You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

26 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Not quite the defeat, but a 3-match ban for Calvert-Lewin, McNeil injured and Gueye off to Africa sets them up nicely for the next few league games.

And another game for them to stretch their shite squad and hopefully get more injuries 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, redinblack said:

Whoever the female pundit is on their game tonight can fuck off. Calvert Lewin went studs up on Clyne but only caught him a little bit so shouldn't be red. Fuck Right Off. Any further into his leg its a breaker.

Bollocks. The games gone. 

No force at all and barely makes contact and we’re re-refereeing games to force red cards where there isn’t one.

that’s a dreadful decision and the game steadily gets worse.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bob said:

No force at all and barely makes contact and we’re re-refereeing games to force red cards where there isn’t one.

That's a red all day in the modern game, has been for years. 

I watched it without any sound, so I wasn't influenced by any commentary and as soon as I saw it I was shocked the ref hadn't given red right away.  

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

That's a red all day in the modern game, has been for years. 

I watched it without any sound, so I wasn't influenced by any commentary and as soon as I saw it I was shocked the ref hadn't given red right away.  

I didn’t see it full speed. I’d drifted off as the game was boring as hell, so only ever saw it in replays which always make things look worse and it didn’t look bad at all, so I’m sticking with my opinion even if i must acknowledge it’s half formed.

And “in the modern game” is half the problem.

loads of shit is wrong with the modern game.

9 minutes ago, Bob said:

I didn’t see it full speed. I’d drifted off as the game was boring as hell, so only ever saw it in replays which always make things look worse and it didn’t look bad at all, so I’m sticking with my opinion even if i must acknowledge it’s half formed.

I've just seen the slow motion replay now and (in my utterly, utterly unbiased view) it's a red.  He slides in recklessly, with studs well raised.  The fact that Clyne escaped injury is neither here nor there: it's Calvert-Lewin's challenge, not the outcome, that matters.  (For the same reason, Jones at Spurs was never a red, even though the Spurs player did get injured.)

Screenshot_2024-01-04-22-40-19-12_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

I don't argue the game needs to change and look at some of these tackle. But that's not the point here for me, he went with his studs at least half way up the shin sliding in. That's just not a tackle that's been allowed for years. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

No, that's bollocks.

How do you know that barely made contact? Clyne stayed down and went off shortly after. CLs studs were well over the ball.

Intent or careless, either way a red.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've just seen the slow motion replay now and (in my utterly, utterly unbiased view) it's a red.  He slides in recklessly, with studs well raised.  The fact that Clyne escaped injury is neither here nor there: it's Calvert-Lewin's challenge, not the outcome, that matters.  (For the same reason, Jones at Spurs was never a red, even though the Spurs player did get injured.)

Screenshot_2024-01-04-22-40-19-12_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

The three classifications are;

Careless- Punishment is just a free kick etc. Obviously persistent 'careless' offences will lead to a caution.

Reckless - This is instructed to be without regard for a fellow player's wellbeing (or some other similar wording.) And an automatic caution.

Excessive Force - This is an automatic sending off as it's considered a challenge which endangers an opponent. 

With both Excessive Force and Reckless there doesn't need to be contact for the referee to deem it an offence. 

This is sort of how I remember them grouping the offences together on my recent referee's course.

PS. There has been no such thing as obstruction for a while. Dangerous play or acting in a dangerous manner is judged by contact or not. Contact equals direct free kick while no contact dangerous play is indirect.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bob said:

Agreed. The post reeked of something a bitter would say if that happened to us.

Maybe a yellow because there was little force. Context should matter. Reminds me of the Jones one recently. 

9 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Punishment should be based on the actions taken rather than the outcome. A lunge with studs up could break a leg; you don’t have to confirm the leg has been broken before awarding a red card. 

That's exactly what has happened here in line with what I posted earlier. In real time it would have passed but with VAR its given and will not be rescinded as its within the refs remit regarding the LOTG.

21 minutes ago, TheSire said:

Agreed. The post reeked of something a bitter would say if that happened to us.

Maybe a yellow because there was little force. Context should matter. Reminds me of the Jones one recently. 

The context of sliding in studs first should matter.

It's nothing like the Jones one, for the reasons of... well, the rules of football.