? You really are the smallest of people if you truly think that.

Edited by kelster

You sound surprised.

Brilliant. On both counts. Maybe a bit more respect if you'd actually come clean. Maybe in hindsight it is not the greatest idea to neg with Home | Mail Online in a post where another newspaper was quoted in case it get misconstrued. Instead of negging my "tit" post which only contained factual statistics you could have gone with a "tit" post that contained opinion if it offended you so much.

And having an opposing view is now worthy of the Daily Mail? You really are the smallest of people if you truly think that.

You think I'm really that arsed if you misconstrue why I negged you? Deal with it and stop moaning about getting negged. Bitch.