You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"The proof is in the pudding"

Redder Lurtz

• 4 months later...

For Fathers' Day, someone on Facebook has posted this.

934928_10200828441867411_1431477144_n.jpg

Now, I've got no qualms about the sentiment, but I'm concerned about this other man (presumably the biological father) leaving pieces of baseball equipment on the table. Maybe that's why Mum kicked him out.

• 6 months later...

It's not an error if you speak English rather than French. You would say "on the way", so what is technically wrong with it?

Just playing Diable's advocate ...

"On route", if you're speaking English, needs a definite article between the words (unless you're a massive Wool, "on route from 'Aaydock t' Paarbold").

"On route", if you're speaking English, needs a definite article between the words (unless you're a massive Wool, "on route from 'Aaydock t' Paarbold").

"On top". "On target". "On time".

More generally, grammar and definitions always reflect a living, changing language, rather than constrict it. Words aren't to be pinned down to admire, like dead butterflies, until they become dessicated.

• 6 months later...

"Ten year anniversary".

This tautological bullshit has even increasingly been aired by BBC newsreaders recently. It's a "tenth anniversary" you shitwits!

And as for people who say "It's our 6-month anniversary" - I've checked the statute books and found that it's perfectly legal to punch these people repeatedly in the face.

So, today I found myself in a restaurant on the premises of a large sporting establishment in L4.  They have display cases of memorabilia, including a commemorative shield, awarded to the winners of a sporting contest held to mark the centenary of the birth of a manager of said establishment.  The engraving on the shield didn't read "centenary", nor even "100th anniversary".

They actually engraved "100 year anniversary" on a silver trophy and put it on display, just to annoy pedants like me.

Unforgivable.

• 4 months later...

IT lads deal with smelly underwear and world of Warcraft. I remember when an IT lad got funny to me for not knowing something I asked him to do that he thought was a piece of piss. I asked him to follow me and walked him across a sales floor to my team and announced to them all that he was going to be managing them from now on. He fucked off straight away when they all started pissing themselves at him. Funnily enough he always dealt with any issues me or my team had right away after that.

Fucking geeks

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I thought a lad I work with's missus was called maud for years. But apparently she isn't, saying "our maud" is like "the wife" or "her indoors".

Yep, heard that a couple of times. Weirdos.

I thought a lad I work with's missus was called maud for years. But apparently she isn't, saying "our maud" is like "the wife" or "her indoors".

I had something similar the other way round.  For years, I thought one of the girls in work was referring to her daughter as "our Tilly" in the generic, "Tilly Mint" sense.  No.  It's her real name.  Poor cow.

She's probably also got a son called Softlad.